Optics?

Thanks!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By pezboytate:
Originally Posted By GS5414:
Okay, I'm here.

Good lord, lots to discuss. Give me a second to catch up.

Also understand I will not answer every question. Some things just can't be said yet.

Stand by.

S/F
Please verify my parts list.

Is there a 10.3" URG-I?

Back up iron sights?

Optics?

Thanks!
That's what I most want to hear about: is there a 10.3" version? And assuming there is, what's it going to be wearing? :D
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 8:20:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By pezboytate:

Please verify my parts list.

Is there a 10.3" URG-I?

Back up iron sights?

Optics?

Thanks!
View Quote
List good. Add DD mid length gas tube.

BUIS pretty wide open.

Optics, solicitations are underway.

S/F
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 8:53:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dunderway] [#3]
Originally Posted By joglee:

I'm sure the Mk16 will eventually be sold individually.
View Quote
I hope so.  I don't see any reason to buy a MK14 after I've seen the MK16.

Why not just stop production on the MK14 and make all of the new hand guards MK16 spec (even if it's marked differently)?

I really like G rails, and will not just take my toys and go home, but I'll buy a discounted MK4 before I play this game.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 9:07:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Dunderway:

Why not just stop production on the MK14 and make all of the new hand guards MK16 spec (even if it's marked differently)?

I really like G rails, and will not just take my toys and go home, but I'll buy a discounted MK4 before I play this game.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dunderway:

I'm sure the Mk16 will eventually be sold individually.

For those who want a 100% correct clone and those that want to use the MK16 on a non clone, the uppers they have available aren't a good thing. They should sell the rail and charging handle separately IMO. You can source everything else.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 9:18:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Lets see...

-Daniel Defense 14.5 mid length barrel: $275
-Geissele MK 16 + gas block: $300
-Surefire War Comp: $100
-Gas tube: $20
-Complete M4 upper: $100
-Geissele Airborne CH: $90
-M16 BCG: $120

$1,005. So what people need to figure out is if they're willing to pay an extra $374 for a convenience of having it all together and not having to pay a gunsmith to pin and weld the Warcomp.

Link Posted: 1/7/2018 9:24:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By papabear1868:
Lets see...

$1,005. So what people need to figure out is if they're willing to pay an extra $374 for a convenience of having it all together and not having to pay a gunsmith to pin and weld the Warcomp.

View Quote
The DD barrel isn't available other than through buying this new URG-I upper, so how do you know how much it costs?
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 9:40:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: papabear1868] [#7]
Originally Posted By sdrake100:
The DD barrel isn't available other than through buying this new URG-I upper, so how do you know how much it costs?
View All Quotes
Lets see...

I'm comparing it to the exact listing on Brownells for a 14.5" DD mid length barrel price. The "sauce" isn't something we can quantify in a price premium because we don't even know what the "sauce" refers to.

DD CHF Barrels @ Brownells
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 9:49:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dunderway] [#8]
Lets see...

View Quote
I kind of agree, but the failure in your list/calculation is that you have two unavailable parts that do not even have an msrp.  IOW: you are making shit up.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 9:51:03 PM EDT
[#9]

I'm comparing it to the exact listing on Brownells for a 14.5" DD mid length barrel price. The "sauce" isn't something we can quantify in a price premium because we don't even know what the "sauce" refers to.

View Quote
And yet you're the one putting a price on it with your breakdown, even though they're not the same thing. I guess it's my turn to .
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 10:05:54 PM EDT
[#10]
And yet you're the one putting a price on it with your breakdown, even though they're not the same thing. I guess it's my turn to .
View All Quotes

The Brownells listing is the closest we have to a realistic comparison for Daniel Defense 14.5 CHF mid length barrel and a price that's cited on their website. If you're getting emotional or butt hurt over my listing of prices, feel free to price it out yourself.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 10:24:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Not worth it until it comes with the new bolt.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 10:28:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _LandCruiser_] [#12]

