Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 7/20/2008 5:02:57 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/20/2008 5:25:37 AM EST by Robanna]
Hi everyone,

This is my first post and I'm a complete noob to ARs. I spent a lot of time at the sigforum under the same name. :)

I have decided I want to get into the AR world and am starting a project for a dedicated 22lr. My decision to focus on 22lr is based on 1) my local range only allows 22 rimfire rifles (lame, I know), and 2) this will be a cost-effective choice that will get me into a quality AR for plinking.

I was about to purchase a GSG, but decided that I'd like a platform that I can adapt to 223 or 5.56 at a later date with a proper upper; hence, this is a long-term project. Also, I live in NJ, so I'm just trying to get in the game before any potential bans come into play come January. Here are some limits: I need a 16" barrel, can't have flash suppressor, front grip, retractable stock, or real can. I think I can still make a pretty cool gun.

It's pretty basic, but I can add toys later. Here is what I'm thinking. I would really welcome any feedback you all may have:

- Spikes 22 upper with lightweight rails
- CMMG lower
- DPMS lower controls
- Skeleton butt stock

One thing I don't fully understand is that on Spikes website, there is an option for a YHM or Stag gas block. I thought dirty rimfire fouled these up. Is it worth getting this?

Will all of these parts work seamlessly together? Am I leaving some important consideration out? Thanks in advance. I look forward to sharing information with you all--once I have some that is :)

Rob
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:49:00 AM EST

Originally Posted By Robanna:
One thing I don't fully understand is that on Spikes website, there is an option for a YHM or Stag gas block. I thought dirty rimfire fouled these up. Is it worth getting this?

I'm pretty sure that spikes uses .22lr barrels, and they aren't drilled for a gas port.
This means that the gas blocks only act as a mounting point for a front sight. (or sling swivel, etc)

For your application, you need to decide what you want to use for a front sight, and then how you want to mount it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:54:53 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/21/2008 6:55:22 AM EST by Robanna]
Thanks JR, that helps clear up some confusion for me. I appreciate that.

Any feedback on whether this would be a good build? Suggestions for making it better?

I think I'll call Spikes today to see about the upper and what they suggest for front site.

Rob
Top Top