Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 5/21/2005 2:39:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/21/2005 8:35:51 PM EDT by QUIB]
when the SF guys shot his Mercedes through the hood in Blackhawk Down, cause I just shot the hood of my truck!

I can’t believe it, I feel like the biggest ass and feel like I broke one of the cardinal safety rules for shooters! Me and my son went out for some range time today. We were sitting together at the table we brought along, doing some bench work. Since my son was to my right and would get pelted by my brass I got up and moved to the front of my truck. I figured I could pop off the last ten rounds I had before leaving by propping my M4gery on the hood using my vert grip as a monopod. Well during the rapid fire of the 10 rounds at a target about 100m away I moved my rifle down towards the fender to steady my aim and finished off the mag.

Well as I pulled the rifle up I noticed two entry holes and one grazing mark across the hood! Son of a bitch I just shot up my truck! I popped the hood and didn’t see any damage and the drive back home was uneventful. For the life of me I can not find any exit holes! I feel really blessed that my engine is ok but I sure feel stupid!

Now before you guys tear me apart let me tell ya, I could have kept this to my self but I felt airing my stupidity here might make me feel better.

Ok, now flame away, and DON’T ASK FOR PICS!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 2:50:38 PM EDT
I recall this happening to a guy who loaned his vehicle as a start posistion/cover for a 3 gun type of shoot. The shooter was looking into his optic and didnt think of the fact his barrel was a bit lower than the little red dot.

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 2:52:53 PM EDT
Is this what they mean by Mechanical Offset?
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 2:54:42 PM EDT
Awwww cmon, no pics. Sorry to hear about your truck. One time I shot a guys deck up a little. I was shooting throught the vertical stringers that held up the railing and my muzzle of a .22 was sort overlapping the rail. (it was scoped). This was much less of a problem than 2 holes in a car though!!!! Ouch.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 2:59:28 PM EDT
Why be a poser with those bullet hole stickers, you've got the real thing. h.gif
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 3:05:18 PM EDT
Now you need a kick ass BS story to tell about how you got those battle scars. Sorry about your truck man.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 3:06:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By IchWarrior:
I recall this happening to a guy who loaned his vehicle as a start posistion/cover for a 3 gun type of shoot. The shooter was looking into his optic and didnt think of the fact his barrel was a bit lower than the little red dot.

At least I'm not the first!

This was my situation also, I was looking through my EOTech!
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 3:12:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By QUIB:

... and DON’T ASK FOR PICS!!!!!!

You Tease
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 3:16:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By PA22-400:

... and DON’T ASK FOR PICS!!!!!!

You Tease

I feel stupid enough as is with out pics, and you guys have good enough imaginations you don't need the pics!

Plus, I'm not giving ya' any Photoshop material to use on me!
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 3:32:53 PM EDT
I was sitting in a buddy's suburban glassing a soon-to-be-executed chuck. Buddy was lining up with rifle on bipod on the roof. But when he fired he forgot about bore-line vs. line of sight. About 1.5", is all. But it was enough to put the round through the roof. The hollow point buried itself in the molding to the rear.

Look at the bright side: noone was hurt, and you'll never do that again.

There is no such thing as "too" safe.

Sam
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 3:38:20 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 4:14:53 PM EDT
Just get some of those stickers, put them all across the hood of the truck and see if any one notices the real thing.
I'M KIDDING!

Had a accidental discharge one time, with a 308 rifle!
I was checking to see if my new Galil mags would feed OK.
Missed the water line under the floor by about 3/4".
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 4:56:40 PM EDT
Well I feel a little better that I’m not the only one, but I still feel pretty stupid! Mrs. Quib is really taking it lightly, better than I expected, I was dreading that cell phone call on the way home, she thought I was BSing her at first!

The look on my sons face when it happened was priceless!

I’m still puzzled about the exit wounds though. I pulled down the hood liner and only saw one exit hole out of the two “through” shots. One round hit a re-enforcement in the hood. I guess it must have fragmented on impact. Funny thing is there is absolutely no damage to the engine at all, not a scratch! I guess the other two rounds glanced off the hood, they look more like tears than holes, the hood is composite.

The angle of fire was so shallow I think the rounds skipped and ripped rather than penetrated. That would explain why there is no engine damage.

Wheww...........!
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:24:07 PM EDT
I've done the same thing--but luckily it was a picnic table and not a vehicle.

I saw a hunting show where a guy was high on a rock outcropping shooting at a deer down in the canyon below with a scoped rifle. He shot, and the deer ran off unharmed. He couldn't explain the miss, then they saw the graze mark in the stone from the bullet.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:39:15 PM EDT
Don't feel bad, my uncle did the same thing with a .30-06. Was trying to sight his rifle in before hunting season, though he would prop the gun on top of the bed of his truck.
Well, he looked through the scope, and saw a clean line of site to the target, and pulled the trigger only to shoot a hole through the opposite side of his truck bed.

Like Homer Simpson said
Doohh!!
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:37:58 PM EDT
Not to be a smart ass or anything but the guy in the Jeep-like vehicle wasnt a general, but was the generals arms supplier. Sorry about your truck though.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:54:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Lenaburg:
Not to be a smart ass or anything but the guy in the Jeep-like vehicle wasnt a general, but was the generals arms supplier. Sorry about your truck though.

Yea.............Mr. Atta wasn't it?

Forgive me, I'm still in shock!
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:57:25 PM EDT
Come on man, picks!

