Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/7/2003 5:36:56 PM EDT
Does anyone have first hand experience on how much louder it is with a muzzle brake (mini-y comp) on XM15 M4 versus one w/o.

thanks
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 6:56:44 PM EDT
[#1]
well i havnt shot one without a comp. but on my 14.5 barrel putting a kkf a3 comp on it didnt help with the noise only the blast sent back at me. but i think that not having one would only make you think that it was not as loud because the blast goes forward and not being redirected
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 8:08:23 AM EDT
[#2]
A comp will not make your rifle louder, it will only re-direct the report back at 45 degrees or so and hit you and the people on either side of you more than if there were no comp installed.
As far as firsthand experience goes ?
I have a mini-y comp on one of my 16” rigs. It makes a NOTICEABLE difference esp for those shooting or standing to my left or right. I have it because it was on the rig when I bought it. I don’t think I would add one. There IS a difference in recoil and climb, but if you are someone who is having trouble with that with a .223 then you need to get out to the gym or something..
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:01:56 AM EDT
[#3]
A mini-Y comp on a M4 vs what other brake?  An M4 barrel (14.5") needs to have a sufficiently long brake installed otherwise you'll need a $200 tax stamp for a SBR.

Now a M4 barrel with the following devices I have experience with:
- Mini-Y Comp ([b]LOUDEST!!![/b])
- AK Brake (Loud if you're to the side of it)
- KKF A3 Tac Brake (not as loud as the AK - again you have to be directly to the side of the brake to notice it)
- Fake FS (this is like a 16" barrel - its loud, but not as bad as any of the brakes).
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:04:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I should note I'd never shoot any of the above options w/o hearing protection.

Even the 20" ARs are bit loud (but not as bad as the 16" ones).

If you want a muzzle brake with minimal noise to the sides then either get a KKF Fake Flash Supressor (looks only) or his Limiter brake (looks and some recoil reduction - but the noise is directed down range).
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:10:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I put the SOG brake on my Bushy 16".  The only reason I did it was to protect the crown on the barrel.  It made the gun A LOT LOUDER.  Before I could shoot it without hearing protection, but now I have to have use muffs.   I drilled indentations into the barrel where the set screws go and used red locktite and the brake hasn't moved an inch.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:13:37 AM EDT
[#6]
In a very basic summation of the above...

Yes.  It's much louder with a brake than without.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 1:23:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Also, keep in mind that some post-ban "muzzle brakes" suuch as the one on my Rock River are actually not muzzle brakes at all.  Mine looks like the A2 flash hider but the ports are entirely covered.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 1:51:59 PM EDT
[#8]
im looking into gettin a brake for my post ban.  what are my options?
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 2:20:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Out of curiosity I fired my Bushy M4gery Y comp without my hearing protection on. Once. Only once. I was standing under the tin roof at the range at the time. My ears rang for a couple of hours...
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 2:59:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Personally, I'll never put a brake on any of my AR15's.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 3:08:39 PM EDT
[#11]
i have a Smith break on my 20" barrel.  after a couple of mags the rear blast actually starts to hurt my sinus's.  i could just be weird, though.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 3:16:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Here is a dumb ass question:
Since flash supressors are only legal for pre-bans, are there any muzzel brakes that reduce recoil and muzzel rise AND reduce muzzel flash like a preban flash supressor?
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 3:27:08 PM EDT
[#13]
There has always been a big deal made about the mini-y. I dont think its that bad. There is some percussion but not enough to make it less fun. Oh, strick, iI think any device that supresses flash is a flash supressor.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 4:32:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I think most of the griping over the miniYcomp is the concept of shooting without ear protection - scary.

But unless the apocalypse comes tomorrow, I don't see anyone ever shooting without ear protection, unless you're already deaf, or just plain dumb.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 4:47:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes mini-y's are loud.  They also work very well for their intended purpose.  I routinely shoot a mini-y tipped M4 and a 24" naked AR side by side at an indoor range.  The difference in sound is tremendous.  I don't have a db meter to actually quantify the difference, but the short barrel with mini-y is at least twice as loud. Always wear double hearing protection when you shoot, WHATEVER you shoot!!

DILBERT_556
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top