Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2008 2:43:42 PM EDT
Went to the range yesterday to fire my new Stag, CMMP 6.8 and Noveske builds. the Stag and CMMP fired flawlessly but the Noveske had some FTF's- specifically it would fire the initial round and eject the casing but it would not feed the next round. I went thru one magazine without issues (ss109) and switched ammo and started having the problem.

I fired a few rounds from that magazine (with the different ammo-Olympic ss109) thru the Stag without problems. I then exchanged the spring and buffer in the two and lubed the noveske up- none of this helped.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 4:30:50 PM EDT
[#1]
ill answer like most would.   Get a Colt or a Noveske to stop having problems.....Oh wait!!

Sorry to do that at you expense.   try different AMMO,,,,if not that a gas issue i would think.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 4:35:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Olympic is crap ammo. Before you assume something is wrong, buy some better ammo and try again. Also, make sure there isn't any popped primers down in the fire control area.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 4:41:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Also, make sure there isn't any popped primers down in the fire control area.

+1

And check your gas key to insure it's tightened down. Just 'cause it's properly staked, doesn't mean it's bolted down tight.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 12:51:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Any ideas?

Yea, call John and give him a chance to help you figure out what is wrong and then post here.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 2:40:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
ill answer like most would.   Get a Colt or a Noveske to stop having problems.....Oh wait!!

Sorry to do that at you expense.   try different AMMO,,,,if not that a gas issue i would think.  

It was the Noveske build with the issue. The others fired the magazine with the Olympic ss109 without the FTF.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 2:47:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Whatever it is John will take care of it ASAP.  Mine eats shit ammo all day.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 2:54:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Olympic is crap ammo. Before you assume something is wrong, buy some better ammo and try again. Also, make sure there isn't any popped primers down in the fire control area.

This exact thing happened to me!  I could not figure out why my FCG was periodically getting frozen and it was from a batch of olympic ss109. I didn't even bother shooting the rest of it. It's worth more as scrap metal.

Change mags and ammo nd try again.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 2:59:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This exact thing happened to me!  I could not figure out why my FCG was periodically getting frozen and it was from a batch of olympic ss109. I didn't even bother shooting the rest of it. It's worth more as scrap metal.

Any Idea why the Stag would eat it just fine but not the Noveske?
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 1:52:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any Idea why the Stag would eat it just fine but not the Noveske?

This is one of those times where one just says "I don't know". I DO know that Oly has a HORRIBLE reputation with it's 5.56 AR ammo, especially it's "surplus" tin crap. It was recalled pretty much if one complained, one of the gunshow vendors [now out of business] refunded every dime of my money and said he'd get reimbursed no problem. My Colt 6920 blew about 6 out of 10 primers with this crap but hasn't choked yet with any other quality stuff. Don't blame the gun before you feed it some decent stuff, and Oly isn't quality stuff by a long shot.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 7:01:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I tried 2 different magazines (magpul pmag and colt 20 round mag) with Federal/Lake City XM193 thru the noveske and had identical FTF's (none with my others).

Any new ideas?
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 7:03:44 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I tried 2 different magazines (magpul pmag and colt 20 round mag) with Federal/Lake City XM193 thru the noveske and had identical FTF's (none with my others).

Any new ideas?

YES.  Call Noveske before posting again.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 7:10:56 AM EDT
[#12]
height=8
Quoted:

Any new ideas?

I just ran 300 rounds of LC XM193 with pmags through my new Noveske build (Anvil Arms lower / Noveske 14.5 low profile VIS upper).  Not one single hiccup.  Make sure you gas rings didn't accidentally get lined up.  If not, call John.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 7:13:12 AM EDT
[#13]
FYI- in NO WAY am I flaming Noveske. I LOVE their products and have another noveske that is flawless. One magazine went thru it great. I know it is a simple issue that will be easy to figure out- just was going to see if I could take care of it myself.

Again- No problems whatsoever with Noveske- a 100% top tier product.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 7:14:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any new ideas?

I just ran 300 rounds of LC XM193 with pmags through my new Noveske build (Anvil Arms lower / Noveske 14.5 low profile VIS upper).  Not one single hiccup.  Make sure you gas rings didn't accidentally get lined up.  If not, call John.

Gas rings lining up is a myth.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 7:22:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Is it a Noveske factory rifle or one you built? Need more info.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 7:24:10 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Is it a Noveske factory rifle or one you built? Need more info.

I bought the upper from a dealer in the industry section and built the lower.

pic here
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 7:55:27 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any new ideas?

I called Noveske and spoke with John- I told him about this thread and that my intentions were to fix an issue that I may have caused when I built the rifle. He offered to look at it himself, diagnose and fix any issue the upper may have, cover the shipping, and will send me a specific mil-spec mag with it on return. I have never dealt with a more upstanding individual who prides his work and reputation more.

Noveske is truly a classy company.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 8:11:42 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Any new ideas?

Yeah.  Do the proper parts and places have lubrication?
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 8:35:03 AM EDT
[#19]
I would say swap BCGs, but you've already talked to Noveske, so there you go.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 8:35:07 AM EDT
[#20]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

Any new ideas?

I called Noveske and spoke with John- I told him about this thread and that my intentions were to fix an issue that I may have caused when I built the rifle. He offered to look at it himself, diagnose and fix any issue the upper may have, cover the shipping, and will send me a specific mil-spec mag with it on return. I have never dealt with a more upstanding individual who prides his work and reputation more.

Noveske is truly a classy company.

Totally agree.  They are a kick ass company.  My next rifle purchase is through them, no doubts about it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top