Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/15/2017 3:34:06 PM EDT
We have a thread for practically every clone rifle except one dealing specifically with the M4/M4A1 MWS(Modular Weapon System).

So I am starting one.

The New Army M4A1.

M4/M4A1 as issued.

The weapons must consist of:

Barrel:
16" or 14.5" .gov or SOCOM profile Carbine gas.

Sights:
Matech rear BUIS and F Marked FSB.

Furniture:
KAC RAS
A2 grip
Waffle Stock
KAC VFG
Grip-Pod

Safety:
Standard
Colt Ambi safety

Optics:
M68CCO
M150
EOtech 552

Light:
M951
M952V
M600
Insight M3X

Laser:
AN/PEQ-2
AN/PEQ-15
DBAL-A2

If you know of more things that go with the MWS that I missed off the top of my head let me know and I'll update the thread.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 3:35:31 PM EDT
[#1]
My Army M4A1 Clone.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 3:38:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Tagging for clone whoring
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 3:48:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an upper with a Colt SOCOM barrel that I really enjoy.

To the OP.  I believe the Army would be using the DBAL-A2 or A3.  Not the I model.

Link Posted: 1/15/2017 4:13:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 4:22:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Colt M4 Clone
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 5:00:37 PM EDT
[#6]
My issued M4.

Link Posted: 1/15/2017 5:10:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 7:07:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Now this thread I really like.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 7:56:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 8:37:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I thought we had a standard issue thread?
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 8:41:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So your first post in your thread and you broke your own rules. The optics pictured are not on your list. And about half of the guns posted so far break your rules. So how would you like to proceed. Because we have a lot of M4 threads already. 
View Quote

His optic fits.  The Comp M4 is one of the approved M68CCOs (although the Larue mount technically isn't kosher).  I think OP needs to add some Eotechs to his list, because there have been plenty in usage on "MWS" M4s.

ETA:  On second thought, he needs to update quite a few things.  Plenty more WMLs have been issued, and if he's going to allow actual issue rifles, a lot of times accessories will be swapped out for "non-kosher" parts (stocks, pistol grips, VFGs, etc.).
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 9:28:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

So your first post in your thread and you broke your own rules. The optics pictured are not on your list. And about half of the guns posted so far break your rules. So how would you like to proceed. Because we have a lot of M4 threads already. 
View Quote

Huh? The M68CCO has been the M4 for a while now. Also most the guns pictured so far are issued guns.

If I failed to list a light or optic issued let me know and I'll update the OP. I just couldn't remember every light issued as there have been a lot.

Also I started this thread because the last standard issue thread got archived, and the only other one I have seen has been the M4 picture thread, which has guns with every rail, optic, light, and grip known to man.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 9:33:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I feel like this thread has been done before...
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 9:35:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Huh? The M68CCO has been the M4 for a while now. Also most the guns pictured so far are issued guns.

If I failed to list a light or optic issued let me know and I'll update the OP. I just couldn't remember every light issued as there have been a lot.
View Quote

Add the Insight M3X for WMLs.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:10:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Add EOtech 552. The 553 on mine was my personal optic but we did have some issued 552s.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 2:40:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My issued M4.
View Quote

let me find out you are in Cacti out at Schofield right now.  That room and furniture and that lanai in the bottom few pics looks too familiar
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 4:59:23 PM EDT
[#17]
This one is going the way of a MWS kit. At some point I'll swap out the forward grip and stock for a KAC grip and a black SOPMOD stock. I know the SOPMOD stock isn't completely correct but I friggin love them.

I bought a CompM4 on the EE this weekend, it'll be the optic for it

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 6:57:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

let me find out you are in Cacti out at Schofield right now.  That room and furniture and that lanai in the bottom few pics looks too familiar
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My issued M4.

You want a piece of me, bro? Smoke pit at 1900. Be there.

Quoted:
This one is going the way of a MWS kit. At some point I'll swap out the forward grip and stock for a KAC grip and a black SOPMOD stock. I know the SOPMOD stock isn't completely correct but I friggin love them.