The Brownells listing is the closest we have to a realistic comparison for Daniel Defense 14.5 CHF mid length barrel and a price that's cited on their website. If you're getting emotional or butt hurt over my listing of prices, feel free to price it out yourself.
View Quote
Emotional? No, just rational. Close enough =/= the same thing. Your reaction to the price is based on an item that is different than the DD barrel you posted. In your own words, you don't know how to quantify the "special sauce". If you can't see how that's flawed, then keep your logical inconsistencies to yourself.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 11:16:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Will the Block II program continue with more RIS II deliveries or will this be what Socom will be switching to going forward?
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 12:07:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Emotional? No, just rational. Close enough =/= the same thing. Your reaction to the price is based on an item that is different than the DD barrel you posted. In your own words, you don't know how to quantify the "special sauce". If you can't see how that's flawed, then keep your logical inconsistencies to yourself.
View All Quotes

And YOU can't elaborate or quantify the "special sauce" either. Nobody can. It could be a marketing gimmick for the commercial market and many will treat it as such until further information is released explaining why there is something special about how the URGI barrel is made. The CLOSEST thing available is the barrel I linked to which is what it will be compared to until DD elaborates on what they did to make the "special sauce" on the URGI barrel. So yes, I and many other consumers will be comparing them apples to apples until further information is released.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 12:07:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Reference the upper receiver.  As long as it is mil spec.  I just look at several complete FN built M4A1s and they had "C" marked uppers.  For BUIS add KACs as they are in the system.

CD
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 12:19:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By henryfrank:
Will the Block II program continue with more RIS II deliveries or will this be what Socom will be switching to going forward?
View Quote
Its 12 years old, I hope it goes away.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 12:38:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By henryfrank:
View Quote
SOCOM has nothing to do with this.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 1:10:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FreefallRet] [#18]
Yea the URG is a bit overpriced, but we are only talking under $400 or so over priced.

If you want the latest greatest you gotta pay, IMO I would just wait since this will be a popular product and be widely available eventually.

I just want a date when they are gonna ship from Brownells.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 1:13:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By FREEFALLE7:
Yea the URG is a bit overpriced, but we are only talking under $400 or so over priced.

If you want the latest greatest you gotta pay, IMO I would just wait since this will be a popular product and be widely available eventually.

View Quote
Yup. I will probably be waiting to buy or build one second hand off the EE. My block 2 and block 1s will hold me over til then. But if I had the money to blow id be all over the stripped URG-I and a SF4P.

No idea on the ship date thing....Been wondering that myself
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 1:20:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:
Yup. I will probably be waiting to buy or build one second hand off the EE. My block 2 and block 1s will hold me over til then. But if I had the money to blow id be all over the stripped URG-I and a SF4P.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:
Originally Posted By FREEFALLE7:

I about hit the add to cart button last night, then I realized I still need a G33, light and PEQ for my block II.

Learned my lesson about buying the latest greatest in the past, best to wait a bit.

Link Posted: 1/8/2018 2:33:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Roadblock] [#21]
Thanks You For Your Order!
View Quote
Fuck it, I'm in on the stripped URG-I!

Sold my M4A1 RIS II upper ages ago, only have the MK18 RIS II as a pistol with a Shockwave brace right now so this will fill a void.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 2:53:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Roadblock] [#22]
N/m! Just going to leave that alone!
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 4:01:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Definitely will be waiting for those mk16s being sold individually.

Optics choice/s will be interesting
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 6:14:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: _LandCruiser_] [#24]

And YOU can't elaborate or quantify the "special sauce" either. Nobody can. It could be a marketing gimmick for the commercial market and many will treat it as such until further information is released explaining why there is something special about how the URGI barrel is made. The CLOSEST thing available is the barrel I linked to which is what it will be compared to until DD elaborates on what they did to make the "special sauce" on the URGI barrel. So yes, I and many other consumers will be comparing them apples to apples until further information is released.
View Quote
The difference is that I'm agnostic about the price until further information is available. You are not. We know there is some difference between the commercially available midlength and this new barrel, so how is that an apples-to-apples comparison? Because they're both barrels? At worst you should be leaving that space with a question mark, but you've already decided without all the information, that this upper is too expensive, and that the two barrels are similar in price because they're both made by DD and midlength. That makes no sense.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 10:24:48 AM EDT
[#25]
I’m seeing people report these will come from Brownells with a warcomp and some state it’s the SF3P. Which does it ship with for civilian purchase?
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 11:16:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By stickyheat:
I’m seeing people report these will come from Brownells with a warcomp and some state it’s the SF3P. Which does it ship with for civilian purchase?
View Quote
The pinned and welded complete version has SF3P.

