Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/21/2003 5:19:36 AM EDT
I purchased a Trijicon TA01NSN in October.
I went out yesterday to site it in for the first time.

Parts:
Trijicon TA01NSN with Trijicon flattop mount.
Colt M4 flattop upper 14.5".
KAC RAS II.
KAC 300 Meter flip-up rear sight.
Winchester Q3131A.

Now sighting in at 25 yards gun shoots WAY left, I'm talking 6-8 feet. I try adjusting the scope using the L/R dial, with no improvement.
I take off the scope flip up the rear site and dead on target. Able to hit dead on at 100 yards no prob.

Put the scope back on, making sure everything looks straight, and the scope still puts the POI way left. Like 10-12 feet at 100 yards.

Also I noticed the front site blade is off center to the right. Pic added.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this a send back to Trijicon fix.

I bought the scope NIB.

Thank You for everyone's input.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 5:54:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd send it back to Trijicon. Hopefully, they get it right the first time.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 5:56:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Can't help with the most important part of the scope windage itself, but every TA01NSN has its front sight off center, I drifted mine to the left.  I trust you've adjusted the windage on the scope, still it's strange....I didn't even have to zero mine, took it to the range and it was spot on at 100yds.  I'd give Trijicon a call, or shoot it with another magnified optic to see if it's the problem with the rifle itself.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:13:08 AM EDT
[#3]
It could be the mount also.  I agree, send it back to trijicon with the mount.  Sometimes people have problems with irons and excess windage because of over-torqued barrels, then the optics shoot just fine.  Never heard of the irons being fine and the optics not.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:30:35 AM EDT
[#4]
First point to check any time you do something like this is make sure the scope is secured to the mount properly and the mount is secured to the rail properly.

In particular, if you don't tighten the screws well and/or use loctite, the screws attaching the ACOG to the mount can work loose from the vibration of shooting.

If your ACOG is already zeroed this normally shows itself as a horizontal drift of the zero to the left or right; but I imagine if your ACOG wasn't zeroed to begin with or the screws very secure, it could be immensely frustrating.

I've never seen it happen in a flattop mount before but I've witnessed it in carry handle mounting.

Once you rule these two options out as the possible source of the problem, I'd send it back to Trijicon.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:54:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I just called Trijicon and got an RMA.

I did check everything yesterday. All was secured and installed properly.

Just now I took off the upper, took out the bolt and aimed the bore out to about 100 yards onto the golf course. With the irons it all lined up. With the scope on the crosshairs were way off the the right. Thus my POI would have been way off to the left. The L/R windage dial spins and clicks, but doesn't seem to change the crosshairs at all.

Oh well, I got the lemon from the factory.

BTW, the people at Trijicon were very nice and helpful.

Link Posted: 11/21/2003 10:03:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I dont have much experience with the ACOGS but with guns in general yes. From what you say and the pic, your optics are ok. Sounds like youre trying to match the optics to the irons but i think that your iron is off center WAY right, that would put your POA/POI WAY left. Get the front sight fixed
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 10:30:11 AM EDT
[#7]
No no.
Let me be more clear. Sorry.

I was benchrest shooting the AR. Aiming at a target with the scope and trying to adjust the crosshairs to the POI.

I do not use the Trijicon iron sites at all, just noticed how off it is on the front blade.

The irons I use are my FSB on my Colt upper, and KAC 300meter BUIS.
Mounting the scope on the upper right out of the box should not shoot way off to the left.

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/072676-big.JPG[/img]

Link Posted: 11/27/2003 8:26:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Not that this affects sighting in, but your castle nut is on backwards.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 8:31:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I think it most likly the mount, and suggest getting a dif. one to see if it fixes the problem.
Jack
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 5:37:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Not that this affects sighting in, but your castle nut is on backwards.
View Quote

LOL.....oops yes it is.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 3:00:55 PM EDT
[#11]
LOL!  Funny you should mention the front sight blade on the backup being off to the right.  I just noticed the same thing on mine (also newly purchased this year) and thought I got a bad one.  I then looked for some pics on the 'net and noticed that all of the ones I could find (closeups) were the same way.  Guess their all that way...

Hope you get the internal windage problem sorted out though...

hsld.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top