Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2006 8:52:53 AM EDT
Just wanted to let those who are feint of heart to refinish any of their beat-out AR's to go right ahead full-steam and give the Norrell's Moly Resin a try.

Just refinished my M4gery, mainly because it's down to bare aluminum in places, both from wear and knocking around in my truck-my workhorse do-all AR. Bottom line-finish is just about as flawless as you can get, and I didn't even try. I'd say I gave a half-hearted effort at preparation at best, the only thing I paid real attention to was degreasing, other than that I barely took it apart save removing the handguards/gas tube. The Colt grey-black was the color, and Christ what a perfect, even finish. Damn thing looks better than coming straight from the factory.

So, go do it. I'm certain this won't be my last.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:59:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the world of Norrell's.  That is probably the best refinishing product there is.  I usually use flat black, but I have been known to dabble with OD Green.  Perfect every time.  MJD
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:07:40 AM EDT
[#2]
This has always been in the back of my mind, not that I have anything to refinish, just looking ahead.  What did you use?  Airbrush?  Give us some more details.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:10:19 AM EDT
[#3]
WE want pics !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:41:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes it its.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:45:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:46:39 PM EDT
[#6]
You know I don't know why I pulled the gas tube, I suppose I certainly could've taped it easily enough. I guess I just thought it would be easier to get it out of the way. Geez, I thought I was lazy enough with the lack of preparation I already did, you're right-I could've just taped it!

BTW, just to be certain I performed the test after baking, and wiped the finish with MEK, and the Norrell's stayed put, not even a bit of color came off. For grins I also had an FN 30-round mag just laying on my workbench, when I was done with the AR I looked over and grabbed the mag, pulled the follower/spring, sprayed a shitload of brake cleaner and wiped it off. Shot the thing as well, tossed it in the oven with the AR and took it out an hour later. Guess what? Another use for Norrell's...what a beautiful magazine. Loaded and unloaded the thing from the M4gery's magwell a bunch, and no scratches seen or other blemishes, it seems to hold up well. Gonna do a bunch more mags now...

As far as the equipment, I had an old Binks detailing gun (external siphon mix), hooked it up to my compressor @ about 18-20psi through the external regulator, which atomized the Norrell's just fine. I'm gonna mess with the pressure a bit more to get just the right amount without using too much paint. Any suggestions would be welcomed by any of you guys who do a lot of that sort of thing.

I'll post pics as soon as I can.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:42:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:45:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Norrells is great.  Just stay away from their TAN.  It's sucks IMO.

Anyone need any TAN uppers or lowers?

tell us about the tan I was about to do an upper and some other parts
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:00:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:58:00 PM EDT
[#10]
so...

Pictures?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:03:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Yes it its.

+1
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:09:31 PM EDT
[#12]
does coyote brown have the same problems as the tan?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:25:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:36:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Where's the best place to buy Norrell's black?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:12:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:30:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Sorry about the pics, I still have to open an account with someone who will host the pics. Just haven't had time as yet...I'll get to it, tho.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top