I bought a CompM4 on the EE this weekend, it'll be the optic for it

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/213943/IMG-1401-127695.JPG

SOPMOD stocks are legit and big Army issued.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 11:58:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

damn!  PCS'd 6 mos ago. 3/C .  best duty station I've even experienced

do yourself a favor and join the Schofield Rod and Gun Club that operated out at Area X and get into their combat shooting league. fun as fuck one weekend a month
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 12:04:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

do yourself a favor and join the Schofield Rod and Gun Club that operated out at Area X and get into their combat shooting league. fun as fuck one weekend a month
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got out three years ago. If you showed up and came back here I was going to tell you I was on staff duty.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 3:50:49 PM EDT
[#21]
From the looks of those pictures the MAGPUL FDE CTRs would be appropriate for a clone as well.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 6:15:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

No he didn't.  The ACOG TA31 is known as the M150 as he has listed.

CD
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 1:52:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I got out three years ago. If you showed up and came back here I was going to tell you I was on staff duty.
View Quote

Lol. dick

ill contribute to the thread to not derail it.

i generally liked the set up of the TA01s we had vs the Aimpoint M68 (M3s) and TA31s.  my preferred optic.  F the M145s weight on the SAWs and 240s

Link Posted: 1/19/2017 2:51:02 PM EDT
[#24]

https://www.dvidshub.net/image/2995891/marksmanship-training-nov-16-2016

This gun's S/N has Y prefix.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 12:01:05 PM EDT
[#25]
My work in progress.

6920 with pre P&S waffle stock and KAC RAS.  Next parts on the list are side sling swivel and MaTech rear BUIS.  Need to strip the paint off the lower too.

I have a Fireforce Alpha 3 point sling on the way which is what I believe I had on one of my rifles in Afghanistan. Gotta figure out how I had it rigged with 550 because I don't think I had the entire sling kit.  I think I remember though.  

I'm going to use a Comp M2 or M3 (maybe an older style PRO with the old style windage/elevation caps) with QRP mount and spacer.

This rifle will be SBR'd with a 6921 barrel added and at some point be a host for an LMT M203 (leaf sight inbound).  Ultimately I'd like to make a clone of the rifle pictured below.

Hard part will be sourcing a PAQ-4C.  May have to go Airsoft on that part

Speaking of PAQ-4's, they should be added to the list as well.

Link Posted: 1/20/2017 12:06:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 1:06:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Seems like a lot of the terminology and accessories will vary based on the time frame the clone is based on.  Lasers and optics especially.

Take optics for example.  We had Aimpoint Comp M2's and a few TA31F's before we deployed.  Unit purchased a bunch of red donuts in theatre, then got a bunch of Comp M4's and TA31RCO-M4's (I'm assuming since there were no flip caps or laser filters).  They may have been M150s but I don't recall ever hearing them referred to in that manner. I'm not sure when that designation came about or when they started getting fielded.

We also had Pelican M6 LED lights in TRGear mounts with big ass thumb screws until we got back from the deployment aND gor Surefire M951's with IR caps.

Then the age old delimma about furniture....

As issued or seen in the wild?   I'd say just about everything furniture wise has been seen before.  We had a mix of waffles, N1 style, and SOPMODs mostly.  Saw some Vltors overseas and a lot of Magpul once we got back. Grips were changed out sometimes, one of mine had a SPR grip on it for example (goofy looking but super comfortable).  Rail covers were whatever you wanted if any at all.  VFG's were KAC, grip pods, magpul, none, whatever.  A few Harris bipods too.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 1:18:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I didn't say anything about ACOGS. But he said specifically, must have a waffle stock. Lots of no waffles here....

Anyway, carry on. 
View Quote

Isn't the current stock called a waffle stock?
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 2:10:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't say anything about ACOGS. But he said specifically, must have a waffle stock. Lots of no waffles here....

Anyway, carry on. 

