Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2006 12:48:01 AM EDT
I've been wanting to ask this for a while now but haven't gotten around to it. I have 2 problems with Norrells. I was hoping that some of you guys who's ARs have turned out a million times better than mine could help me out.

Problem 1.) I've got several things I'd like to spray, but it's freezing cold outside. Literally. When the metal is pre-heated everything works great, but when I step outside to spray, the metal turns the same temperature as the air and then the Norrells runs as soon as it hits the rifle.
I can't spray inside, it's just not an option. The garage is just as cold. Is there anyway to get around this?

Problem 2. ) I've got a long distance bolt gun that I'd like to spray but the barrel itself is 26" long, and so the whole thing won't fit in the oven. Can I just leave the oven door open and turn it broil or something? (I think that was cause uneven heating and turn out pretty nasty) I'm open to suggestions.

I appreciate it a lot. Thanks in advance guys.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:55:25 AM EDT
[#1]
have you looked into lauers Dura Coat. 2 part epoxy, no need heat or preheat.

As to the running, try a finer spray and shorter bursts from the airbrush, try varying the distance to the surface.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:57:38 AM EDT
[#2]
think you are gonna have to find another option or sink more money into it.

build a curing oven from old oven parts? space heater outside?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:30:03 AM EDT
[#3]
When I did mine I did it in the garage with the door wide open.  Had a large space heater and a hairdryer basically aimed at what I was sprayed.  Worked really well.  As far as baking.... looks like your going to need to either buy or build a curing oven.  A lot of people have built them with old dryer heating elements.  

-C4-
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:43:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Steve,

Keep the Norrells warm.  I use a bucket or a pot filled with hot water.

Yes, with a large item you can leave the oven door open, just make sure you swap it so both sides are getting heated.  Check for cure when done, and remember that your curing time will increase.

A 26" barrel shouldn't be impossible, try removing the racks and putting it in at an angle, then raise the farther side to the top while the other side comes down to the bottom.

If its close, try finding someone with a larger oven.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:31:06 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Steve,

Yes, with a large item you can leave the oven door open, just make sure you swap it so both sides are getting heated.  Check for cure when done, and remember that your curing time will increase.

A 26" barrel shouldn't be impossible, try removing the racks and putting it in at an angle, then raise the farther side to the top while the other side comes down to the bottom.

your genius knows no bounds!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:57:47 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Steve,

your genius knows no bounds!

+1
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top