Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/15/2004 9:26:29 PM EDT
Sorry I know this has been gone over many times but I did a search and really didn't find anything....So, okay I have a Colt 6400C (M4).  The barrel WITHOUT the post ban "miculek" brake is 16" as measured from the crown to the closed bolt face.  Now I have a Phantom 5C2,  just can't decide whether to have the barrel cut down to 14.5" and permanently attach FH, or just thread the 16" and install the FH.  I know the ballistics would suffer with the 14.5 but it is of no concern to me ( I don't think 1.5" drastically affects velocity THAT much).

I need your opinions on:

1. Just go the distance with cutting down the bbl to 14.5" and permanently attach FH for "true" M4 look?
2. Leave bbl at 16" and just thread/install FH.
3. pro's and cons about both methods.
4. PICTURES WOULD BE VERY HELPFUL.hink
Thanks a million guys!
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:44:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Your user info does not say what state you in, so the answer is hard to give.

You may want to screw a real sound suppressor on some day (depending on state), so #2 would be your best/most flexible option.

Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:49:52 AM EDT
[#2]
It's your weapon and ultimate choice, however I would opt to leave the barrel at 16" and go with the issue Flash Supressor. 16" already take a hit in the velocity department, no sense in making matters worse by going to a 14.5", minimal as it may seem.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:13:55 PM EDT
[#3]

You may want to screw a real sound suppressor on some day (depending on state), so #2 would be your best/most flexible option.

I live in Hawaii so a sound suppressor is out of the question.  But thanks for the post... I can only wish that would be an option as far as this state is concerned.

Thanks for posting guys but does anyone have PICTURES of M4gerys with 14.5"/ permanently attached FH and 16" with FH???
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:39:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Threaded 16"
Would suck to have a problem with muzzle device or tire of it and not be able to simply unscrew it...
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:35:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It's your weapon and ultimate choice, however I would opt to leave the barrel at 16" and go with the issue Flash Supressor. 16" already take a hit in the velocity department, no sense in making matters worse by going to a 14.5", minimal as it may seem.

+1
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:07:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't know that I've ever removed an muzzle device for any reason other than to go to a phantom or vortex.  I don't know that after you've spent $1500 on ammunition burning out a barrel that having to take a $30 phantom with you is that big of a deal.  What kind of problem could you have with a phantom?  Vortex, maybe an old spreading one......I've got pinned 14.5 and unpinned 16 and it really is a matter of what works for you.  I like having at least a carbine or two in orginal M4 config, with the handiness of the loss of 2" (which is about what you lose with a collapsible stock).  Out to 300m I don't know that the diff between 14.5 and 16 means anything.

Quoted:
Threaded 16"
Would suck to have a problem with muzzle device or tire of it and not be able to simply unscrew it...

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top