Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/19/2005 12:31:34 PM EDT
I just brought home my first AR15 and am totally ecstatic. The rear take down pin pushed out just fine with finger pressure however, the front take down pin won't budge. I removed the screw on the left side of the pin and then pushed, no good. Gave it a few raps with a punch and hammer and got it to move a few hairs. Before a smack on this thing anymore, is this tightness normal? Is there something I'm missing? I put together a stripped bushmaster lower for my dad a few years ago and don't remember needing such force on any of the pins....
TIA
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:33:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ajw45:
I just brought home my first AR15 and am totally ecstatic. The rear take down pin pushed out just fine with finger pressure however, the front take down pin won't budge. I removed the screw on the left side of the pin and then pushed, no good. Gave it a few raps with a punch and hammer and got it to move a few hairs. Before a smack on this thing anymore, is this tightness normal? Is there something I'm missing? I put together a stripped bushmaster lower for my dad a few years ago and don't remember needing such force on any of the pins....
TIA

Screw? Is this a colt? Are they STILL putting screws in the pivot pin?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:05:27 PM EDT
Yup! Colt pre-ban 6520.... I'm behind enemy lines in Massachusetts..... There's a set screw on the left side of the pin and the right side is smooth topped. The lower has raised fence and pivot pin retaining detent....
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:21:32 PM EDT
I got a new DPMS over the summer. Mine was tight, but not tight like yours is. I would say once you get it out, lube it REALLY well, perhaps with something thicker than just CLP, and work it back and forth a bunch of times. Aside from the screwy screw, there shouldnt be holding it in besides a bit too much friction. Pop it out as gently as you can manage and then work it in and out. This is the kind of thing to do over a few evenings while watching TV. Eventually it'll wear it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:48:26 AM EDT
Sorry to bring an old post back to the top, but thought I would just reply to this one. My RRA 9mm is my first AR and I thought I would give it a quick cleaning while reading through the tutorials on this board. First thing I come to is that the rear takedown pin is harder than hell to get out. I tried pushing it with my fingers and no go. Then I tried the tip of a cartridge...and no go again. Finally I got a hexed head screwdriver and covered the end of it with electrical tape and finally it pushed through. After all this I lost my energy to clean this thing because I was afraid this may not be normal. I think I will just push this pin back in and close it up. It is harder to push back through than it was to push it out. After a few wacks from the butt end of the screwdriver I got in back into place. Are these things suppose to be this friggin tight?

Blaker
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:53:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By masterblaker:
Are these things suppose to be this friggin tight?

No - but sometimes they are.

You can determine if it is tight with the upper detatched first - if so - work on the detent and spring.

If it is not tight until the upper is attached - just leave it alone - it will get looser.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:58:21 AM EDT
Okay, thanks for the quick response! I just took it back apart and it went easier than time. The pin is easy to push through when the upper is not attached. Thank You.

Blaker
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:21:25 AM EDT
My Colt has the same type of screw for the front pivot pin. Mine is almost 10years old however. Anyway, can a do it yourselfer drill the hole required to install the spring and detent required to put in a pushpin like it should. Has anyone done it? Or, is this best left up to a gunsmith. Obviously not a critical item and I don't want to ruin the lower, but if it can be done, it would be nice.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:52:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MinnJarhead:
My Colt has the same type of screw for the front pivot pin. Mine is almost 10years old however. Anyway, can a do it yourselfer drill the hole required to install the spring and detent required to put in a pushpin like it should. Has anyone done it? Or, is this best left up to a gunsmith. Obviously not a critical item and I don't want to ruin the lower, but if it can be done, it would be nice.

I do almost everything myself... and I would probably pay someone who has done this many many time to do it for me.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:06:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MinnJarhead:

I wouldn't touch it. Actually, I would be careful about what gunsmith I would have do it as well. I know that SAW provides that service, but I'm unsure what the cost is. I'm thinking that ADCO might do that as well.
Top Top