Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 9/17/2009 6:04:11 PM EST
Hi Guys,

Im pretty new to the forum, but have been reading for awhile. I might be in the wrong place for this question- but I also wanted to introduce myself.

Like most of you, I bought my first AR15 ealrier this year- now I caught the bug. I think I got a really good deal and a super nice AR starter gun. I got a Smith & Wesson MP15 T at a gun show here in Florida. I have been shooting it as much as I can (not so much the past month). After buying my first AR15 I decide I wanted to try to build one.

As of right now I have a Spikes Tactical complete lower- FYI I got the punisher logo engraved on the lower- it looks awesome. The Spikes Lowers come with bullet pictos- the lower is super sharp and looks awesome; I got a REALLY good deal on the lower, so good I also bought another stripped lower the same time I picked up the complete lower. On a side note- is anyone familiar with Spikes Tactical- if so what do you guys think of their products?

So to my build question. I am kinda shopping around for a upper or parts for my complete Spikes lower. I was wondering if you guys could give me some recommendations- and give me some advice. My main question is- I want to build a shorter barrel version AR. I was thinking about 7.5in or 10.5in. Can I legally build an AR with either one of those barrels? I am about 85% sure I want to go with the 10.5in. In Florida can I do this build with that barrel and still stay legal? For general knowledge could I build a 7.5in version legally in FL? Are these consider SBR with the 10.5? Would someone mind filling an uneducated noob on this matter? If using a 10.5 is going to be too much trouble than what its worth, I'll just go with the standard 16in barrel.

My second question is: I have very limited gun/AR15 build knowledge- I am trying to decide if I should buy a complete 10.5in upper or should I buy in pieces and put together myself? My main question is can a amateur build an upper- mainly how hard is it to attach a barrel to the upper- could a novice do it or would a gun smith have to? What about rails- how hard are they to put on?

Here is my idea for AR I want to build:

Spikes Tactical lower (I have)
VLTOR or Magpul CTR stock
10.5in barrel
Noveske KX2 flash suppressor
Spikes Tactical BCG

I have no idea on what rails I want- my mp15T comes with Troy Ind. rails and I really like them- but I don't have much knowledge on other brands- any recommendation? Could someone also recommend a good upper for what I am trying to build? Money is tight right now, so I am trying to build a AR to get the best bang for the buck. If it isn't to much hassle who makes a reasonable price 10.5 upper?

Thanks for bearing with me and my ignorance- thats why I am here to ask the pros- Any info on my questions above would be awesome and very much appreciated. Im sorry for the long post- just trying to get all the questions I have in at once. THANK YOU!

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:09:14 PM EST
Originally Posted By youngunner:
Hi Guys,

Im pretty new to the forum, but have been reading for awhile. I might be in the wrong place for this question- but I also wanted to introduce myself.

Like most of you, I bought my first AR15 ealrier this year- now I caught the bug. I think I got a really good deal and a super nice AR starter gun. I got a Smith & Wesson MP15 T at a gun show here in Florida. I have been shooting it as much as I can (not so much the past month). After buying my first AR15 I decide I wanted to try to build one.

As of right now I have a Spikes Tactical complete lower- FYI I got the punisher logo engraved on the lower- it looks awesome. The Spikes Lowers come with bullet pictos- the lower is super sharp and looks awesome; I got a REALLY good deal on the lower, so good I also bought another stripped lower the same time I picked up the complete lower. On a side note- is anyone familiar with Spikes Tactical- if so what do you guys think of their products?

So to my build question. I am kinda shopping around for a upper or parts for my complete Spikes lower. I was wondering if you guys could give me some recommendations- and give me some advice. My main question is- I want to build a shorter barrel version AR. I was thinking about 7.5in or 10.5in. Can I legally build an AR with either one of those barrels? I am about 85% sure I want to go with the 10.5in. In Florida can I do this build with that barrel and still stay legal? For general knowledge could I build a 7.5in version legally in FL? Are these consider SBR with the 10.5? Would someone mind filling an uneducated noob on this matter? If using a 10.5 is going to be too much trouble than what its worth, I'll just go with the standard 16in barrel.

My second question is: I have very limited gun/AR15 build knowledge- I am trying to decide if I should buy a complete 10.5in upper or should I buy in pieces and put together myself? My main question is can a amateur build an upper- mainly how hard is it to attach a barrel to the upper- could a novice do it or would a gun smith have to? What about rails- how hard are they to put on?

