User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2005 6:01:43 PM EDT
What are your thoughts on using the surplus LSA lubricant?  Anyone using it
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 6:18:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I think our guys back in WWII are using it.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 7:20:58 PM EDT
[#2]
it worked then it will work now for lube.
IF an Ar wont run on LSA, then you have something wrong with your ar.
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 9:22:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Why use it? There are much better oil's on the market and they don't cost much at all....only the very best for my guns!
Link Posted: 2/21/2005 3:44:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I have to agree . . . LSA was developed for the M60.   It worked on that, and the '16s in Nam.

I've been using it for 35 years - not a problem !  
Link Posted: 2/24/2005 7:02:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Strick, I say use it. Slip 2000, Fp-10, Miltec, Breakfree, and several others are good lubes. They can cost $6-$10 for 4 zo.  LSA is a very good medium weight lube that has been around for 30 + years and the cost is often low.  MHL555
Link Posted: 2/25/2005 8:19:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Me?  I'll stick with what the manual calls for - CLP.
Link Posted: 2/25/2005 11:22:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Another lube thats very much like LSA-T is the Mil-comm MC-3000 semi-fluid lube protectant.Its not surplus and much more expensive,but killer stuff.
Its new production,easy to find and does not run all over the place when it gets hot like LSA does.
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 1:31:38 AM EDT
[#8]
The TM say either LSA or CLP, both will work well. So I wouldnt hesitate to you use it.  I dunno how it would work for cleaning since its more a lubricant than a cleaner.
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 2:33:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Maybe I'm missing something in the CLP fan club, but the saying "Jack of all trades, master of none" comes to mind.  hat,
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 7:12:40 AM EDT
[#10]
LSA kicks ass
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 2:28:36 PM EDT
[#11]
the m16a2 operators manual says you can use lsa on the m16. but it is the second pick. clp has tefon in it. lsa dose not. so they made lsa-t with teflon. but thats for the mk-19 and m2 machine guns. lsa and lsa-t is thicker than clp so i like to use it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 2:51:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Maybe I'm missing something in the CLP fan club, but the saying "Jack of all trades, master of none" comes to mind.  

Exactly.  But sometimes you NEED a Jack of All Trades.

For some reason, logic would suggest that, like with automobiles, you clean your vehicle with one liquid, and lubricate it with another. When I want to clean the AR, I use regular cleaning solvent that will clean it.  To lube it, LSA does what it was intended to do.  

CLP:

Clean - this not only refers to cleaning the weapon on a bench, but the ability of the fluid to move grit out of working areas

Lubricate - this is obvious

Protect - also obvious, corrosion is bad
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 4:12:06 PM EDT
[#13]
current CLP has no teflon in it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 6:50:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Break-free CLP still has teflon in it.  Royco CLP has no teflon in it.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 7:25:50 AM EDT
[#15]
CLP:

Clean - this not only refers to cleaning the weapon on a bench, but the ability of the fluid to move grit out of working areas
Lubricate - this is obvious
Protect - also obvious, corrosion is bad

. . .I understand the principle. Depending on one item to do everything, and do it well, I'm just reminded of the TFX project of the 1960s  (for those of you who aren't old enough to remember, that became the FB-111).  It, too, was to be the jack of all trades, and ended up being the master of very little.

CLP beats a poke in the eye with a sharp stick . . and I have used it at times, until I can clean and lube my equipment appropriately.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 7:57:11 AM EDT
[#16]
that is what i have always used
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 10:25:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I belive DoD want'd to kill two birds with one stone hence CLP. One item to carry into field.
Since I'am no longer in the field, I can afford to use a good bore cleaner like Hopps and the
follow up with LSA and get the best of both worlds. WORKS GREAT!
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 6:19:17 PM EDT
[#18]
fight 4 your rights...there was an argument here about 3 years ago about cleaning and lube.
I think the guy was arguing that CLP is what the MANUAL says to use, so that is the only possible thing that can be used.. Possibly if you are in a war zone and don't have space to carry a lot of cleaning stuff.
 Otherwise, CLP is not a very good bore cleaner. And it's not a the greatest lube either. I have a  big bottle of CLP, and several of LSA.
I clean with a bore cleaner/solvent, and lube with various oils that I have. LSA is good stuff for lube.
 In 1846, the MANUAL probably stated that you should lube with bear or possum grease...

Link Posted: 3/11/2005 5:25:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
 In 1846, the MANUAL probably stated that you should lube with bear or possum grease...

There was a manual in 1846 ???  No one told us about that ! Cripe, no wonder we had so many problems with our rifles.  hug.gif
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 10:49:35 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There was a manual in 1846 ???  No one told us about that ! Cripe, no wonder we had so many problems with our rifles.  

(  and yes,  I still vote for LSA )  

"Rules for the Management And Cleaning of the Rifle Musket 1855" calls for sperm oil to be used on the metal workings and exterior to prevent corrosion.
Looks to have worked pretty well too considering the amount of very nice condition civil war muskets that are still on the market.
Lots of elbow grease was also applied.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:33:09 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There was a manual in 1846 ???  No one told us about that ! Cripe, no wonder we had so many problems with our rifles.  

(  and yes,  I still vote for LSA )  

"Rules for the Management And Cleaning of the Rifle Musket 1855" calls for sperm oil to be used on the metal workings and exterior to prevent corrosion.
Looks to have worked pretty well too considering the amount of very nice condition civil war muskets that are still on the market.
Lots of elbow grease was also applied.

Whaling anyone???
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:05:34 PM EDT
[#22]
The Marine Corps issued it to me in 81 for my M16A1.  I still use it and like it very much.  That said I like and use CLP too.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 2:57:45 PM EDT
[#23]

Whaling anyone???
hr

WAITER,  CHECK PLEASE !!  
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top