Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/19/2004 4:00:00 PM EDT
This past weekend i built a Rock River lower and i mated it to a DPMS upper...its a damn tight fit, but the colors are off..Anyway I have an extera spring left over/...I know can't be goos...it about an inch long and it coiled really tight...My problem is when i fire the weapon the bolt comes back but onlys goes forward about half way when it cycles the round...You can  manualy action the bolt fine...just when you fire it it stops half way...My thoughts might be that the bolt is some how catching on the hammer: because it doesn't reset itself...This is my first build and i would appreciate any advice.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:13:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Is the pen similar to a pen spring?  or a little smaller?  More like a small wooden match size?

Thinking about your post, the only one that could likely affect your bolt is the forward assist spring?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:15:13 PM EDT
[#2]
its thinner....a lot of tension too...
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:17:01 PM EDT
[#3]
There is the takedown detent spring that goes into the back of the receiver and is held in by the stock plate.

And there is the  safety/selector spring that goes up from below, just before you put the pistol grip on.

look here for help
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:30:27 PM EDT
[#4]
the spring i have doesn't match any on the sheet..I have looked at a similar sheet and also found it not to be there...it just seems the bolt it getting caught on it way back to chamber a round...
 Thanks
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:38:13 PM EDT
[#5]
What is the spring closest to on the list, and how does it differ?
Is it longer/shorter/smaller diameter?

Is your bolt carrier gas key catching on the gas tube when the carrier goes forward?
It might just be tight?  Are all parts new? Mine did that when new. A little shooting fixed it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:40:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Does it cycle without ammo?  Could it be your magazine?  Did you try a different one?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:52:29 PM EDT
[#7]
the gun is brand new....i bought the lower, seperate from the parts kit...the spring is very thin and tightly coiled..the slide will stay back on an empty mag..and i can manually action it fine...but just when i shoot does it get hung up on something...
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:56:36 PM EDT
[#8]
how close to closing is it?
Like 1/2 inch?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:59:34 PM EDT
[#9]
1"-1.5"....could i have installed the trigger incorrectly...the gun fires just doesn't cycle...i wonder if i got some extera spring
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:15:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Does everything look like this?

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:23:14 PM EDT
[#11]
yes sir...its got to be something extera...maybe i just need to break it in more
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:22:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top