Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2003 12:14:30 AM EDT
Has anybody had any experience with the Norgon Ambi-Catch ambidextrous magazine release mechanism?

I’m left handed and looking for a solution for a problem that presented itself this weekend. Ejecting magazines while using a sling from a sitting or prone position. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Best regards, J
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 12:51:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Marine Force Recon has them on their M4s.

You dont get a much better endorsement than that.

Link Posted: 10/20/2003 5:00:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Just make sure they are correctly adjusted when installed.  I saw a brand new one on a carbine a few weeks ago that would not work.

It had just been installed by a fairly well-known 'smithing outfit.  They didn't bother to adjust it all after installing it.  Took the instructor about 30 seconds to fix it.....
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 5:14:57 AM EDT
[#3]
A great compromise of desigh and operational requirements.  Being left-handed, I find its a perfect fit/reach with my trigger finger.  It also does not stick out so far as to be prone to unintentional mag drops as do some other "extended" aftermarket qizmo's.  The Norgon ain't one of them.  In fact, i'd call it pretty much "low profile."
Problem is, I hardly ever use it after 30+ years of (muscle memory) reaching up with my support hand (right hand) and pulling out the mag while depressing the magazine catch with my right thumb.
This is probably "standard operating procedure" for most lefty's.  This technique helps save mags as with it in your hand, you can pocket it easily vice droping in on the deck.
Also, I had an LE instructor once that made us practice throwing the withdrawn mag at the CQB target as a "distraction" in an effort to gain a half-second during our most vulnerable moment during a reload.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 8:53:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Got them on my AR 15 and Ar 10's. On the Ar 10 I had to relieve the inside edge a little because it contacted the mag body, also had to put one of those fiber fillers from a extractor spring in mine because the ar10 kick cause the mag to fall out a couple of times.

Only downside it that occasionally I hit the mag release when I'm trying to push the bolt release. More practice needed.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 9:37:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Dave, that throwing the mag thing seem pretty interesting. Did you happen to like the technique or not?
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 9:52:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I had an opportunity to try one out.  They worked fine, and are very well made - they look like they belong on the rifle.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 11:41:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Throwing the magazine?  That's not a very good distraction.  I suggest throwing the rifle!
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 12:04:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I got mine a few weeks ago and was really excited to try it out but, was a little disapointed with it afterwards.

The problmem I have with it was that once I put a loaded magazine in the rifle I couldn't eject the mag with the norgon and had to use the regular eject buttom.  It would eject fine with an unloaded mag or when the bolt was held open.  But, if you have even a couple of rounds in the mag and the bolt is forward there is so much downward pressure  on the magazine's catch slot that useing the norgon with my left and weaker hand is very diffacult.  If there is a way I could correct this problem I would take back my only complaint about the norgon.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 12:24:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Only downside it that occasionally I hit the mag release when I'm trying to push the bolt release. More practice needed.
View Quote

Ditto, I need pratice, practice and more pratice...

I'm a lefty and mine works great, but it takes some getting use to.  I've also hit mine at a match when trying to hit the bolt release.  But I think it is a very useful addition once you get accustomed to it.

My only other complaint is that it is a bit pricey for what it is.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 1:39:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Also, I had an LE instructor once that made us practice throwing the withdrawn mag at the CQB target as a "distraction" in an effort to gain a half-second during our most vulnerable moment during a reload.
View Quote

Thats why God made 1911s [;)]
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 1:43:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

To throw while you're reloading your AR?
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 2:47:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Dave, that throwing the mag thing seem pretty interesting. Did you happen to like the technique or not?
View Quote

Ditto that question here.

In a CQB situation and running dry unexpectedly, I can see where that would definitely be an idea.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 2:54:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

To throw while you're reloading your AR?
View Quote

You'z a funny man [:P]
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 3:08:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I like the technique in select situations.  In an LE / CQB environment against one oponent, it might give you and edge.  Even if you have a "1911", why not toss its mag down the hall/into a room when its empty?  I mean, are you going to reload it like right now?
And if your oponent thinks every time you run dry, you toss the mag his way, what is he likely to do when you toss a dummy mag...step out or peak to take a shot as you nail him?

