Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2013 11:52:18 AM EDT
Finally able to take out my SBR upper and test out its 25 yard grouping. First three shots at center dot on circle target where even in elevation, but 6 inches to the right of center with the windage dead center on my MBUS rear sight.
So, I moved the rear aperture over about one mark to the left and it is pretty much on target.

So now I have a few questions.

Is there anything wrong with my sights?
Would the barrel or upper receiver be bent slightly?
What exactly could I have misaligned on a standard barrel nut using a Troy Alpha rail? (from the EE. Did not put money in Troy's pocket.)
Is there any cases as to why my rear sight would have to be adjusted that extremely?

Not sure what to do or what is the correct answer. I've looked closely at my barrel and it doesn't seem bent.

What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:17:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think I've ever had the mechanical zero on iron sights ever be my true zero.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:45:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't think I've ever had the mechanical zero on iron sights ever be my true zero.
View Quote

I was just curious. My last upper had nearly perfect mechanical zero. Just seemed more extreme in adjustment I guess.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:27:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Its very common for either the handguard (and the attached iron sights) to be very slightly twisted, or for a barrel mounted front sight to be slightly turned from top-dead-center.

Its nothing to be worried about, and adjusting the rear windage is the correct fix.

You should see my troy rear, its almost pegged left, but on my gun its easy to see the handguard is turned slightly.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:37:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Its very common for either the handguard (and the attached iron sights) to be very slightly twisted, or for a barrel mounted front sight to be slightly turned from top-dead-center.

Its nothing to be worried about, and adjusting the rear windage is the correct fix.

You should see my troy rear, its almost pegged left, but on my gun its easy to see the handguard is turned slightly.
View Quote

Good to know. And I readjusted my Troy rail to get it as straight and as even as possible. I was able to bring my windage back a little to the right. Must have just been off a very miniscule amount.

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:06:51 PM EDT
[#5]
When I did my first build, I used front & rear BUIS. My front sight was atop a free-floated rail. When I first zeroed my weapon, it took around 12-13 clicks left from center to zero in at 25m. When installing my rail originally, it was just maybe a 16th of an inch, if that, canted to the left. After taking my rail back off, I kept adjusting my barrel nut's rail adapter until my rail's upper picatinny rail was perfectly aligned with my upper's picatinny rail. After doing so, my rear sight ended up needing to be moved back to center to be zeroed in at 25m. What got me to re-adjust my free-float rail was after reading page 0015-16, dealing with bore sighting, in TM 9-1005-319-23&P.

TM 9-1005-319-23&P
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top