Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 10/15/2004 8:26:29 PM EST
Sorry I know this has been gone over many times but I did a search and really didn't find anything....So, okay I have a Colt 6400C (M4). The barrel WITHOUT the post ban "miculek" brake is 16" as measured from the crown to the closed bolt face. Now I have a Phantom 5C2, just can't decide whether to have the barrel cut down to 14.5" and permanently attach FH, or just thread the 16" and install the FH. I know the ballistics would suffer with the 14.5 but it is of no concern to me ( I don't think 1.5" drastically affects velocity THAT much).

I need your opinions on:

1. Just go the distance with cutting down the bbl to 14.5" and permanently attach FH for "true" M4 look?
2. Leave bbl at 16" and just thread/install FH.
3. pro's and cons about both methods.
4. PICTURES WOULD BE VERY HELPFUL.hink
Thanks a million guys!
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:44:18 AM EST
Your user info does not say what state you in, so the answer is hard to give.

You may want to screw a real sound suppressor on some day (depending on state), so #2 would be your best/most flexible option.

Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:49:52 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/16/2004 7:50:28 AM EST by SteveinAz]
It's your weapon and ultimate choice, however I would opt to leave the barrel at 16" and go with the issue Flash Supressor. 16" already take a hit in the velocity department, no sense in making matters worse by going to a 14.5", minimal as it may seem.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:13:55 PM EST

You may want to screw a real sound suppressor on some day (depending on state), so #2 would be your best/most flexible option.

I live in Hawaii so a sound suppressor is out of the question. But thanks for the post... I can only wish that would be an option as far as this state is concerned.

Thanks for posting guys but does anyone have PICTURES of M4gerys with 14.5"/ permanently attached FH and 16" with FH???
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:39:18 PM EST
Threaded 16"
Would suck to have a problem with muzzle device or tire of it and not be able to simply unscrew it...
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:35:39 PM EST

Originally Posted By SteveinAz:
It's your weapon and ultimate choice, however I would opt to leave the barrel at 16" and go with the issue Flash Supressor. 16" already take a hit in the velocity department, no sense in making matters worse by going to a 14.5", minimal as it may seem.

+1
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:07:16 PM EST
I don't know that I've ever removed an muzzle device for any reason other than to go to a phantom or vortex. I don't know that after you've spent $1500 on ammunition burning out a barrel that having to take a $30 phantom with you is that big of a deal. What kind of problem could you have with a phantom? Vortex, maybe an old spreading one......I've got pinned 14.5 and unpinned 16 and it really is a matter of what works for you. I like having at least a carbine or two in orginal M4 config, with the handiness of the loss of 2" (which is about what you lose with a collapsible stock). Out to 300m I don't know that the diff between 14.5 and 16 means anything.

Originally Posted By Nate1:
Threaded 16"
Would suck to have a problem with muzzle device or tire of it and not be able to simply unscrew it...

Top Top