Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2006 4:18:16 PM EDT
I came across one and it seems pretty neat. 16" SS barrel, skeletonized folding stock, bayo lug, vortex flash hider. Does anybody own one? If so, how do you like it? Pros/Cons? What would one in 90-95% cost? Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:34:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Need more info.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:43:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Need more info.

It's made by Olympic Arms.  It's the OA-93 carbine.  
Here's a link to one
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:07:46 PM EDT
[#3]
The OA93 is a gas piston operated AR15/AR18 hybrid built using traditional AR15 components and capable of accepting STANAG magazines. I owned an OA93 carbine a while back and I really enjoyed it. I prefer folding stocks to the telescopic stock of the standard AR carbines. Since this use a gas piston design, it eliminates the buffer tube and thus can accomidate a folding stock. The folder used is very firm and the lockup is extremely solid with no slop. Its very similar, if not identical to the FN/Galil folder. My gun would hold 2 MOA maximum with M193 and slightly under that with good quality ammo. This isn't quite as accurate as a DI weapon, but its accuracy is excellent and is more than enough for a defensive weapon. There are no iron sights and no

provisons to mount them. I have seem people adapt iron sights to these weapons, but it takes some time/ingenuity. I had several different optics on mine while I owned it, but I never installed iron sights. Most people mount BUIS on the front/rear of the 1913 rail. The rail isn't very long which equates to a very short sight radius, but still very functional. The HK G36 and certain ACOGs have "emergency" sights similar to this, but mounting BUIS on a OA93 as I have described would be infinantly more functional. Several LE agencies have used and continue to use OA93's as they are excellent weapons. It offers all the advantages of the standard DI AR15 with the added bonus of a piston operating system. These are great SBR weapons as they don't have the problems DI short barreld weapons have. They only thing I did not like about my OA93 carbine was that it did not have factory iron sights. Some type of an optic is mandatory as I think the sight radius with BUIS is too short for anything other than backup/emergency use. It also weights slightly more than a standard AR, but not prohibitively so. Some accessories obviously won't be compatible, but I am a KISS believer so this didn't affect me. I beleive Olympic makes a rail for this weapon, though. IIRC, this had a lifetime warranty, just like other Olympic weapons. I have only owned a few Olympics, but I have known several people who have and all had excellent luck. They make good weapons and offer excellent customer service. IIRC, the price for a brand new OA93 carbine is around 1200.00 Mine was in the condition you inquired about and I paid 850.00 with a "homeboy hookup", which was fair IMO. Should you decide to buy it, I think you will be very pleased. Not only are the cool and different but they are very reliable and functional weapons. This would certainly suffice as a SHTF or HD weapon. There is more information on this site www.quarterbore.com/ar15m16/oa93.htm
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:39:52 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The OA93 is a gas piston operated AR15/AR18 hybrid built using traditional AR15 components and capable of accepting STANAG magazines. I owned an OA93 carbine a while back and I really enjoyed it. I prefer folding stocks to the telescopic stock of the standard AR carbines. Since this use a gas piston design, it eliminates the buffer tube and thus can accomidate a folding stock. The folder used is very firm and the lockup is extremely solid with no slop. Its very similar, if not identical to the FN/Galil folder. My gun would hold 2 MOA maximum with M193 and slightly under that with good quality ammo. This isn't quite as accurate as a DI weapon, but its accuracy is excellent and is more than enough for a defensive weapon. There are no iron sights and no

provisons to mount them. I have seem people adapt iron sights to these weapons, but it takes some time/ingenuity. I had several different optics on mine while I owned it, but I never installed iron sights. Most people mount BUIS on the front/rear of the 1913 rail. The rail isn't very long which equates to a very short sight radius, but still very functional. The HK G36 and certain ACOGs have "emergency" sights similar to this, but mounting BUIS on a OA93 as I have described would be infinantly more functional. Several LE agencies have used and continue to use OA93's as they are excellent weapons. It offers all the advantages of the standard DI AR15 with the added bonus of a piston operating system. These are great SBR weapons as they don't have the problems DI short barreld weapons have. They only thing I did not like about my OA93 carbine was that it did not have factory iron sights. Some type of an optic is mandatory as I think the sight radius with BUIS is too short for anything other than backup/emergency use. It also weights slightly more than a standard AR, but not prohibitively so. Some accessories obviously won't be compatible, but I am a KISS believer so this didn't affect me. I beleive Olympic makes a rail for this weapon, though. IIRC, this had a lifetime warranty, just like other Olympic weapons. I have only owned a few Olympics, but I have known several people who have and all had excellent luck. They make good weapons and offer excellent customer service. IIRC, the price for a brand new OA93 carbine is around 1200.00 Mine was in the condition you inquired about and I paid 850.00 with a "homeboy hookup", which was fair IMO. Should you decide to buy it, I think you will be very pleased. Not only are the cool and different but they are very reliable and functional weapons. This would certainly suffice as a SHTF or HD weapon. There is more information on this site www.quarterbore.com/ar15m16/oa93.htm

Ryno,

Wow!!  Great review!!  Didn't know it doesn't come with iron sights either.  Also didn't know about the lifetime warranty either.   Now i just need to raise some funds.  I have a post-ban Bushmaster M4A2 (no bayo lug, mini-Y comp that's LOUD) and would be nice to have an AR-15 platform with some of the "evil" features.  Part of me wants to sell the Bushy, but it's the first AR I've owned and can't see parting with her.  Once again, thanks for all the great info!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top