Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 11/25/2003 8:47:39 PM EDT
Guys this alittle off but thought I would share. I went to a Feed and seed store to get the hungry bulldogs some food.I payed with a check .I threw my Drivers license up on the counter and the owner ( older guy ) said there ain't no need for that.( Small town, Forsyth Georgia ) . He just glanced at it and made the commit that I was born the year he went into the ARMY (1967). I paid for my stuff and we had small talk and I finally asked if he went to Nam.He said yes he had.Spent 13 months there.I asked what MOS. He said 11 Bravo . I then asked what unit. He said with alittle bit of pride 4th INFATRY. I asked if he had been injured and he said no.What weapons he personally used. He said he was a M60 gunner alot , and carreid the M16A1.I asked how he like the weapons. He said all his worked fine. No problems . We talked alittle about our boys over in IRAQ . Funny thing was I was on my way to the range and had my rifle sin my truck. As I was leaveing it dawned on me to holler at him to walk to my truck. I said to him I got something that you praboly haven't seen in a while.I pulled out my AR15A1 and as I was handing him it he really snatched out of my hand. He was thrilled to hold that rifle .He asked if he could handle it more.I said Hell yeah. He snatched the chargeing handle back and looked it over and telling me all about it. He was really kinda excited about seeing this old rifle he ain't carried since 1968 . It really made my day.Thought I would share. WarDawg
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 9:06:03 PM EDT
[wave] Good job, us old vets need a little reminis now and then. Oppie
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 9:08:45 PM EDT
Hey, thats a really cool story. I had a similar experience with a friend of my parents. But it was with my M1A. He had the M-14 in basic, but had the M-16 in Nam. Brought back alot of memories for him and created a new one for me.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 9:39:41 PM EDT
Nice work [:)] I'll bet he appreciated the respect you showed him too. Shitting on our returning Vietnam vets was a pretty dark time in our history. Times have certainly changed for the better.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 10:08:00 PM EDT
thats cool!
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 10:13:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/25/2003 10:14:01 PM EDT by Leisure_Shoot]
I work with a marine vet who was in Nam in the early stages and we talk about it a lot. He tells me some crazy stories about R&R leave in Hong Kong. Also talks about some terrible stuff like the the Seige at Khe Sanh. He was injured there by an exploding mortar. Most of his stories are about the characters he met and spent time with. I really enjoy listening to him and I tell him how much his service means to me.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:07:28 AM EDT
I've experienced this alot with WW2 vets and my Garand...at the range or in the woods deer hunting. They just love to see it and handle it, and tell a few stories, usually about the first time on the range, or learning how to field strip it. Its nice...but I wonder, why don't more of these fellows own one?
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:16:10 AM EDT
Cool story..
Originally Posted By WarDawg: I went to a Feed and seed store to get the hungry bulldogs some food.
View Quote
Bulldog and AR owner... My kind of people.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:06:54 AM EDT
"Bulldog and AR owner... My kind of people." i'm no religious man, but AMEN to that.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:11:52 PM EDT
I hear they have excellent law enforcement there. [:D]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:27:28 PM EDT
Hey P806 I heard they do too. :) . You know the feed in seed store Im talking about then. On the corner near the Post Office. Very nice fellow. Happy Turkey day... WarDawg
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 2:00:41 PM EDT
You are making me feel a little old. Come to think of it I am a little tired. Guess I will take a nap!
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 6:53:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/27/2003 6:54:25 PM EDT by LARRYG]
I love the respect the troops are getting now, but I must admit that at times it saddens me when I remember how we were treated back then. I guess I just wish that we had gotten that adulation back then or even just a little respect. BTW, P806, are you in the Savannah area? I read a post in the Georgia Hometown thread that got me wondering. I need a shootin' buddy.
Top Top