If you post the picks and your PayPal account address I will donate $5 to your get a new hood fund!
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:02:42 PM EDT

Sorry bro, just imagining the look on your face.

Here's a good one for you.

Me and gramps are riding down out of the mountains above Albuquerque after a deer hunt, I'm carrying a 30-06, gramps is carrying a 303 enfield... truck hits bump...
loud ringing in ears begins because the 303 goes of IN the cab of the truck...
through the roof! Scared him so bad he drives off the trail and we end up nose down in a ravine, nothing to major. He starts yelling at me for carrying a loaded rifle in the truck...
Except mine wansn't loaded, only his was. Damndest hunting trip I've ever had and the most memorable. Someday I'm moving back out to N. Mexico to my mountains.

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:03:16 PM EDT
QUIB, it could have been worse, you could have decided to just finish off that last .50 BMG round from the hood of your truck and taken out the windows and dented the hood! I have heard of people doing that! Glad no one got hurt, and you now have learned a lesson.

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:35:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Johnny_Reb:
Come on man, picks!

If you post the picks and your PayPal account address I will donate $5 to your get a new hood fund!

Thanks, but the holes are now bondo'd up! Tomorrow.......prime and paint!
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:54:50 PM EDT
Those are speed holes, they make the car go faster.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 9:01:24 PM EDT
QUIB
I don't think you made a violation of the safety rules (IMHO), I think you made a "tactical error" and didn't utilize your sights properly. Just my .02. Sorry about your truck.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 9:06:39 PM EDT
Well, since you are a mechanic, slapa little "aircraft structural repair" tape and you will be good to go.

Sorry to hear about the truck, but glad it was just some sheetmetal that got perforated.

Don't feel too bad, my careless ex GF did that to my $20 Walmart guncase.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 9:07:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By LegionVI:
QUIB
I don't think you made a violation of the safety rules (IMHO), I think you made a "tactical error" and didn't utilize your sights properly. Just my .02. Sorry about your truck.

Correct, it was a BIG "tactical error"! Not really a safety violation so to say, to me more of a “personal safety violation”. I always strive to prevent such stupid things from happening, and never even gave my actions a second thought as I was firing away!

I definitely learned my lesson.........next time drive Mrs. Quibs car!

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 9:10:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BillofRights:
Well, since you are a mechanic, slapa little "aircraft structural repair" tape and you will be good to go.

Sorry to hear about the truck, but glad it was just some sheetmetal that got perforated.

Actually, believe it or not, the first thing I did was patch the holes with strips of "speed tape"!
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:09:24 AM EDT

next time drive Mrs. Quibs car! hr

+1
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:46:49 AM EDT
Sorry about the truck but better the truck than a person!!!!
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:54:47 AM EDT
"... the damned terrorist ROP'ers were shootin' at me, and hit the hood of my truck. I returned fire and got three of 'em. Didn't find any bodies, they musta dragged off their dead when they retreated. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it."
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:55:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/22/2005 7:56:48 AM EDT by QUIB]

Originally Posted By A_Free_Man:
"... the damned terrorist ROP'ers were shootin' at me, and hit the hood of my truck. I returned fire and got three of 'em. Didn't find any bodies, they musta dragged off their dead when they retreated. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it."

That's a good one!

Me and my son were joking afterwards on the way home, saying this must be how the SF Toyotas look in Afghanistan!
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:03:23 AM EDT
There's always a silver lining if you just look for it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:08:49 AM EDT
A couple of the guys I work with deer hunt in Missouri (high power allowed) and killed the Jeep they were riding in a few years ago. A loaded (don't ask me I wasn't there) rifle came off the rack and landed on the floor between the seats and discharged into the back of the engine, pretty much ending their hunt. Wonder why I don't spend much time with these fellows away from work???
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:10:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/22/2005 8:11:30 AM EDT by bigbore]
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:16:16 AM EDT
My brother put two holes through the side bed of his work truck shooting at a coyote once. He was using the side rail to steady a 22.250 bolt gun and shot through the top of the opposite rail. The funny thing is that his boss was with him when he did it, and all he said was "well I guess you will be driving this truck till it dies. He did end up missing a fleet truck rotation because of it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:19:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By bigbore:
Since you wont post any pics, I'll paint my mental picture. I see tall skinny, mid-30s redneck, with mullet and trucker cap wearing a white wife beater. Standing in front of his 82 Ford pickup, with a confederate battle flag front license plate. Its parked in front of his double wide, while he and his toothless cousin drink Natural Light and cover the holes with "speed tape".hr

What did Natural Light ever do to you?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:20:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By bigbore:

Originally Posted By BillofRights:

Actually, believe it or not, the first thing I did was patch the holes with strips of "speed tape"!

Since you wont post any pics, I'll paint my mental picture. I see tall skinny, mid-30s redneck, with mullet and trucker cap wearing a white wife beater. Standing in front of his 82 Ford pickup, with a confederate battle flag front license plate. Its parked in front of his double wide, while he and his toothless cousin drink Natural Light and cover the holes with "speed tape".

No, no, no! You got it all wrong!

Speed tape is way to advanced for red necks!

"Speed tape" is the nick name for aluminum aviation structural tape. It’s used to help secure panels or doors on aircraft and for temporary repairs. It’s used a lot in the airlines, and by airline mechanics who shoot holes in their trucks!
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:46:47 PM EDT

and DON’T ASK FOR PICS!!!!!!

Top Top