Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 263
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 5:16:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mr_h] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By joglee:
So where's a good place to buy a CHF middy? Doesn't have to be DD.
View Quote
BA made a run of hanson CHF chomeline middys....i just bought one and had decent groups at 75yds with 2MOA aimpoint.

BA chrome mid CHF
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 7:26:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I spoke with Brownell's early this morning and after the young man spoke with someone else, I was told ET shipping was "early April"
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 8:18:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Tejas1836:
I spoke with Brownell's early this morning and after the young man spoke with someone else, I was told ET shipping was "early April"
View Quote
Seems to be in line with what Bill said on the livestream
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 9:34:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Vapor-Trail:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Well once I get my PEQ2 I might just pre order one. Plenty of time to put the money aside.

Finishing my upstairs is killing my gun money
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 9:37:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By FREEFALLE7:
Well once I get my PEQ2 I might just pre order one. Plenty of time to put the money aside.

View All Quotes

PEQ2?!?

Olllld school.

You’re my boy, Blue!
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 11:56:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FreefallRet] [#6]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
PEQ2?!?

Olllld school.

You're my boy, Blue!
View All Quotes

PEQ2?!?

Olllld school.

You're my boy, Blue!
Yep

Going on my block I, far right. I plan on getting a second one for my SPR and then a PEQ15 for my Block II.

So figure another $3k I gotta spend

Link Posted: 1/13/2018 2:25:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Any current Brownell's codes?
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 3:29:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Any current Brownell's codes?
View Quote
there is a thread in the Brownells section under the industry fourm that people usually post current coupon codes.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 4:53:19 PM EDT
[#9]
It'd be interesting to see a side-by-side comparison of the SPR/Mk12, a Recce or Mod H, and one of these URGI with a 1-6 Vortex. Use 262 or a 262 clone, chrono everything, do groups, and comparisons on steel at known/unknown distances.

Anyone up for doing that?
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 5:40:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By lancecriminal86:
It'd be interesting to see a side-by-side comparison of the SPR/Mk12, a Recce or Mod H, and one of these URGI with a 1-6 Vortex. Use 262 or a 262 clone, chrono everything, do groups, and comparisons on steel at known/unknown distances.

View Quote
The SPRs should do better because of the heavy match grade barrel alone.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 5:58:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dog_dad] [#11]
Early April?

I was hoping it'd ship earlier.

I'm mostly in it for the rail and barrel.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 6:03:54 PM EDT
[#12]
M7Z

10% off + free shipping
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 6:14:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By pezboytate:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lancecriminal86:

True, but that's not everything about what the SPR/Recce programs were looking to do (group sizes). As the Mk12 was ultimately passed by for shorter and lighter (or .308) options I'd like to see an overall review including balance, weight, handling, target transition, and any maintenance needs. I can't really flog on the issued SPR upper, and I just let my Mod H upper go so I'm not really in a position to do it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 7:26:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#14]
Originally I had planned on waiting for someone to throw a MK16 up in the EE and build my own, but since I see the barrels are supposedly special sauce and even if someone did pull a rail and put it up in the EE, I'm sure they'd be asking $700+, so I'm thinking my best bet is to just get in line on a stripped version. That way I can add my own 4P and swap the Geissele gas block out for a DD MK12 and have a 100% correct clone.

ETA: I just realized the stripped upper route still wouldn't give me a 100% correct URG-I. The stripped upper doesn't include a charging handle, so I'd have to use one of my own DDC Airborne handles and they aren't marked properly. Mine have the commercial markings and the URG-I's have subdued markings. Guess I need to figure out how much that matters to me.

I really do not want the complete upper because it's too far off from being 100% correct, IMO. Upper receiver is wrong, muzzle device is wrong, gas block is wrong, and BCG is wrong. The only things 100% correct on the complete uppers are the barrel and rail. The muzzle device is obvious as to why it's wrong. The upper receiver and BCG are wrong because they aren't Colt/FN made and marked. The gas block is wrong because it's not a MK12 gas block.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 7:44:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#15]
Originally Posted By cjwwd2:
M7Z

10% off + free shipping
View Quote
Just used this code for $63 off another tan EXPS3-0 for the Block II. Thank you, sir.

