Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/24/2017 4:44:23 PM
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 9/27/2004 6:37:07 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/27/2004 7:17:35 PM EST by VaniB]
I saw a Colt A2 6520 with a Fobus Handguard at the gun show. An Eotech was mounted on it. The iron sights lined up perfectly with this set up too. This can bring new life to a 6520, where a guy doesn't have to feel like he needs to trade it in for a new flat top rifle. QUESTION: Can the FOBUS hand guard provide a steady enough hold on the Eotech so the site picture doesn't change? (-I've seen Colt rifles with a wiggling hand guard!) There's a FOBUS M-33 for $55 and a 4 rail FOBUS M44 (used by Isreali military) for $99. I think they are made of composites. I prefer not to buy an Aluminum $175 Sure Fire M73 if the Fobus will work. YOUR THOUGHTS PLEASE.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:57:34 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/27/2004 7:58:47 PM EST by 223Rem]
IMHO, I would not mount any optic as a primary targeting system on a non-free floated handguard, let alone it being made of a plastic polymer. Optimally, the mounting structure should be completely secure to the upper receiver.

Although, many of the better FF systems are more robust to allow for foward mounting of an optic, any overly exerted pressure on the handguard will effect accuracy.

For $99 (and under) you can buy an ARMS #39 which mounts to the carry handle and cantilevers the optic over the handguards for a more secure mounting platform.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:00:57 PM EST
if you are set on the carry handle, you can buy either a PRI or Bennie Cooley BC-CAM drop down mount. Sell that Fobus for some change, get either of these mounts. They run $100 or so.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:34:57 PM EST
in my experience with the M33's, no. the fobus HG's are good for vert. grips and lights, i wouldn't recommend optics on them though.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:32:09 PM EST
I really liked the fact that the sleek Eotech was way forward on the rifle while the handle remained clean. But you guys are right. Looks don't mean anything of significance if the system doesn't work accurately or properly. So I won't do that. I'll have to check these alternative devices you guys are talking about to see if they are of my liking. I'm new to AR15 weapons, and have to do studying to keep up with you and know what you're referring to. All I know is I don't like clumsy looking stuff that sits up high on the handle. Not to insult any readers out there who might have such set-ups. But it's just my preference to get rid of the 6520 rifle before I would do that to it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:36:31 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/27/2004 9:37:05 PM EST by -Absolut-]
have you thought about mounting it like this?
ARMS #39A2
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:59:10 PM EST
For the ridiculous price that I've seen plastic Fobus M33 HG's go for, I'd suggest considering the Yankee Hill 2-piece handguards available from Bright Flashlights on the EE for only $112 delivered!

I had the M33s, and while they are tighter than regular handguards, they're not tight enough, nor is the rail itself "in spec" enough to mount even less expensive optics. I tried to mount an OKO on mine, and the rail was too fat. The OKO would stick up on either the left or right side.

I do disagree though that it has to be "free floated". Just stable. For a CQB optic like the EOTech, you shouldn't notice any shift from a non-floated forearm.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:57:33 AM EST

Originally Posted By -Absolut-:
in my experience with the M33's, no. the fobus HG's are good for vert. grips and lights, i wouldn't recommend optics on them though.

+1 (and I've owned & used the M33s and the M44s)
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:27:19 AM EST
Absolut,

YES, I could probably live with that! You've just given my 6520 a reprieve from being banished to the classifieds.

My only concern is having a rail hang out that far forward without some sought of spacer block support. -I wonder if (hypotheticaly)in a combat situation that the rifle could be dropped or hit causing the rail to be slightly bent and thus causing a loss of the zero sighting?

You guys are a big help and I will definitely drop the idea of buying a Fobus hand guard or any hand guard to mount the Eeotech sight. Boy, the lame stuff a dealer at a gun show will show you try to to make a sale! You gotta check stuff out carefully before spending your hard earned money, don't you?

Where do I look for a "Bennie Cooley" or a "PRI" (mentioned above) to see the options I have with those? I guess I'll just look for it in the google search.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:55:23 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:15:35 AM EST

Originally Posted By VaniB:

My only concern is having a rail hang out that far forward without some sought of spacer block support. -I wonder if (hypotheticaly)in a combat situation that the rifle could be dropped or hit causing the rail to be slightly bent and thus causing a loss of the zero sighting?

my experience w/ the ARMS mount leads me to believe that you break the optic before you would bend the mount if you dropped it
Top Top