Not to put words in his mouth but I think the point is that you list no other options than waffles yet actual issued rifles are seen with different stocks in this thread.  

You'll probably need to break your parts list into issued and seen in wild columns.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 3:04:49 PM EDT
[#30]
As issued by Uncle Sam.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 1:22:18 PM EDT
[#31]
close enough?

Link Posted: 1/21/2017 2:29:51 PM EDT
[#32]
I was wondering how to weigh in on the CAR stock thing.  Because, from what I can gather, Colt probably been shipping M4's with the waffle since it came out.  But somehow CAR stocks make it onto a lot of M4's.  Among others.  But I'm guessing they came with a waffle.  No?  Or maybe Colt was using up old stock of CAR stocks for a while?  

To the OP.....  Since you say as issued M4, how far back does that mean?  Were they not issued with double heats at some point?  I prefer them for feel, but obviously the rails are more useful and what is issued now.  But I wonder when the rails started coming on M4's.

excuse the light and mounting set up.....
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 4:18:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I was wondering how to weigh in on the CAR stock thing.  Because, from what I can gather, Colt probably been shipping M4's with the waffle since it came out.  But somehow CAR stocks make it onto a lot of M4's.  Among others.  But I'm guessing they came with a waffle.  No?  Or maybe Colt was using up old stock of CAR stocks for a while?  

To the OP.....  Since you say as issued M4, how far back does that mean?  Were they not issued with double heats at some point?  I prefer them for feel, but obviously the rails are more useful and what is issued now.  But I wonder when the rails started coming on M4's.

excuse the light and mounting set up.....
http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o475/NomadABPos/2017%20Guns/IMG_8861_zps7pcrybmv.jpg
View Quote

Waffle stocks came out in 2002. M4/M4A1s before 2002 came with CAR stocks. M4/M4A1s after 2002 came with waffle stocks.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 6:08:52 PM EDT
[#34]
I actually thought it was 2003.  But you do see a LOT of CAR stocks on M4's in the military.  I guess those lowers were just older than 2002/3?  I swear I see more CAR stocks than waffle in pics.  But whatever.  

So what about the rails joglee?  We including pics of double heat shielded M4's?  Plus the BUIS is more of a newer thing too.  I'm not sure when they stopped shipping them with carry handles and put the matech's on them......

Link Posted: 1/21/2017 6:27:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I actually thought it was 2003.  But you do see a LOT of CAR stocks on M4's in the military.  I guess those lowers were just older than 2002/3?  I swear I see more CAR stocks than waffle in pics.  But whatever.  

So what about the rails joglee?  We including pics of double heat shielded M4's?  Plus the BUIS is more of a newer thing too.  I'm not sure when they stopped shipping them with carry handles and put the matech's on them......
View Quote

A lot of that just has to do with what's in the arms room and personal preference. Don't like the waffle but there's a CAR stock in the arms room?  Swap it.  Buddy likes the CAR stock you have and you like the waffle stock on his M4?  Swap.  

We had CARs, waffles, and SOPMODs on the M4s in our arms room so thats what we got "issued."

The stocks don't stay with the lower they came on necessarily.  

As far as rails go, I believe once a RAS (KAC or P&S) is added to an M4 it becomes an M4 MWS.  The way the thread is titled seems to leave out non MWS M4's.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 9:00:41 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

Damn, are those foot lockers in the background?  Haven't seen one of them in a long time.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 10:03:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Damn, are those foot lockers in the background?  Haven't seen one of them in a long time.
View Quote

Yep, good 'ol ft Pickett. Had the wooden trays in them and everything, and surprisingly in great shape too.
We had some that were dated back to the 1940s.

I'll acquire one some day before I retire!
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 10:21:04 PM EDT
[#38]
These count? Or 2/3 of them?

Link Posted: 1/21/2017 11:17:28 PM EDT
[#39]
I think I can get in on this one.  