Now, back to Block III stuff.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 7:47:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 871JZ:
Originally I had planned on waiting for someone to throw a MK16 up in the EE and build my own, but since I see the barrels are supposedly special sauce and even if someone did pull a rail and put it up in the EE, I'm sure they'd be asking $700+, so I'm thinking my best bet is to just get in line on a stripped version. That way I can add my own 4P and swap the Geissele gas block out for a DD MK12 and have a 100% correct clone.

ETA: I just realized the stripped upper route still wouldn't give me a 100% correct URG-I. The stripped upper doesn't include a charging handle, so I'd have to use one of my own DDC Airborne handles and they aren't marked properly. Mine have the commercial markings and the URG-I's have subdued markings. Guess I need to figure out how much that matters to me.

I really do not want the complete upper because it's too far off from being 100% correct, IMO. Upper receiver is wrong, muzzle device is wrong, gas block is wrong, and BCG is wrong. The only things 100% correct on the complete uppers are the barrel and rail. The muzzle device is obvious as to why it's wrong. The upper receiver and BCG are wrong because they aren't Colt/FN made and marked. The gas block is wrong because it's not a MK12 gas block.
View Quote
That's the conundrum for those wanting a correct clone. You'd have to buy a complete commercial URG-I, partial commercial URG-I, USGI upper, USGI BCG, Mk12 gas block, and 4 prong then sell off everything you don't need. That's a bit rediculous. If they just sold the rail and charging handle separately it wouldn't be a problem.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 7:53:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#17]
That's the conundrum for those wanting a correct clone. You'd have to buy a complete commercial URG-I, partial commercial URG-I, USGI upper, USGI BCG, Mk12 gas block, and 4 prong then sell off everything you don't need. That's a bit rediculous. If they just sold the rail and charging handle separately it wouldn't be a problem.
View All Quotes

Exactly. Not sure what I'm gonna do because I want it done right, but I'm not gonna be 100% stupid about it.

I wish Geissele would just make the damn rail available separately. Not only do clone guys want it, but it's also better than the MK4/MK8/MK13/MK14, so just like any other new rail they bring to market, lots of people will want the rail, but won't want it in clone configuration because they want to roll their own uppers. I know a few cloners who want this, but can't or don't want to spend $1400 on it. If the rail was sold as a standalone item, those guys would buy them, along with the non-clone guys who simply want the latest and greatest rail from the G team. I might be wrong, but it seems Geissele would do better with sales this way. Just imagine the small numbers of these uppers they'll sell compared to the number of rails they'd sell individually.

I'm a yuuge Geissele fan, but the more I think about it, the more I think it's silly of them to call this a URG-I upper assembly and market it to the clone crowd when nothing is clone correct aside from the rail and barrel. Oh, yeah. And the gas tube.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 9:19:58 PM EDT
[#18]

Exactly. Not sure what I'm gonna do because I want it done right, but I'm not gonna be 100% stupid about it.

I wish Geissele would just make the damn rail available separately. Not only do clone guys want it, but it's also better than the MK4/MK8/MK13/MK14, so just like any other new rail they bring to market, lots of people will want the rail, but won't want it in clone configuration because they want to roll their own uppers. I know a few cloners who want this, but can't or don't want to spend $1400 on it. If the rail was sold as a standalone item, those guys would buy them, along with the non-clone guys who simply want the latest and greatest rail from the G team. I might be wrong, but it seems Geissele would do better with sales this way. Just imagine the small numbers of these uppers they'll sell compared to the number of rails they'd sell individually.

I'm a yuuge Geissele fan, but the more I think about it, the more I think it's silly of them to call this a URG-I upper assembly and market it to the clone crowd when nothing is clone correct aside from the rail and barrel. Oh, yeah. And the gas tube.
View Quote
Agreed. It would be a huge step forward at least if they used the correct gas block on the stripped version.

Maybe we should ask them. What do y'all think?
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 9:27:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Agreed. It would be a huge step forward at least if they used the correct gas block on the stripped version.

View All Quotes

A little birdy in the know told me if enough of us directly tell Bill exactly what 871JZ just said, he can be persuaded.