This reminds be of one of the best bar room moves I ever saw.  This little guy was being picked-on by this bigger guy.  When the little guy slid off his stool to make his stand, he reached over to the bar and threw a glass of ice tea (not his) at the big guy and screamed really loud "HOT STUFF".  The big guy balked for just a second.  This let the little guy inside his space and one two three, took the bully down.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 6:00:18 PM EDT
[#15]
How did the sling get in the way JTR, I am curious what the specific problem was?  I am a lefty and use the standard release like coldblue mentioned, mag release with right hand thumb.  I use the charging handle to release the bolt (major motor skill) not the bolt catch (minor motor skill).  I reach under the rifle with my right hand and grab the charging handle, I have one of those "tactical" latches that works pretty well for me.  This process is a bit slower when compared to using the bolt catch, but it's a more sure thing under stress.  I have seen fellow students stuggle with fine motor skills in high stess drills.  I try to keep my left hand grip position in the same place and not move it around at all.  As far as unintentional mag drops, a tug on the mag must be incorporated in to the realoading process.  I have learned this from some very embarassing unintentional drops, all in a class environment thankfully.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 12:17:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
...reaching up with my support hand (right hand) and pulling out the mag while depressing the magazine catch with my right thumb.
View Quote

That’s exactly how I’ve always done it, and it’s worked great up until now.

I apologize, I did not fully explain my situation. I have started to shoot high power service rifle again. From the sitting or prone positions for rapid fire, I have a heavy leather sling strapped above my right bicep and a large funny looking mit on my right hand that is jammed between the handguard and sling right behind the front sling swivel. Removing my right hand from this position is not an option. I have to bring the weapon down ff my left shoulder, cant it, and reach over the top to eject the spent magazine. I believe being able to operate the weapon while it is still in my shoulder would be a big bonus.

I’ve been doing it the other way for so long that high power might be the only application for the Ambi-Catch.

Thanks for all the replies.

J
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 8:46:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Uh-oh, wouldn't an ambi-catch constitute an "external modification" of the rifle and therefore be illegal for service rifle competition?  You'd find yourself shooting a match rifle.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 11:24:48 AM EDT
[#18]

Didn’t even think of that [b]eswanson[/b], I’d better check it out first. I guess I figured with several shooters there using space guns a ambi mag release isn’t going to be n issue.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 7:46:34 PM EDT
[#19]
The Norgon Ambicatch is expensive (IMHO), but well made and it works.  Just follow the instructions to install.  I had to flip the RH mag release button 180 degrees to get a 1/2 thread change for the perfect fit.  No big deal.  Release works well but it does require some training to become part of your manual of arms, but that is part of the fun.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 10:33:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Are not the modifications internal in nature?
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 11:02:57 AM EDT
[#21]
By david100066:
I got mine a few weeks ago and was really excited to try it out but, was a little disapointed with it afterwards.

The problmem I have with it was that once I put a loaded magazine in the rifle I couldn't eject the mag with the norgon and had to use the regular eject buttom. It would eject fine with an unloaded mag or when the bolt was held open. But, if you have even a couple of rounds in the mag and the bolt is forward there is so much downward pressure on the magazine's catch slot that useing the norgon with my left and weaker hand is very diffacult. If there is a way I could correct this problem I would take back my only complaint about the norgon.
View Quote

I just installed Norgon Ambi last night and noticed the same thing.  But in the end, I didn't let it bother me cause I figured if there are rounds in the mag a tactical reload would be necessary and therefore I would use my right hand to take the mag out of the receiver and retain it.  The Norgon would only be used when the gun is dry and I can then grab the fresh mag while dumping the dry mag to the deck.

Sly
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top