Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/8/2004 4:37:18 AM EDT
I have a chance to buy some Norinco .223 for $150 per M from a Gun Store that is going out of business (believe he only has a little more than one case).  I think it has been in stock for some time as the last Norinco ammo I saw was 7.62 x 39 about 10 years ago.  The boxes say brass case/reloadable.  Does anyone have any recommendations., is it at least decent blasting ammo?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:16:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I've only had experience with Norinco .223 ammo once, and it was years ago (around '89). I had 800 rounds of the stuff to fire through my Mini-14 and my Colt SP1. Every round fired with no problems of any kind. I am not sure about accuracy. The ammo was in yellow boxes with red lettering if I rember correctly. It was brass-cased ammo and I can't remember if it was Boxer or Berdan primed. It's been so long that this info may not be relevant to what you are asking. I hope this helps some though.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:39:20 PM EDT
[#2]
The stuff is good for blasting, it is re-loadable, but some if it is soft brass.   I've been coming across a lot of it lately when scrounging the firing lines, I drop most of it in the recycle bucket now.

Stuff went away back in the early 90's.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:59:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I've shot it.
Did 3200 fps out of a Bushy 16"
Accurate too boot.
May be mildly corrosive though.

Larry
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:51:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I had a case a long time ago. Still reload the cases. Haven't had any issues of soft brass,although I will admit they are lighter than LC. Great stuff! Blast away!
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:37:49 PM EDT
[#5]
There were some rumors of PRC 5.56 ammo being corrosive. May or may not be internet BS. Good price on the ammo; but, IMHO, clean scrupulously afterward to be on the safe side.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:55:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Rumour has it that the Norinco was armor piercing but I never actualy checked on any of the ammo I used to have.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:29:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I just bought 2000 rds of the Norinco .223 from another site. It was $245 / shipped for all of it. That is $2.00 a box, so I'm pretty happy with the price.  Cant wait til I get it. Picked up like 3-4 boxes of Norinco red/white boxs for $4.00 a piece at a local shop a few weeks ago .  I used to buy the yellow box .223 Norinco all the time in the early 90's when it was still available. I only had a Mini-14 at the time but it always shot real good with that ammo.  
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top