Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/26/2006 6:10:34 PM EDT
First let me say I think this site is great. Out of all the post I have read, I have yet to see one flame war, it is nice to see that people can dissagree and not get flamed for it.  First question... I understand the need to be able to carry a lot of ammo when in combat and the .223 is good for that. But why other than that would the military choose a calibar with such a small slug? I assume the high vilocity makes up for the size? Is there a website or a place at AR-15 that has all the terms used for the rifle and other things to do with the sport like MOA, etc. I have looked on AR-15 but have yet to find anything, unless I just haven't found it yet.
I would also like to say thanks to all who give the information for us newbies to learn, and to all who have in the past, who are now and who will in the future, serve our country...I salute you, and you have my deepest respect. hail2.gif
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:13:49 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
First let me say I think this site is great. Out of all the post I have read, I have yet to see one flame war, it is nice to see that people can dissagree and not get flamed for it.  First question... I understand the need to be able to carry a lot of ammo when in combat and the .223 is good for that. But why other than that would the military choose a calibar with such a small slug? I assume the high vilocity makes up for the size? Is there a website or a place at AR-15 that has all the terms used for the rifle and other things to do with the sport like MOA, etc. I have looked on AR-15 but have yet to find anything, unless I just haven't found it yet.
I would also like to say thanks to all who give the information for us newbies to learn, and to all who have in the past, who are now and who will in the future, serve our country...I salute you, and you have my deepest respect.

This is where everyone says, "read the ammo oracle."  its www.ammo-oracle.com.  That explains alot of the effectiveness of the 5.56.  As for the why, that's a different story and as for terms, read a manual for the ar15.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:15:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome to the site! Actually, there are LOTS of flame wars here, but most are kinda fun. I take it you haven't read the Oracle? Read that, lots of  info about the 5.56x45 (.223) cartridge.

Oracle

In a nutshell, yes, the velocity makes up for the small bullet size, for the most part. The general consensus is that it's even more damagin to people than the 7.62x51 inside 100 yds (at least from a 20" barrel, using normal NATO pressure FMJ ammo).
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:16:32 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have yet to see one flame war

Aint been here long have you?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:27:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope...now I'm on my way to the oracle...
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:32:16 PM EDT
[#5]
You seem like a real nice person, lots of people here give good advise and are very helpful, there are some tho that will stomp on every question you ask. The good ones here far outweigh the bad ones tho.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:34:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope...now I'm on my way to the oracle...

All you have to do is search Colt, and you will find millions of flame wars here. ARFCOM I think holds the guiness book of world records of the most flame wars on a forum.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:04:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Welcome to the board, but beware that some people are just full of sarcasm and derive great pleasure in tormenting others.  But some are great people with lots of advice to give.  You may not get flammed but you may need thick skin at times.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:47:23 PM EDT
[#8]

He went to go read the oracle at 10:27.

That's the last we've seen of him for the evening.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top