Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2004 10:45:43 PM EST
Any opinions on OKO and Kobra sights??
Have considered EOTech and Trijicon but am reticent to put a sight on my rifle that costs more than the rifle.
Thanks!!
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 11:15:56 PM EST
Well, what will the rifle be used for? If it is just for plinking or competition, then the OKO and Kobra would be fine. If it is a duty/training/SHTF rifle, then spend the money on the high grade/high speed stuff.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:14:30 AM EST
Iv'e owned the OKO and own a holosight now. The OKO, while being a nice red dot for range use, is pretty much made of all plastic. (even the mount). The adjustments don't have positive clicks to them. Your adjusting a screw into a plastic frame. Mine never had a problem but I didn't trust it either. (maybe unwarranted). I then got a holosight that has worked great and has positive click adjustemnts to it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:33:32 AM EST
I agree with what is said about the OKO. I had one and really liked it. Mounted right to the flattop it cowitnessed just fine. It was made of high-impact plastic, though. My rifles don't get all banged up but if they did, I just want to know that it'll take it. There is a prtective cover you can buy, but then you are getting up to the price of an Eotech.

Save a couple more bucks and get the Eotech!
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:18:54 AM EST
I've never used an OKO, but since it is so light weight, I could see someone using it w/ the protective cover if they were trying to save weight. I know this is upwards in price to the EOTech, but I doubt it weighs as much...just an idea I've pondered before, then again I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:56:13 AM EST
FWIW,
I use an OKO without the protective cover on my tactical shotgun (12 ga - Rem 870) and it appears to hold up to the abuse just fine... I lucked out when zeroing it for slugs and did not have to make any adjustments - it was right on at 75 yards out of the box. That being said, the one thing that bothers me is the lack of postive clicks if I ever need to adjust the sight. For my money, it has been a worthwhile investment for the application, but YMMV...
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 11:26:30 AM EST
Thanks folks. I have wondered about the ruggedness of the OKO. You are right. With the protective cover the dollar amount puts it right up there with an EOTech.
Presently this will be used for plinking but I would like to have something that is reliable and stalwart on the very slim chance that things in this country get squirrelly and there is a need to protect family and home. Though I am not obsessed with the SHTF scenario I do like to follow the old adage, "hope for the best, prepare for the worst". Therefore I do want something that I trust even though it will be currently a fun thing.

Read about the Russian Kobra and wondered if anyone had used those particular optics and had any opinions.
Also have read about Bushnell's Holo site. It looks an awful lot like the EOTech. Any thoughts on that?
Yall like the EOTech over Trijicon?

Man, gotta tell you. This site is great. I have not been here long but have learned much. It is a fine thing to have a bunch of yahoos that are willing to offer advise and suggestions and that know more than I. Thanks!!
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 1:16:38 PM EST

Originally Posted By Barkinhound:
Also have read about Bushnell's Holo site. It looks an awful lot like the EOTech. Any thoughts on that?

The Bushnell sight is made by EOtech. The difference is the protective hood and more waterproofing of the internal electronics. Its basically the same sight. Iv'e had mine for awhile and really like it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 1:42:12 PM EST
Thanks!!

So, the Bushnell has more waterproofing than the EOTech??
Is it an either or scenario with the two?

Thanks fer the info!!
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:31:26 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/3/2004 3:32:44 PM EST by knightone]

Originally Posted By Barkinhound:
Thanks!!

So, the Bushnell has more waterproofing than the EOTech??
Is it an either or scenario with the two?

Thanks fer the info!!

No, the Bushnell has less waterproofing and no protective hood. The Bushnell is the same as the EOTech 502 series.

For the stronger, more rugged, and more waterproof sights, go with the EOTech branded 511/512 and the 551/552.

For a plinker, get a Bushnell or EOTech 502.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:51:23 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:29:20 PM EST
The Kobra is a POS. I dropped it on grass from 2 feet and the power switch quit working and stayed in the on position requiring me to use the brightness as my on/off switch. After a few hundred rounds some of the LEDs that made up the various retilces went out. The controls were a pain in the ass to adjust and did not track reliably. It is hard to activate in a hurry. It ate batteries so fast it required the purchase and twice a week swapping of NIMH AA rechargable batteries. AVOID.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:57:10 AM EST
Thanks folks. All the information has been a big help and very much appreciated. Love this site.
Top Top