Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/31/2005 6:14:19 AM EDT
I am interested in purchasing one of these flame throwers. My requirements are reliability & cool factor. Personal protection-not likely. Strictly for fun...

I do not want to build one myself, though I know it could be cheaper and give me more flexibility. The OA-98 is pretty spacey-and I love the flush rear-but would definitely want to add a vortex and some type of hand guard:
http://www.olyarms.com/images/news-events/oa-98.jpg

But the OA-93 looks more practical (flash sup already there and a place to put ones hand-but real heavy):
http://www.quarterbore.com/images/oa961.jpg

I like the Bush b/c it's light, barrel threaded, and has a place to mount some light & lazer bling
http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/Carbon15/Images/az-C15P97S.jpg

It seems for my requirements the Bushy is the way to go-but damn that OA-98 looks really cool (do they sell the lower unit only...?)
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:27:38 AM EDT
They both would be a fine choice.
It also depends on if you want a carbon lower or not.
hmmm so many decisions for the AR family...........
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:17:44 AM EDT
I know Oly sells the upper alone....not sure of the lower.

There is a non AL lower, but not sure if you want to purchase something from the old Hesse company (currently Vulcan Arms). I know that Tromix offered a bolt action pistol upper (he made a special plug that plugs the buffer hole.....).
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:20:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By starfire9:
They both would be a fine choice.
It also depends on if you want a carbon lower or not.
hmmm so many decisions for the AR family...........hr

Don't mind the carbon-love the light weight-dig the skelotonized OA...Crap!!hinking.gif
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:41:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Kaliburz:
I know Oly sells the upper alone....not sure of the lower.

The lower is a standard AR lower with a "plug kit" to fill the buffer tube cut and a setscrew to retain the selector detent spring. The latter can be avoided by using a sling plate under the extension tube plug.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:02:15 AM EDT
I picked up an OA-93 a couple of months ago and after the initial break in, it's some of the most fun I've ever had with a firearm. We got off to a rough start with break in, but after 150 or so rounds and a real good cleaning, she's a champ. I found that mounting a general barrel-mount picatinny on the gas tube allowed for a nice front sight. I don't think it's all that heavy, especially when throwin' lead down range.

Here's mine... I've since wrapped the handguard with 550, but that's it.

http://home.satx.rr.com/trumbly/web/OA-93_withRedDotandironsights.jpg

Cheers,

-HK-
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:17:37 AM EDT
It really is tight w/o the buffer...looks awesome...

I guess I'm into things that are really compact, powerfull, and light (just bought a .308 DPMS AP4). Would still like to see if I can mount anything like a flash hider to the skeleton version...
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:28:16 AM EDT
What you would probably have to do with the OA-98, since it was designed during the AWB, would be to have the barrel threaded or have one permanently welded on. As it comes from the factory, I don't think there is a do-it-yourself option. I think all options really require a gunsmith's assistance, though you could contact Oly directly and see what they say.

-HK-
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:23:27 PM EDT
If you want reliability- Get a AK pistol! I have a 97S and it was not 100% reliable- I sent it back to Bushy-They polished the feed ramps & did whatever else-but it is still not 100%. Now I've had on order for over a YEAR a OA93....I will see how that goes. My buddies AK pistols from JOKING JOKEN- 100% reliable...Enough said!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:36:06 PM EDT
I love my bushy. After firing several hundred rounds I decided AR pistols were awesome and I wanted another. So I drove with credit card in hand to the nearest dealer with an 0A93 to go purchase it. Saw it in the case, it was beautiful, I did not even care about the price. THen I asked to pick it up. That is when it lost its appeal. The OA93 empty weighted too much, it felt much heavier than the bushy loaded. I too am curious about the OA98, since it might be as light as the bushy (I hope). I plan on picking one of those up in the future if I can find one that I can play with before purchasing.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:33:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By drjwelch:
I love my bushy. After firing several hundred rounds I decided AR pistols were awesome and I wanted another. So I drove with credit card in hand to the nearest dealer with an 0A93 to go purchase it. Saw it in the case, it was beautiful, I did not even care about the price. THen I asked to pick it up. That is when it lost its appeal. The OA93 empty weighted too much, it felt much heavier than the bushy loaded. I too am curious about the OA98, since it might be as light as the bushy (I hope). I plan on picking one of those up in the future if I can find one that I can play with before purchasing.

The weight is usually what turns people off..... aside from price- last I saw an OA ran in the 1K range.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:32:52 AM EDT
The Freaky OA-98 weighs 49 ozs vs the Bushy's various pistols weiging 47 oz's (naked barrel) to 58 oz's (with hand guard and top/bottom rail). I think I can find an '98 for about $950, while the loaded Bushy for about $780...

I agree the OA-93 is way too heavy...
Top Top