Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2004 12:09:04 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/2/2004 2:03:10 PM EST by Tex78]
I've been thinking about putting a magnified optic of some sort on my AR for a while. But taking away the close-in advantage by removing my red-dot (EOtech) makes me worry too much. So I've seen lots of these rifles with ACOGs and other scopes with these mini-dots like DOCTOR/Tasco optima and others. So my question is do these combinations really work?

-Can you really hit close up targets in a hurry like using a red-dot alone?

-Are there combinations which absolutley dont work?

What my plan is at the moment is to mount a mini-dot on either a 3-9 or a 1.5-4.5 scope.

Thanks for any help!

Tex78
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 1:07:37 PM EST
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 5:39:56 PM EST
Is the JPoint a new compact dot?

If so, please give us the details!

Price, dot size, water proof, etc. etc.!!

Oh, and how much is the top rail ring for a set of AMRS #22's (i.e., I have the rings already).

Thanks!

Corey
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 7:35:05 AM EST
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:06:43 AM EST
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 11:16:39 AM EST
I have a Doctor sight and I think it's great. Pricey, although I think it's probably worth the extra $50 over the JPoint to get steel and glass. Right now I have it mounted on the hump on a RASII. I'll probably mount it on top of a TA01 when specwar comes out with the mount for the non-nsn or I guess I could do what SinistralRifleman was saying. Anyway, no complaints
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 5:25:13 PM EST
HOw is the cheak weld on a reflex sight mounted on an optic, dont look 2 comfortable and mounting it on the side at 3'0 clock seems stupid.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 9:51:16 PM EST
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 11:35:21 PM EST
I ran my Eotech 552 in the one o'clock position for a short while to see if it would work. It did work accurately and effectively.

But you do get a lot of gas/back blast coming up out of the ejection port.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:34:11 PM EST
I appreciate the help! I'm gonna see if I can find one of these combos at a funshow so i can see them firsthand!

Thanks

Tex78
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:48:22 PM EST
The DR on top of the ACOG works well for what it needs to be, when you kick down a door, you use the CHIN WELD, and the Dr optic, when you see something further than 50-100m out, use the ACOG.

The Dr had me shooting .5inch groups at 50m, but I have the 7MOA model and that means aiming with the top of the dot, not quick if you want precision, but blazing fast if you just want to hit the guy at 0-50m.

Groups open to 2-5moa using the whole 7MOA dot (its like aiming with a pie plate.) I got the big dot because I know I don't need it much past 50m.

I have to tip my K-pot up though to use the ACOG, as the Dr' optic hits the brim. But I don't think the K-pot is going to stop a round anyway- I guess it's a chance I'm willing to take.

At any rate I think the rear back up sight would have gotten in the way in the same manner, so it's no real negative.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:50:38 PM EST
Any of you guys change batteries yet? does the Dr. Optic return to zero?

I have had mine for a year and not changed batteries and they are still strong but it's been in sleep mode 99% of the time.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:56:43 PM EST
If you have the Spec War mount without any index pins then the docter does not return to zero for shit when you take it off to change the battery.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:34:46 PM EST
Maybe I should add an index pin?

I wonder if that is possible, maybe I could do it with JB weld? HAHA. (seriously it's a possibility though.), I could even add four. (I think there is a location on each corner for them.)
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:45:00 PM EST

Originally Posted By Green0:
Maybe I should add an index pin?

I wonder if that is possible, maybe I could do it with JB weld? HAHA. (seriously it's a possibility though.), I could even add four. (I think there is a location on each corner for them.)

That is funny becasue before anybody started selling mounts for the Optuima/docter/acog I made my own out of JB weld (well actually Brownells bedding compound) It did the job for a while, untill the spec war came along.

Top Top