Meaning yes. We should all tell tell him we want the ability to buy the rail separate, to build it to exact  issued spec
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 9:48:48 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm still awaiting this upper to be SOCOM wide, also waiting for all of the details to arise so I don't have to keep chasing down parts.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 9:53:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:
A little birdy in the know told me if enough of us directly tell Bill exactly what 871JZ just said, he can be persuaded.

Meaning yes. We should all tell tell him we want the ability to buy the rail separate, to build it to exact  issued spec
View All Quotes

It seems they listened to us when we asked that they return to the set screw anti-rotation tabs so there may be a shot.

#sellthemk16separately might not be catchy enough

I would disagree with @871JZ that the MK16 is necessarily better than the MK4, MK8, MK13, or MK14 though. It will probably be more popular and may very well replace one or both eventually but they all have their pros. The MK8 is the sturdiest/strongest, some prefer a wider + shaped rail, and you can actually use the MLok slots near the barrel nut. The MK14 is most likely skinnier and lighter than the MK16 for those that prefer those traits. Then of course you have the front portion only rail versions which aren't going to be offered.

I'm still wondering if I can mod a MK16 into a FSP rail like I can with the MK4, MK8, MK13, and MK14!
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 9:55:39 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote
I think later down the line it would probably be released as standalone, maybe even available for blem sales. This reminds me of when DD stopped selling rails separately and only made them available on complete uppers.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 10:17:43 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote
We should do it then. Kindly ask Geissele:

1) Please use correct mk12 gas block on "clone" uppers.

2) Please make Mk16 and special version of ACH available. At least at some point in future.

Does that sound right to you guys?
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 10:36:49 PM EDT
[#24]
I asked them in an email if they had or would consider putting a coupon code in with the stripped uppers that would allow us to purchase a non-marked ACH separately.
No dice.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 11:18:04 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote
Why don't we all demand the correct 4 prong flash hider too
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 11:23:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By DocBach:
View All Quotes

I was wondering if Geissele could get Surefire to do that.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 11:36:00 PM EDT
[#27]
View All Quotes

That one I don't see flying due to Surefire. But Bill def has control over what Bill sells of Bill's parts, or whatever weird combination of words blows your skirt up.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 12:10:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#28]

View Quote
@MILSPEC556

Well, that's good news. I'm glad that little birdy chirped! Now, how does that little birdy suggest we all tell him this??

It seems they listened to us when we asked that they return to the set screw anti-rotation tabs so there may be a shot.

#sellthemk16separately might not be catchy enough

I would disagree with @871JZ that the MK16 is necessarily better than the MK4, MK8, MK13, or MK14 though. It will probably be more popular and may very well replace one or both eventually but they all have their pros. The MK8 is the sturdiest/strongest, some prefer a wider + shaped rail, and you can actually use the MLok slots near the barrel nut. The MK14 is most likely skinnier and lighter than the MK16 for those that prefer those traits. Then of course you have the front portion only rail versions which aren't going to be offered.

I'm still wondering if I can mod a MK16 into a FSP rail like I can with the MK4, MK8, MK13, and MK14!
View Quote
@pezboytate

I agree. I think Geissele Automatics is one of the few wonderful companies that actually cares about and does it's best to listen to what it's customers/fans want.

And I like the MK16 over all the others, but obviously I've formed that opinion solely by looking at pics online, so it very well could change once I have one in hand to compare to my others. Just agree with me here on this one, even if you're just pretending to. I'm trying to get us this rail available separately and you're crampin' ma style!

#mk16smatter

#ddcmk16smatter

#mk16pwettypwease

#mk16mafia

Any of those catchy enough

Originally Posted By patriot_man:

I think later down the line it would probably be released as standalone, maybe even available for blem sales. This reminds me of when DD stopped selling rails separately and only made them available on complete uppers.
View Quote
I'm sure it would eventually be available separately, but that's what I'm saying. We want it NOW!
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 12:12:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#29]
Originally Posted By StevieJ309:
View All Quotes

1. That's not how it works. We're not in the middle of a negotiation with an upper hand, so attempting to make "demands" wouldn't get us anywhere. It may get us all laughed at by Bill Geissele, though. Lol

2. Bill G doesn't have any say over that. 4P's were never commercially available.

3. That's not gonna happen.

4. That's not gonna happen.

5. We'll just have to keep sourcing them elsewhere, like in the EE for $250-300 each. If that doesn't show Bill the dedication of us cloners, than I don't know what will!
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 1:58:01 AM EDT
[#30]

View Quote
Demand is a strong word. Maybe kindly ask for?

