Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/16/2003 11:03:30 AM EDT
Iam up in Canada .. and surplus 5.56 is hard to com by .. but Norinco .223 55gr is available at an ok price *ok by Canadian prices that is *

its like $400 canadian per case of 1600rnds
so its about 300 us bucks but stuff up here is
insanely priced anyway...

its supposedly new lots not surplus and its
.223 not 5.56m.... any thoughts ??

heres the link for anyone in Canada intesrested

http://www.marstar.ca/ammo/556x45mm.htm

is the chinese stuff crap ?? will it blow my 5.56 DMPS M4 up ;)
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 3:01:24 PM EDT
[#1]
here is my experience;

i have a olympic CAR15 bought in 1991, at that time i shot about 1000 rounds of yellow box norinco and then 500 rounds of the black&white box norinco (made @ 1993 roughly). at that point the bolt cracked right where the cam pin hole is. i never relly noticed the ammo being excedingly hot but i did have a few failure to extract issues back then so maybe it was too hot.

i have also seen other AR bolts to this using different ammo.

i would say the brass is good though, i have reloaded the norinco brass many times before it split the case mouth. YMMV

Link Posted: 9/16/2003 3:45:31 PM EDT
[#2]
That yellow box stuff is great shooting.  I put about 2,000 rounds thru a Colt M16 and was hoping to get more when the turds banned the import into the U.S.  That pricing seems a bit crazy cause I think I paid $130 or $150 per case back then.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 4:48:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought the yellow box stuff back in the 90's and no problems. It was great and priced cheap. I still reload the cases,so can't be all that bad! I think i payed something like $1.99/bx from Paragon which I believe went out of business. Now it's Wolf and no reloads!
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 4:54:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Iam up in Canada .. and surplus 5.56 is hard to com by .. but Norinco .223 55gr is available at an ok price *ok by Canadian prices that is *

its like $400 canadian per case of 1600rnds
so its about 300 us bucks but stuff up here is
insanely priced anyway...

its supposedly new lots not surplus and its
.223 not 5.56m.... any thoughts ??

heres the link for anyone in Canada intesrested

[url]http://www.marstar.ca/ammo/556x45mm.htm[/url]

is the chinese stuff crap ?? will it blow my 5.56 DMPS M4 up ;)
View Quote
Made link hot.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 6:40:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Norinco .223 in the "yellow box" or China Sports (which is Norinco) in the "red and black box" is good ammo.  I've shot thousands of rounds through my M16 and it has worked very well.  Despite what people might believe, Norinco is NOT corrosive nor will it blow up your rifle anymore than any other "major" world country ammo.  There are some exceptions to this!  I use it primarily for the HUGH flash it produces out of my 11.5" barrel.  I only wish I could get more of it!
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 5:28:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I've shot a few hundred of the red and black box stuff in each of my ar's and so far so good.  Not the most accurate, but fun when just practicing.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 8:06:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for your input guys ...

I wish I could rent a semi and get a load of ammo from the US ... you pay alot less and have
alot more choices ...

that price is a good price up here .. the only other semi bulk ammo available to us regularly
is the remington UMC stuff and its $90 for 200
55 gr rounds up here .. *sighs*

oh .. to be able to buy cheap ammo and have 30rnd mags that arent pinned to 5rnds

thanks again!
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 11:46:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Is the Norinco ammo Steel Core or anything like that. The range I go to does the magnet test for the ammo. Will it pass?
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 11:10:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Will they ship to a US address?  I still have about 600 rounds of this and it was EXCELLENT ammo, full velocity and a slightly thinner jacket than spec M193.  I would like to have more.  Ops
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top