Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/1/2003 12:43:24 AM EDT
Well, I'm 19 and I've bought my first AR a couple months ago. It's pretty much classic style. Bushmaster XM-15 E2S (20"). Yes I know I overpaid, ($960) what was I thinking but we all make mistakes. Anyway I want to start accessorizing lol, but don't know where to start. I want everything but my budget doesn't allow. Could you guys post some pics of what you've done to yours? Aslo wheres a good spot to find Harris bipods cheap?
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 7:22:37 AM EDT
Depends on what you want to use it for. For precision shooting, I would suggest a match type trigger. Kinda pricy at 200 bucks or so, but you can use this on any AR you buy in the future. I would also buy a top grade leather sling and learn how to use it. Next time your high power club gets together for a match, drop on by and chatter and ask them. You can check out their equipment for yourself. I've noticed a few AR based match rifles, and what they do is *really* interesting.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 9:06:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/1/2003 9:07:12 AM EDT by 82_Airborne]
Using the weapon to target shoot and plink so far. I'm starting to reload for it to. In case of shtf emergencies this is my go to guy as well. I know I want a bipod, new sling, quality scope (leupold preferable VXII mil dot 3-9 but they're so expensive for my budget). Also I want a new grip, like the one on the front home page of www.cmmginc.com, whatever brand that is I'm not sure. Some cool tac gear that would hold a bunch of 30's too. A lead butt weight for target shooting would be nice too. I know what things I want just not the brands and where to find them at good prices.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 9:38:24 AM EDT
I get tired of figuring out how to post pictures. I would shoot your rifle just the way it is for a couple of months or year. Then you might find something about what type of shooting you like to do and won't waste a lot of money on all the gimicky stuff like what I have strewn all over my basement. Harris bipods are the cheapest I've seen at Ron Shirk Shooting Supplies Inc. (717) 272-3576 or (717) 272-5671, 104 Golf Rd., Lebanon, PA 17046-9209. IA2BR-$48.95. IA2BRS-$68.95. See ads in Shotgun News.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 11:04:45 AM EDT
Aimpoint ML2 on a gooseneck mount. That should keep you busy for a few months. www.midwayusa.com is a good place to get Harris bipods without overpaying.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 12:59:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/1/2003 1:00:02 PM EDT by cgebhard]
Just my 2 cents, but you might want to check out Bushnell Elite scopes (was bausch and lomb)they aren't cheap but I think they are cheaper than the leupold your looking at. I got the older style Bausch and Lomb for under a $100 on Ebay, they still have a lifetime warranty. You can check around on some of the shooting/scope site the Elites are held in high reguard.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 1:52:29 PM EDT
Don't laugh... but I've had good luck with Tasco optics...
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 2:42:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/1/2003 2:57:16 PM EDT by Fenian]
For optics, if you're considering the VariX III, look at the Weaver Grand Slam..they guys as SWFA really like 'em. I've got one, and I really like it. I'm debating now whether to yank that off my .22-250 to put on the new DPMS 308LR I'm getting...if I don't do that, I'll probably snag the Simmons Aetec of the 16" rifle I've got it on...it's already on the ARMS #22, so it's good to go. The Weaver GS in that magnification will be about 100 bucks cheaper than the Leupold, and I don't think you'll be giving up anything in terms of quality. Other accessories might be a different stock, a red dot to go with the scope, quick detach mounts for everything...rail systems....how fat is your bank account [:D]. This is where it gets bad hehehe....accessories! I've pimped this one out pretty good now...ALMOST finished: [img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/188491/almostdone.jpg[/img] Of course, I still need to get the ARMS mount for the bipod, the light, the Aimpoint, but that's only another $300 or so lol.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 4:04:45 PM EDT
Not to rain on your parade, but why don't you buy ammo and learn to shoot it instead of spending money you might not have festooning it with gadgets? Cheers!
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 4:11:32 PM EDT
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid62/p656e6e756b9aad26ed1d353e81869dfe/fc23385e.jpg[/img] ya cant forget about the proper FINISH for your AR..lol...
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 5:02:14 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Him: Not to rain on your parade, but why don't you buy ammo and learn to shoot it instead of spending money you might not have festooning it with gadgets? Cheers!
View Quote
Kind of like asking my wife, "why don't you wear those shoes out before you buy a new pair?" Half the fun of the AR-15 is all the STUFF you can put on it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 6:16:49 PM EDT
Yes...festooning is FUN!!
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 5:13:57 AM EDT
In response to not buying gadgets and spending money on ammo to learn to shoot. Yes this is the first rifle I've personally purchased. This is not to say that I haven't been shooting since I was six. Yes dad has quite an aresenol. But it's time to start my own. In addition I picked up two cases from Bass Pro so a have about 2.5K of ammo now. (Early whoring stages)
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 6:34:39 AM EDT
Fenian, Errrr, did you realize the tip of your gun is undecorated? What, no compensator? lol Looks like your bolt releasy thingy is stock also ... EGAD
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 8:19:03 AM EDT
i think the grip you mentioned is a fobus G27. i bought one and i love it. its an easy and cheap mod you can do. some other gadgets you might consider is an under rail adapter (or a ras, if funds permit) and a vertical grip. i just got a surefire G2 light and a barrel mount adapter for mine i really like it. i got the light from ADCO. my next upgrade will be an ML2 aimpoint and a cantilever mount. (in the distant future) [url]http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/detailfs?userid={2394B0ED-2626-4BC0-AD60-2C3B6046F572}&ndx=0&slideshow=0&AlbumId={25690A7F-1720-4B3F-9F16-2E60327BC1E3}&GroupId=&screenheight=864[/url]
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 8:26:42 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Him: Not to rain on your parade, but why don't you buy ammo and learn to shoot it instead of spending money you might not have festooning it with gadgets?
View Quote
Hey, 82_Airborne! Don't listen to these guys - they don't know what they're talking about! You can [b]never[/b] have too many accessories!! [img]http://www.mindspring.com/~kmeans/ARFcom/swissarmygun.jpg[/img] Oh, crap I forgot to get a bayonet!! [:P]
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 8:28:40 AM EDT
Hey 82_Airborn, I bought my first of three AR's back in Nov. '02. Within 3 months it was an M4gery that looked like I drug it through the Equipment Exchange with a crap magnet. This was before I even shot it. Now I'm waiting on my Form 1 to build an SBR on another lower, and I'm working on a USMC A4gery. Spend sometime on the Equipment Exchange, you'll figure it out. The only problem I've had so far is that I'd rather buy accessories than socks, underwear or shoes.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 3:07:46 PM EDT
Originally Posted By benbob: Don't laugh... but I've had good luck with Tasco optics...
View Quote
me too
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 8:19:24 PM EDT
Originally Posted By kdmoore: Fenian, Errrr, did you realize the tip of your gun is undecorated? What, no compensator? lol Looks like your bolt releasy thingy is stock also ... EGAD
View Quote
Don't tempt me hehehe. Actually, that's my Swiss Army Rifle...all that stuff stays in a bag, then if I need to take a rifle that will do a couple of different things, I'll just grab it and go. Not for SHTF, but just to have a jack of all trades kinda rifle. Of course, it might come in handy for that too.
Top Top