If they would just use the clone correct gas block that would already be a huge deal in my book.

You are already getting the rail and secret sauce barrel with the stripped version anyway and thats close enough.

You could just find a 4 prong on EE
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 2:01:56 AM EDT
[#31]
I want to make a near clone modern type similar to the URG 1.  Before this came out I was looking at a 14.5 Colt SOCOM barrel with a G Mk8 or Mk14.  But now I will wait for the Mk16 because I really like the smooth more round shape and the ability to mount acc at any of 8 positions with M-Lok and top rail.  I will also wait on the barrel to see what this DD middy profile is.  I do not have to have the DD but will want something close.  The G gas block will be fine for mine too.  I am definately going with the Warcomp cause it makes sense. JMHO. Can't wait to see all your builds/ bought uppers.

PS; mine will share a lower with my block I.  I am a cheap bastard.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 3:28:21 AM EDT
[#32]

Demand is a strong word. Maybe kindly ask for?

If they would just use the clone correct gas block that would already be a huge deal in my book.

You are already getting the rail and secret sauce barrel with the stripped version anyway and thats close enough.

You could just find a 4 prong on EE
View Quote
I was being sarcastic. I’m actually bummed it’s not coming with the warcomp anymore.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 5:44:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: USMCSGT0331] [#33]
1. That's not how it works. We're not in the middle of a negotiation with an upper hand, so attempting to make "demands" wouldn't get us anywhere. It may get us all laughed at by Bill Geissele, though. Lol

2. Bill G doesn't have any say over that. 4P's were never commercially available.

5. We'll just have to keep sourcing them elsewhere, like in the EE for $250-300 each. If that doesn't show Bill the dedication of us cloners, than I don't know what will!
View All Quotes

IIRC, Surefire won't sell the 4P's because they are inferior in performance to the 3P's.  If that's the case, then why would they ever release a sub-par product to the general public? Kinda like "Hey Apple, we know you just released the iPhone X, but us ARFCOM'ers want the iPhone 4!"

To reiterate what's already been posted, Bill Geissele has absolutely nothing to do with Surefire products or how they run their company. Asking Geissele to influence Surefire is the wrong way to go..... you need to get an official dealer involved!

For example, Robert Snyder (RWS Precision) was able to get Surefire to make MB762SSAL/RE brakes for our M40A5/6 clones after they were "discontinued" (also keep in mind that "discontinued" is waaay different than never "officially released").  He's also asked them about doing a run of the XM3 specific brakes, but probably doesn't have the market for them, so those might not get reproduced. I'll shoot him a call and see if he'll take up our cause, just please don't melt his phone asking for his help with this.

If a dealer can get enough customers on-board AND Surefire is okay with putting out an inferior performing brake (again, this might be the main hurdle to overcome), then there stands a chance of having the 4P's released to us clone builders.  This is literally the only option beyond buying 4P's on the EE or ebay at inflated prices.

BTW, if any of you guys happen to have a 4P available at the $250 to $300 inflated price, please contact me!
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 6:28:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#34]
Have heard that there will be a 10.3" URGI my end.  No other specifics yet.

CD
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 12:22:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By USMCSGT0331:
IIRC, Surefire won't sell the 4P's because they are inferior in performance to the 3P's.  If that's the case, then why would they ever release a sub-par product to the general public? Kinda like "Hey Apple, we know you just released the iPhone X, but us ARFCOM'ers want the iPhone 4!"

To reiterate what's already been posted, Bill Geissele has absolutely nothing to do with Surefire products or how they run their company. Asking Geissele to influence Surefire is the wrong way to go..... you need to get an official dealer involved!