Here is my idea for AR I want to build:

Spikes Tactical lower (I have)
VLTOR or Magpul CTR stock
10.5in barrel
Noveske KX2 flash suppressor
Spikes Tactical BCG

I have no idea on what rails I want- my mp15T comes with Troy Ind. rails and I really like them- but I don't have much knowledge on other brands- any recommendation? Could someone also recommend a good upper for what I am trying to build? Money is tight right now, so I am trying to build a AR to get the best bang for the buck. If it isn't to much hassle who makes a reasonable price 10.5 upper?

Thanks for bearing with me and my ignorance- thats why I am here to ask the pros- Any info on my questions above would be awesome and very much appreciated. Im sorry for the long post- just trying to get all the questions I have in at once. THANK YOU!

Check your HTF..(.home town forums) for the laws on short barreled rifles...hometown forums is up there next to outdoors forms and industry forums. best place for your answers.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:12:24 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2009 6:14:31 PM EST by Forest]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:15:20 PM EST
Ah- Thanks- I will head over there and find out the rules- but aside from the rules/laws-

do you have any recommendations for a 10.5 upper- can a novice can build a complete upper- or at least could I attach a barrel on my own regardless of what size? Or should I just buy a pre-built upper?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:17:46 PM EST
Anything shorter than 16" is an NFA weapon and is illegal to own without the proper tax stamp and documentation. Sucks huh? Spikes makes great stuff. Check out Bravo Company Mfg. they are a site sponsor and great guys. If you have any questions for them look them up in the industry forum and Paul will gladly help you.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:33:44 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:14:08 PM EST
Welcome and I have spent most of the summer doing some of the same research. As somebody else said already any rifle barrel under 16" for the most part is a NFA item and needs a $200 tax stamp and a long wait time. I suggest you read up on the class 3 sections in the Armory. If you decide to go the NFA way..which can be fun...get the tax stamp on a lower and not an upper. That way you can buy diff lowers under 16" on one tax stamp(for the most part). The companys I find myself checking out repeatedly are ADCO, Bravo, and Spikes. I will check just about any but these three are the ones I check the most. I also look at denny's and PK firearms a lot. I'm looking at ADCO and Spikes for my 10.5 9mm complete upper buy but want to build my own Mk12 type upper build. As far as what is cheaper that is something you have to decide yourself. Buying a complete rifle/upper is almost always cheaper then building one yourself but doing it your self then you decide what parts you want. So if you want your upper to be what you want to your taste then build...if you can live with almost "the perfect" upper then buy complete.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:38:02 AM EST
Installing a barrel onto an upper receiver isn't hard. You basically just need a barrel wrench (or whatever your particular handguards require) to install the barrel nut, a good desk-mounted clamp, and a receiver block (so you can fit the receiver into the clamp), a punch (to remove the gas tube from the front sight base), and a pair of pliers (to install the gas tube into the front sight base).

I did it before, and as an AR15 noob, I found it relatively easy.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:53:14 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/18/2009 3:58:21 AM EST by evlblkwpnz]
double post, sorry
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:57:18 AM EST
Originally Posted By evlblkwpnz:
Originally Posted By Iram:
Installing a barrel onto an upper receiver isn't hard. You basically just need a barrel wrench (or whatever your particular handguards require) to install the barrel nut, a good desk-mounted clamp, and a receiver block (so you can fit the receiver into the clamp), a punch (to remove the gas tube from the front sight base), and a pair of pliers (to install the gas tube into the front sight base).

+1+:
A decent torque wrench is necessary to install the barrel "properly". I use one made by Pittsburg Tools and it works great.... didn't break the bank either. Apply some lube to the threads and the inside of the upper reciever where the barrel extension slides in. I use Valvoline Multi-Purpose red wheel bearing grease and have never had any problems. Good luck. You can do it! BTW Vise grips with electrical tape on the jaws work great for removing/intalling gas tubes and it doesn't marr the tube. You can build lowers with them too.

I have only heard good things about ADCO barrels. I may give them a try if I do an SBR as it seems like Noveske and Centurion availability is going to be a factor.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:08:25 PM EST
Originally Posted By Iram:

+1+:
A decent torque wrench is necessary to install the barrel "properly". I use one made by Pittsburg Tools and it works great.... didn't break the bank either. Apply some lube to the threads and the inside of the upper reciever where the barrel extension slides in. I use Valvoline Multi-Purpose red wheel bearing grease and have never had any problems. Good luck. You can do it! BTW Vise grips with electrical tape on the jaws work great for removing/intalling gas tubes and it doesn't marr the tube. You can build lowers with them too.

I have only heard good things about ADCO barrels. I may give them a try if I do an SBR as it seems like Noveske and Centurion availability is going to be a factor.

I didn't bother with a torque wrench, and it has been working fine. Still, can you provide a link to the torque wrench you used? I could always use an excuse to buy more tools.
Top Top