Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2003 8:51:57 AM EDT
How is the OTIS system for cleaning the AR15? I'm a new AR owner, and want to get the proper cleaning set up. Should I go with just the full length rod and some CLP?
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:59:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Might work for some, but I use a Dewey type full length rods (1 for brushin, 1 for patches), you'll need a bore guide and a chamber cleaning tool, which ya can get from GPSS, (see Industry forum). BTW I use Sweets 7.62 as bore cleaner, a clean carb cleaner spray to rinse and CLP for lube, YMMV.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:05:37 PM EDT
[#2]
YES...OTIS is great!  Never need to worry about tearing up the gun with the rod.  Get the M16 type and you'll get a chamber brush.  I use ony Otis.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 4:52:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Otis is the best, IMHO.

You can pull a lot tighter patch than you can push.  I've pulled patches that would fold a Dewey rod in half.

I was sold when I saw a demo on a cut-away barrel at a Marine Corps show.  They really do a great job.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 7:55:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree. The otis stuff is great. If it's good enough for the military, it's good enough for me. [wave]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:49:21 AM EDT
[#5]
OTIS, My Man! (Animal House, 1978)

I recently purchased the OTIS Elite system. I love it.

I have cleaned all of my guns with it and had a few surprises. First, my handguns were clean out of the safe. The old system did a good job. Still I prefer using Otis. Second, my shotguns were FILTHY! They looked cleaned but using the tight Otis patches, I cleaned out a lot of dirt. Third, my rifles were also dirtier than they should have been. Otis again did a better job.

One concern, I have several rifles including an AR15 and M1 Garand. Reading the Armory site on the M1, I read never to clean from the chamber to the muzzle as you might damage the crown. I was taught the opposite and with the Otis you clean by following the natural path of the bullet.

What do you all think?

Philip
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 10:25:13 AM EDT
[#6]
The Otis cleans from the chamber to the muzzle.

No risk of damaging the crown (end of muzzle)
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 11:14:03 AM EDT
[#7]
You'll wish you used a BoreSnake &/or a Dewey Rod the 1st time you jam a patch in your barrel using an Otis.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:52:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You'll wish you used a BoreSnake &/or a Dewey Rod the 1st time you jam a patch in your barrel using an Otis.
View Quote

Why is that?

I've jammed some patches royally, but you can always pull them out -  even if you have to wrap the cable around the head of a hammer for the added yank.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 12:31:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How is the OTIS system for cleaning the AR15? I'm a new AR owner, and want to get the proper cleaning set up. Should I go with just the full length rod and some CLP?
View Quote

I picked up one of their pistol cleaning kits (.22 - .45) at the shop yesterday and did a clean on my 1911 after a short range session.  Worked like a champ.   I'm definately going to get one of their AR kits.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 12:37:52 PM EDT
[#10]
OTIS Elite System here, plus Butt Stock Cleaning Kits in each of my ARs.

For 30 Cal. & Larger I use Panoply Patches.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top