Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2008 4:39:09 PM EDT
Why are the A-2 type rear sights on my rifles gray, and everything else on them black? are all A-2's like this or just mine? Is there a reason for this or are they all made at the same factory or something? I guess it shouldn't bother me but what can I say? It does! Thank's, Tommy T.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 7:28:41 PM EDT
[#1]
they all look that way
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 7:38:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Its a politically correct rifle. If you had it all one color some asshole would sue the company for being racist.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 8:40:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Are the gray parts your looking at Parked steel?
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 2:39:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I assume that it is made of steel. It's the part of the rear sight that moves up and down when you adjust it. if the rest of the rifle has a black finish, then why can't this part be black too. There are many other steel parts on my rifles and they are black. Everybody assumes that they are airsoft guns, until they pick it up of course, because the rear sight just looks fake. Tommy T.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 3:01:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

BINGO
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 3:09:40 PM EDT
[#6]
From the .net, so take it for what it's worth...........

Zinc phosphating results in a non-reflective, light- to medium-gray finish. Manganese phosphating produces a medium- to dark-gray or black finish. Iron phosphating produces a black or dark gray finish similar to manganese phosphating. The grain size of the zinc phosphating is usually the smallest among the three processes, providing a more appealing cosmetic appearance in many applications. Many firearms that are Parkerized turn to a light greenish-gray color within a few years, as the coating ages, with the protective coating remaining intact. Cosmoline, especially, interacting with Parkerizing, can cause the highly-desired and attractive greenish-gray patina to develop on firearms that are stored in armories.

Manganese and iron phosphating coatings are usually the thickest electrochemical conversion coatings, being thicker than electrochemical conversion coatings such as zinc phosphating and bluing.

All of the electrochemical conversion coating finishes are not painted coatings, but chemically become part and parcel of the metal surface to which they are applied.

As for all electrochemical conversion coatings, the Parkerized surface must be completely covered with a light coating of oil to maximize corrosion and wear resistance, primarily through reducing wetting action and galvanic action. A heavy oil coating is unnecessary and undesirable for achieving a positive grip on Parkerized metal parts.

Alternatively, the Parkerized surface may be painted over with an epoxy or molybdenum finish for added wear resistance and self-lubricating properties.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top