If you want clone correct. Or want to add your own device. The stripped version will get you closer.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 11:20:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stickyheat] [#27]
Yea that’s a no go for me. If it came with some flavor of warcomp pinned and welded off the bat I could see these prices making sense when you factor in labor and warranty. Pinning it aftermarket will just likely complicate any future warranty fixes if an issue pops up.

At this point the Mk14 MLOK makes the most sense or even a Mk8 unless you are building a clone.

Originally Posted By Vapor-Trail:

If you want clone correct. Or want to add your own device. The stripped version will get you closer.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Vapor-Trail:

Link Posted: 1/8/2018 12:24:39 PM EDT
[#28]
The complete URGI available for civilian purchase comes with the SF WARCOMP. From Brownell's web site:

SPECS

Caliber: 5.56mm NATO
Gas System: Mid-Length
Barrel: Daniel Defense 14.5" Cold Hammer Forged 1:7
Muzzle Device: SureFire SOCOM WARCOMP 5.56 (Pinned & Welded)
Rail: Geissele Super Modular Rail MK16 (DDC)
Charging Handle: Geissele Airborne Charging Handle (DDC)
Bolt Carrier Group: MIL-SPEC M4 Carbine Bolt Carrier Group
View Quote
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receivers/upper-receivers/ar-15-socom-upper-receiver-group-improved-5-56-m-lok-prod114412.aspx?psize=96&avs%7cManufacturer_1=GEISSELE%2bAUTOMATICS%2bLLC
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 12:30:22 PM EDT
[#29]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By korgs130:
The complete URGI available for civilian purchase comes with the SF WARCOMP. From Brownell's web site:

SPECS

Caliber: 5.56mm NATO
Gas System: Mid-Length
Barrel: Daniel Defense 14.5" Cold Hammer Forged 1:7
Muzzle Device: SureFire SOCOM WARCOMP 5.56 (Pinned & Welded)
Rail: Geissele Super Modular Rail MK16 (DDC)
Charging Handle: Geissele Airborne Charging Handle (DDC)
Bolt Carrier Group: MIL-SPEC M4 Carbine Bolt Carrier Group
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receivers/upper-receivers/ar-15-socom-upper-receiver-group-improved-5-56-m-lok-prod114412.aspx?psize=96&avs%7cManufacturer_1=GEISSELE%2bAUTOMATICS%2bLLC
I called Geissele this morning to confirm this as well. They will be shipping with the SF3P. No warcomps unfortunately.

It is unfortunate as this would have been a good pairing with a warcomp either open or closed tine. I guess the trouble with the open tine is how they would time it. Either for right handed shooters or neutral. I’d prefer neutral.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 12:42:11 PM EDT
[#30]
I called Geissele this morning to confirm this as well. They will be shipping with the SF3P. No warcomps unfortunately.

It is unfortunate as this would have been a good pairing with a warcomp either open or closed tine. I guess the trouble with the open tine is how they would time it. Either for right handed shooters or neutral. I’d prefer neutral.
View Quote
Thanks for that info. Definitely disappointing.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 12:46:48 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote
Thats a mistake. Someone else on here or another thread who is an insider said its a typo and that photo was what they threw together real quick with only warcomps on hand
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 12:59:49 PM EDT
[#32]
I like this setup, very similar to my current build but I prefer my SMR MK8.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 1:25:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By GHOS7:
I like this setup, very similar to my current build but I prefer my SMR MK8.
View Quote
Same here.  I like the looks of the MK8 better.  I also like how it feels even though I seem to be in the minority around here.  Not really interested in "cloning" this setup.  At least not enough to change rails.