For example, Robert Snyder (RWS Precision) was able to get Surefire to make MB762SSAL/RE brakes for our M40A5/6 clones after they were "discontinued" (also keep in mind that "discontinued" is waaay different than never "officially released").  He's also asked them about doing a run of the XM3 specific brakes, but probably doesn't have the market for them, so those might not get reproduced. I'll shoot him a call and see if he'll take up our cause, just please don't melt his phone asking for his help with this.

If a dealer can get enough customers on-board AND Surefire is okay with putting out an inferior performing brake (again, this might be the main hurdle to overcome), then there stands a chance of having the 4P's released to us clone builders.  This is literally the only option beyond buying 4P's on the EE or ebay at inflated prices.

BTW, if any of you guys happen to have a 4P available at the $250 to $300 inflated price, please contact me!
View Quote
I also wonder if there's some contractual reason why Surefire never released the 4P to the public. Maybe not, but it's something that crossed my mind.

Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

CD
View Quote
Interested. Keep us updated!
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 2:28:41 PM EDT
[#36]

CD
View Quote
Sweet.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 4:37:55 PM EDT
[#37]

CD
View Quote
Thank you CD. I already have a donor rifle in a holding pattern.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 4:51:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mr_h] [#38]
USASOC article

in that write up, they talk about the SF copm in "negative timing mode". whats that all about?

"it also looks like USASOC wants to go with the SureFire WarComp, in negative timing mode. "
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 4:56:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: imdBman] [#39]
Link does not work! Is this it?
SSD URG Article
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 5:02:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vapor-Trail] [#40]
Originally Posted By mr_h:
USASOC article

in that write up, they talk about the SF copm in "negative timing mode". whats that all about?

"it also looks like USASOC wants to go with the SureFire WarComp, in negative timing mode. "
View Quote
Thats a goof. They meant to say "neutral" i.e. warcomp ports all facing up, rather than up and to the right in the standard install.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 5:04:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By imdBman:
Link does not work! Is this it?
SSD URG Article
View Quote
Yes. poster left a whitespace before "http"
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 5:34:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mr_h] [#42]
Thats a goof. They meant to say "neutral" i.e. warcomp ports all facing up, rather than up and to the right in the standard install.
View All Quotes
USASOC article

ah, that makes sense and thanks for the link fix that was the one.

i am guessing "up and right" makes more sense for full auto and does little for single shot.

do those SF comps come with shims?
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 7:39:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#43]

i am guessing "up and right" makes more sense for full auto and does little for single shot.

View All Quotes
USASOC article

The Warcomp is made with assymetriccal ports. If you time it with logo at top dead center and index lug at bottom dead center, it's effective for right handed shooters. Time it neutral and the device will be canted, but the ports will be effective for any user, right or left handed. You could also time it specifically for a leftie if you wanted.

And, yes, they come with shims and Rocksett.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 6:17:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Does anyone know what optics and accessories are going to be used on the urgi?
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 6:26:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Silverww:
Does anyone know what optics and accessories are going to be used on the urgi?
View Quote
Don't now about the optic, maybe a Razor? As for accessories, probably user configurable just like the Block II.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 9:10:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aaron580] [#46]
I'd still bet money we see a warcomp or 2 on the URG1 in the wild soon enough.... hell even @stukas had one at one point if I remember right, and there are several on block 2s, the 4P only has so much time left
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 9:15:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By aaron580:
I'd still bet money we see a warcomp or 2 on the URG1 in the wild soon enough.... hell even @stukas had one at one point if I remember right, and there are several on block 2s, the 4P only has so much time left
View Quote
I would agree with that. If anyone has a couple 4P's they wanna sell cheap, hit me.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 9:21:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aaron580] [#48]

I would agree with that. If anyone has a couple 4P's they wanna sell cheap, hit me.
View Quote
Give it to MARSOC already so the NT4 can be #clonecorrect I may just do that with mine to be crazy
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 9:36:43 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote
Some will probably pop up, but unless they change the spec they opted out of the Warcomp as standard issue.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 9:44:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#50]
Give it to MARSOC already so the NT4 can be #clonecorrect I may just do that with mine to be crazy
View All Quotes

Feeling wild tonight, huh? You rebel, you!
Page / 263
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top