- Colt 14.5" Gov't profile barrel with standard A2 flash hider (SBR lower)
- Matech rear BUIS, F marked FSB
- KAC M4 RAS
- KAC rail covers
- KAC VFG
- Colt A2 pistol grip
- Colt waffle stock
- Standard style ambi safety (wish I could find a Colt )
- M68CCO optic (Aimpoint Comp M2 w/QRP mount)
- Surefire M951 light

Link Posted: 1/27/2017 10:56:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I think I can get in on this one.  

- Colt 14.5" Gov't profile barrel with standard A2 flash hider (SBR lower)
- Matech rear BUIS, F marked FSB
- KAC M4 RAS
- KAC rail covers
- KAC VFG
- Colt A2 pistol grip
- Colt waffle stock
- Standard style ambi safety (wish I could find a Colt )
- M68CCO optic (Aimpoint Comp M2 w/QRP mount)
- Surefire M951 light

http://i.imgur.com/KN2mp1hh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/oKwgwmzh.jpg
View Quote

Super nice.  How much does this weigh without a mag in?
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:04:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Now this thread I really like.
View Quote

Ditto... This is exactly what my next clone was going to be or possibly a Phased Replacement/ Block 1.5.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 8:47:23 AM EDT
[#42]
My old issued rifle

My clone: Colt 14.5 with standard A2 pinned. Has a 1/4 inch spacer made from a different colt barrel to get it to 16". KAC RAS, Acog TA01. I have the side sling swivel also and the sling I carried but haven't gotten around to putting it on. Lost my 3rd hole though :( Colt did toss a FA safety in the lower I bought though...

I also had a BE Meyers 249F and SOPMOD stock at some point but I dont feel like looking for the pictures on facebook.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 12:12:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
My old issued rifle

http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh539/OlacAttack/file495_zpszjj4uvte.jpg

My clone: Colt 14.5 with standard A2 pinned. Has a 1/4 inch spacer made from a different colt barrel to get it to 16". KAC RAS, Acog TA01. I have the side sling swivel also and the sling I carried but haven't gotten around to putting it on. Lost my 3rd hole though :( Colt did toss a FA safety in the lower I bought though...

http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh539/OlacAttack/image1_zpszi5xlp6g.jpg

I also had a BE Meyers 249F and SOPMOD stock at some point but I dont feel like looking for the pictures on facebook.
View Quote

Was that a TA01 on your issued rifle?
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:03:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Yes. The armorer had a few. I hated the TA31 chevron.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 11:06:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Yes. The armorer had a few. I hated the TA31 chevron.
View Quote

I always liked the TA01 more, but did not realize the regular one, along with the NSN was issued.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 3:52:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Place-holder for page 1?... (still waiting on a pinned barrel)
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 1:13:23 PM EDT
[#47]
I think OP should add a section of allowable and commonly seen mods/changes so this thread doesn't get out of hand.

Off the top of my head would be SOPMOD stock, MOE or CTR stock (I know I've seen just about every stock known to man but those are by far the most common). I also see tons of vert grips and the occasional pistol grip change. The problem with big .mil issued weapon systems is some units are more lenient than others. There is always someone who can say my rifle had X so it's good to go.

Also should specify if you are allowing 16 inch barrels as long as it's the correct profile.

Or maybe just add to the OP if your rifle doesn't have X at a minimum, don't post it here. If you go this route I would suggest optic, rail, BUIS as non negotiable. Or be more strict, I would just hate to see this thread go to shit too. Just a suggestion.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:11:35 AM EDT
[#48]
My clone build pictured is pinned
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 12:46:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Just a question here.  I know that the EXPS3 sights are used on Sopmods, but are they issued or authorized for use on regular big army guns?
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 2:35:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Just a question here.  I know that the EXPS3 sights are used on Sopmods, but are they issued or authorized for use on regular big army guns?
View Quote

If they are issued to regular big army, I'll bet they're COTS items. If they are authorized, they are probably used in such small numbers to not really be on anyone's radar. The Aimpoint is M68 CCO is the standard regular big army red dot, so that's what you'll see on most big army weapons as far as red dots go.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top