Might be interested in a 10.3 version though.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 6:55:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spydercomonkey] [#34]
Something weird that occurred to me about the URG.

They are purchasing new, complete uppers with tan handgaurds.

Why is the upper receiver black - vs being coated in Geisseles DDC - to make for a complete tan upper?
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 7:01:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

Why is the upper receiver black - vs being coated in Geisseles DDC - to make for a complete tan upper?
View Quote
I get the impression these will just be issued as URG's, so the lowers in inventory would remain black anyways.

Dry film lube for the win?
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 7:13:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Anybody know of any promo code better than $60 off $600 at Brownell’s?
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 7:13:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

View Quote
As GS5414 stated they are being assembled, not purchased as a complete upper.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 8:43:57 PM EDT
[#38]

As GS5414 stated they are being assembled, not purchased as a complete upper.
View Quote
Ah, thank you, that does make more sense then.

Do we know if they will use a new upper receiver, or use an existing M4A1 upper and just swap out barrels etc?
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 9:34:40 AM EDT
[#39]
I must be ahead of the curve. I’ve been running Daniel defense CHF 14.5 mid length, Geissele rail and the warcomp for over a year.  The only difference is I have an MK 4 rail.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 8:15:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By assaultdog0351:
Not worth it until it comes with the new bolt.
View Quote
And why is that?
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 12:59:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By BePhreed:
At this rate, all of you guys will have them before the military does.
View Quote
That’s true...and the reason I ordered one of the Browell’s uppers:  I doubt I’ll get one issued in the (planned) time I have left.

If I do, well then I’ll have a pre-clone of it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 11:11:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By McGoo:
The only way to get the rail is with the complete or stripped upper, so I’d be curious how you’d build it for cheaper.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By McGoo:
Originally Posted By AmericanCheese:
Just a FYI OP, the actual spec is DD MK12 gas block and SF4P muzzle device.

The Brownells is not 100% clone correct.

It also appears this is very similar to the IMR that is catching interest with other branches.
Yep...no thanks!

I will keep my M4A1 Block 1.5 all day.  I’m thinking a USASOC can be built with used parts at a considerable discount as well.  $1,400 for an upper
The only way to get the rail is with the complete or stripped upper, so I’d be curious how you’d build it for cheaper.
And therein lies the “one man’s clone is not another man’s clone” conundrum.

“It a clone...except for the barrel and the rail and the muzzle device and the optic and the grip and the trigger and the gas block and the buttstock...but it’s not a ‘true’ clone anyway:  no 3rd pin, duh!”
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 11:26:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Just to be clear:

1.  SF4P is issue (clone worthy).

2.  SF3Ps will ship with Brownell’s complete URGs.

3.  Warcomp not really in the picture clonewise, just in the pictures marketingwise.

Amirite?
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 12:13:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
Just to be clear:

1.  SF4P is issue (clone worthy).

2.  SF3Ps will ship with Brownell’s complete URGs.

3.  Warcomp not really in the picture clonewise, just in the pictures marketingwise.

Amirite?
View Quote
Pretty much. If you want a perfect clone, getting the stripped version then adding the 4P on your own will get you the closest.

The only difference would be the gas block.
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 12:28:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Never really looked into it much, but just from trying to gather more information about the URGI, I've learned that clone guys can be really intense.
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 4:05:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Brownell's has 10% off and free shipping today, on orders over $50, for those on the fence.  Code LA9.
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 7:57:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By ArmyPilot12:
Brownell's has 10% off and free shipping today, on orders over $50, for those on the fence.  Code LA9.
View Quote
Cancelled my original order to use this promo, thanks
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 11:02:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By ArmyPilot12:
View Quote
Ordered. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 4:23:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Damn it... I missed the 10% AGAIN!
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 4:28:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Roadblock:
Damn it... I missed the 10% AGAIN!
View Quote
That's what happens when you get wrapped up in video games and eating pop tarts for dinner.

For the guys that called Brownells, anybody get a ship ETA yet?
Page / 262
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top