Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/16/2004 3:21:53 PM EDT
I know all of you are sick of these questions, I am sick of trying to figure this out.

After removing the Buffer and Spring, how do I remove the stock from the lower? Do I have to loosen the Castle nut before I can remove the stock from the lower? Sorry to repeat this but I think I need the "Fake Collapsible stock removal for dummies version"

I know that this probably doesn't matter but it is a Bushmaster.  Please help me out, I am so frustrated I can barely see straight
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:21:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Castle but has to be backed off all the way, when you do this and pull the end plate back there will be a spring that pops out the back which holds the detent for the selector. Once all that is backed off the extension tube just spins out fo the receiver. Ive your looking for a new owner for the post ban stock, let me know. If its CHEAP i may be interested. Does it have the carbine length buffer or the full length buffer?

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:38:16 PM EDT
[#2]
O.K. first of all you will probably need a telestock wrench AND a propane torch.  Bushy uses loc-tite on the lock ring, and it WILL not come off without heat.  As posted above, loosen the locking ring and then you can twist the whole buttstock counter clockwise to remove the tube from the lower receiver.  Watch out, the buffer retainer pin and the spring underneath it will fly away unless you cover it with a rag or your hand, if it flies, you will not find it until petting your dog and wondering how that little piece you lost six months ago go stuck to his fur.  Again, as posted earlier, also watch out for the little spring behind the metal plate that the ring holds against the receiver, it is easy to destroy while unscrewing the buttstock if you don't watch out for it, just look carefully after you loosen the lock ring and pull back on the receiver plate, the spring will pop out behind it.  Twist the buttstock a little and put the spring aside for reassembly.  Just take your time and think about what you are doing and you will have no problems.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:40:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys that is what I needed to know.

Viper, it is a full length tube, If you are interested I can guarantee it will be cheap!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:36:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:36:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I didn't need any heat to remove my fixed bushy stock.  It just twists off.  No problem.  Not like the mini-y.  

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:11:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Little bugger comes off with no problem with an Armourer's tool!  My Bushy is now proudly wearing a six position collapsible.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:20:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
O.K. first of all you will probably need a telestock wrench AND a propane torch.  Bushy uses loc-tite on the lock ring, and it WILL not come off without heat.  As posted above, loosen the locking ring and then you can twist the whole buttstock counter clockwise to remove the tube from the lower receiver.  Watch out, the buffer retainer pin and the spring underneath it will fly away unless you cover it with a rag or your hand, if it flies, you will not find it until petting your dog and wondering how that little piece you lost six months ago go stuck to his fur.  Again, as posted earlier, also watch out for the little spring behind the metal plate that the ring holds against the receiver, it is easy to destroy while unscrewing the buttstock if you don't watch out for it, just look carefully after you loosen the lock ring and pull back on the receiver plate, the spring will pop out behind it.  Twist the buttstock a little and put the spring aside for reassembly.  Just take your time and think about what you are doing and you will have no problems.

DPMS must use locktite on the castle nut too.  I used liquid wrench and eventually the tooth on the lockplate just cut right through the buffer tube threads the- yes, I just said that I managed to remove the stock without the castle nut ever coming loose!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:53:30 PM EDT
[#8]
lol
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top