Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/15/2005 7:01:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/15/2005 7:28:28 PM EDT by pdynak]
does anyone have actual experience with this indian ammo made in 1986?

we all know that some indian is total crap, so we dont need to state this again

ive shot about 1200rounds of 91' with 100% reliability in several rifles.

im just curiuous if anyone knows FIRST HAND of this particular year of indian?

thanks - p
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:14:55 PM EDT
your braver than I.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:18:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Gregory_K:
your braver than I.

im not brave, im just cheap. i only used the 1991 stuff because my friend has shot this stuff for years with 0 issues, so i trusted that year.

i finished up the last of my 91' this year and i see some 86' available for a good price. ive got plenty of SA and Australian saved up, i just need something cheaper for my blasting sessions.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:33:36 PM EDT
I shot 800 rounds out of a bolt action MAS36 and a FNFAL M444. I handpicked through the bunch and didn't like the looks of about 10 rounds. They just looked a bit off. No issues with the ammo I shot, it is accurate... but mildly corrosive. Cheap and dirty, but my batch from 86 was great. I wish I would have bought more. It was like 7 cents a round.

I know the crap about Indian and stuff, but this was my first hand experience.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:15:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By likebuddah:
I shot 800 rounds out of a bolt action MAS36 and a FNFAL M444. I handpicked through the bunch and didn't like the looks of about 10 rounds. They just looked a bit off. No issues with the ammo I shot, it is accurate... but mildly corrosive. Cheap and dirty, but my batch from 86 was great. I wish I would have bought more. It was like 7 cents a round.

I know the crap about Indian and stuff, but this was my first hand experience.

holy cow 7cents, thats amazing. i would love to see that someday again, haha not likely. when i find it for 12 cents shipped i get excited. anyways thanks a lot for the info.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:41:22 PM EDT
anyone else have any first hand experience with this OFV 86'?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:06:49 AM EDT
Do a web search. There are plenty of references to how crappy this ammo is. Both the CETME/G3 and FAL guys have numerous reports of way out of spec ammo and KBs. Stay away!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:41:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/16/2005 8:43:57 AM EDT by pdynak]
ive heard probably on a ratio of 10 to 1 that indian ammo is something everyone and their mothers should avoid.

i went through two 640rounds cans of indian made in 91' and it shot preety accurate. no squibs, no corrosion, no bullets stuck in my barrel, no vinegar smell, no tar on everything, no ftf, no fte, no explosions. it shot just fine and i have no problem buying more indian.

there have been hundreds of posts on the web saying how crappy this ammo is, ok we get it, its been said. thats not what this post is about.

beleive me if i could find more 91' indian, i wouldnt be bothering with this post. all i could find is 86' at a decent price.

does anyone have any personal experience with indian 308 stamped OFV 7.62 M80 86?'
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:10:18 PM EDT
I apologize - I didn't read your post thoroughly...
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:41:25 PM EDT
oh its cool, it happens. i wasnt pissed or anything, just wanted to emphasis that point. ive searched high and low for some ACTUAL experiences with actual headstamps, so we can all sift through the good the bad the ugly.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:49:27 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:20:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By pdynak:
does anyone have actual experience with this indian ammo made in 1986?

we all know that some indian is total crap, so we dont need to state this again

ive shot about 1200rounds of 91' with 100% reliability in several rifles.

im just curiuous if anyone knows FIRST HAND of this particular year of indian?

thanks - p

I don't know whick stuff I had, if it was 86 or 91 Indian. But the stuff I had was in the clear plastic packages, I think there was ten per package. I had a case of it, it was pre sorted by JG sales. All the stuff went bang in my G3, but I presorted and rejected about ten percent for case kneck damage and way crooked bullet seating. That said, the ammunition was surprisingly consistant and grouped fairly accurate for military grade.

When I used the stuff in my match grade Mauser, there was a diffirent story. Rounds would not feed properly, several wouldn't allow the bolt handle to fully close. One neck even left a huge chunk of brase in the chamber upon extraction.

I think the Indian stuff is fine if you have a fairly loose chamber, My G3 is a perfect example but a tight bolt action, don't waste your time. Most of all, presort, it could save your life.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:07:21 AM EDT
Case head seperation in early 2004, Cetme. Had no broken shell extractor so my armorer had to jimmy it out with a 240G tool. Extremely dirty, sealed with some sort of black substance that clogged up the flutes...
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:24:12 AM EDT
I've shot 3k of the 86 stuff I got from jg through an ar 10 and I'm working on the last case now, the only problems I've had is when I left a mag out in the sun for a while, caused the pressure to raise a bit and had 2 blown primers outta 10 rounds, its as accurate as the SA I've shot through it, 2 1/2" five shot groups a 100yrds.

MLW>"<
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:29:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Ndenway:
I've shot 3k of the 86 stuff I got from jg through an ar 10 and I'm working on the last case now, the only problems I've had is when I left a mag out in the sun for a while, caused the pressure to raise a bit and had 2 blown primers outta 10 rounds, its as accurate as the SA I've shot through it, 2 1/2" five shot groups a 100yrds.

MLW>"<

3k, thats awesome. thats worth 1.5-2k of southafrican. im glad that the 86 runs good, ill have to order some more then. appreciate it.

those two blown primers, was that just from that one magazine?
Top Top