Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2009 3:08:18 AM EST
Can someone please explain to me if it makes any difference whether I use one or the other?

I have 7 stag lower parts kits and 2 have un-notched hammers while the ramaining 5 have notched hammers.

Does it make a difference whether I use these with semi or auto carriers? Shrouded vs un-shrouded firing pins?

Your help on this matter is greatly appreciated as I have'nt a clue.

Thanks.

ED
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 4:44:04 AM EST
I'm really new at this, so I'm probably wrong, but there should be no difference for a civilian build, except maybe in the case of running different calibers, like a Spike's 22 upper. Those don't seem to like the notched hammers and cause the bolt to hang up during cycling.

But like I said I'm new. Hopefully, someone who knows what they are talking about will chime in shortly.
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 5:01:03 AM EST
Thanks tcs,

I will see what others might have to say on this matter. However,
I have to go give my pillow some head right now before I turn to dust as I am a vampire (night-shift worker).

See Ya.

ED
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:13:37 PM EST
I prefer unnotched hammers for all of my rifles, whether shrouded or unshrouded carriers.

If your carriers are shrouded, that is, exposed firing pin flange, use the unnotched hammers there, and use the notched hammers with shrouded carriers.

Why? Because notched hammers tend to catch on the exposed firing pin flanges of unshrouded carriers. Even if this does not cause a stoppage, the constant catching every time the carrier moves bends the firing pin retainer (aka "cotter pin").

The most reliable setup is shrouded carriers with unnnotched hammers.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:24:37 AM EST

Originally Posted By A_Free_Man:
I prefer unnotched hammers for all of my rifles, whether shrouded or unshrouded carriers.

If your carriers are shrouded, that is, exposed firing pin flange, use the unnotched hammers there, and use the notched hammers with shrouded carriers.

Why? Because notched hammers tend to catch on the exposed firing pin flanges of unshrouded carriers. Even if this does not cause a stoppage, the constant catching every time the carrier moves bends the firing pin retainer (aka "cotter pin").

The most reliable setup is shrouded carriers with unnnotched hammers.

totally agree, out of my 4 ARs, 2 have shroulded "enhanced" carriers and two have M16 fullauto carriers. All four have un-notched hammers.

DPMS were the only guys with un-notched hammers, I think there are a couple more now, but I don't know their names.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:58:22 AM EST
The hammer that came with the LPK with my Stag kit from Legal Transfers was un-notched, but when I bought 2 Stag LPK's from Pete both hammers were the notched ones. I thought that maybe there was an option to choose which hammer you would like, but I couldn't find anything on Stag's website.
Top Top