Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2007 10:00:56 PM EDT
Ok, I have a decent amount of experience with guns and own a good amount of handguns, rifles shotguns etc. I have yet to purchase an "evil black rifle" and the time has arrived. hing
Anyway, I'm looking to spend around $1200 (give or take) on a gun (not including optics or accessories). Since this will be my first AR I want something out of the box and have no interest in building one as I want something reliable (hey, I'm not the most mechanical person) and a warranty for at least the first year would be nice.

I've been told to look at Bushmaster and also RRA and Stag. I would prefer not waiting 6 months for a gun as I may be traveling West to do some target shooting in fall or winter. I only mention this as some posts I've seen mention very long build times for some models.

As far as use, this gun will be for target shooting and self-defense. I also plan to take some defensive AR15 classes locally. As far as self-defense goes, realistically if someone was threatening my life in my home I would use a handgun or shotgun. I could only see myself using an AR defensively in a total SHTF situation. But then again...prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

I've also been looking at "alternative" setups like the Sig556 or the XCR etc. No idea if those would be better...

Anyway...I think I've summed up what I'm looking for and I'm more confused than ever. If anyone could toss out some manufacturers/models I should look at in my search I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Link Posted: 8/12/2007 10:25:40 PM EDT
[#1]
For your first one I would suggest a BUSHMASTER 16" A3 type.  Those go for around $800-$1000 NIB.  The A3 is good since you can remove the carry handle and add optic the easy way.  The 16" is good since it should shoot most any ammo OK and also be semi small and light.

BUSHMASTER
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 10:29:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I would suggest contacting a couple of the board vendors, find one you like and have him walk you through a rifle with appropiate accessories.  All of the vendors here are carrying equally good brands.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 10:32:13 PM EDT
[#3]
+1 for Bushmaster A3 16"
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 10:32:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Colt 6920. It may run slightly more, and they can be hard to find, but its the finest M4 type weapon currently produced.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 10:38:58 PM EDT
[#5]
LMT LMT LMT LMT LMT LMT LMT LMT LMT LMT LMT

Did I mention LMT?
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 11:36:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Rock River Arms has a lifetime warranty.  I am enjoying my Entry Tac very much.  Bushmaster Modular Carbine is next on my buy list of AR variants.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:00:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:05:29 AM EDT
[#8]
this might help...i'd stick w/ the ABCDRS, LMT

Stag, RRA, and the SW MP15T are the best bangs for the buck overall

i'd stick w/ the AR system: more parts, service, stuff, etc than the other 2 newbies

welcome to the site
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 2:11:21 AM EDT
[#9]
I spent months reading this site before I bought my first AR and I went with the RRA Entry Tactical.  It was the flavor of the months back then.  I am very pleased with it and would not hesitate to buy another RRA rifle.  I highly recommend it.  There are numerous other quality options out there too, some have already been mentioned in this thread.  Take a look at CMMG too.

ETA:  You said you didn't want to build and I understand that as I didn't with my first either.  However take a look at buying a complete upper and a complete lower and pushing the pins together.  Can save a few dollars that way.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 3:41:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Now, I myself would recommend an ArmaLite.

They also have a lifetime warranty, and have the most recent model out on the market too.

Here it is

pat
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:13:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Stag
RRA
LMT
Colt
Bushmaster
etc.
Not in any particular order. 16" M-4 design or similar set up and add what you wish as tiem and $ permit.
welcome to the sickness Its all over now!
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:54:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Look up Legal Transfers on here and he can get you a real good RRA for an unbeatable price. A RRA will do geat for you.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 6:34:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Colt 6920 - as said will carry a higher premium (i have seen them sell for $1150 around my way), but they will be made IAW the military's TDP, and they will work 100% out of the box

LMT - i still don't think you can buy a complete LMT rifle, however you can buy the complete lower and a complete upper and have a great rifle. I have an LMT defender lower and it has the nicest factory trigger i've ever used. Their chromelined barrels are surprisingly accurate. (approx $1100 [complete lower, upper, bolt carrier, rear sights] some assembly required)

Stag - i like my Stag kit guns, they are great beater rifles, lots of good features, low price tag. ($700-800)

I don't like the current model bushmasters, i've seen a lot of problems with them, and i think their QC is way off for a $1000 rifle.

Rock river arms bothers me with their silly marketing schemes:
ELITE TACTICAL ENTRY - WTF does that even mean?
Chrome lining is not standard it is an option, i don't think they even offer 1/7 barrel twists (which is nice if you plan on shooting 75/77gr bullets). Aside from that, i've shot RRA and they make a nice rifle.

Since you are looking to spend $1200, you can afford the best factory AR's on the market, stay away from any of the kit guns (M1S, Delton) and the low grade bargain AR's (Bushmaster Carbon 15, Olympic Plinker Plus).
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 6:45:34 AM EDT
[#14]
I thought he was including optics in that as well, now that I see he is not I agree. I would look at Colt, LMT, Armalite, CMMG. RRA is good if you are on a bdget but that is about it I think. Bushmaster, I wouldn't even consider any more besides for their barrels. $1200.00 will get a nice rifle.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 7:24:09 AM EDT
[#15]
IMHO-

I own a couple of RRA SS middy's and both of them are excellent, but my post-ban
el-cheapo non-chrome lined, cast DPMS is my most accurate, and has never failed.

My point is, an expensive rifle is usually better, but one half the price will probably
serve your needs.

Just my .02

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 7:27:21 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
IMHO-

I own a couple of RRA SS middy's and both of them are excellent, but my post-ban
el-cheapo non-chromed lined, cast DPMS is my most accurate, and has never failed.

My point is, an expensive rifle is usually better, but one half the price will probably
serve your needs.

Just my .02

While this does happen I think it is more the exception rather than the rule, so if you have the money to spend on something good, then do it, dont half ass it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 7:47:20 AM EDT
[#17]
height=8
While this does happen I think it is more the exception rather than the rule, so if you have the money to spend on something good, then do it, dont half ass it.

I agree- if you are going to spend all $1200, on one rifle it should be a Colt,LMT,RRA or other top manufactuer.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top