Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/16/2006 6:24:08 PM EDT
I've decided to switch all my AR stocks to OD Grren or Flat Dark Earth.

It just makes sense. The original AR stocks were Black, but painted Green. Most primitive plastics of that era were Brown or Black; one can see why the inherently conservative military mind would like the Brown color; after all, rifle stocks, being wood, had been that color for hundreds of years. The first M-16s had Green stocks, but green would have been too jarring a transition to the modern age, even if was better for field cammo; anyway, the Green paint was not really durable. So, the M-16 stocks were left in Black, which was a dye injected as part of the fiberglassing proccess. And so almost all of the modern rifles that followed the M-16 also had Black stocks; it is interesting to speculate what would have happened if the M-16 had been accepted into service with Green furniture. Would the other rifles have had Black stocks anyway, or would they have followed the leader and gone Green as well?

There is no excuse for that nowadays, since we can make plastic in any color we want. The first rifle to go into mass production in Green was the AUG, though the G-3 had been made in some numbers with optional Green furniture. Steyr also made the AUG in Tan for the Arabs. More recently the Canadians have gone Green, retrofitting their M-16s with Green stocks. And now our Army has specified that the new SCAR can NOT have Black as a major color.

Since I have been born the only constant is change change change...we are engaged in a real conflict in places all over the globe; Black may have sufficed for the do-nothing garrison army of the 1970s, but the World has changed.

I have been shooting ARs for over 20 years now, and I have decided to cast tradition aside and let the Black stocks go. Now is the time for Optics, short barrel rifles and telestocks...and stocks that are made of colors found in Nature. Yay!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:42:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Do what you must do. Just don't call it an Evil Earthtone Rifle. It just doesn't sound right
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:48:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Nah. "Homeland Defense Rifle" will do.

I have 5 so I might keep one Black for variety's sake though.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:21:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Do what you must do. Just don't call it an Evil Earthtone Rifle. It just doesn't sound right

Evil Flat Dark Earth Rifle?

TS
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:40:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I have an OD green sling on my A-1. It wasn't easy to get used to. I like it now.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:46:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a 20" with OD Furniture and a OD sling, If I had the extra cash I would have it done up in OD Moly Resin
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:42:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

My thoughts too.  EER sounds too metro.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:58:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Are you saying that you no longer have the black rifle disease?

The earthtone rifle disease does somehow sound appropriate, for diseased minds.  h
or

"Failure is not an option, it's a feature."
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:13:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I've decided to switch all my AR stocks to OD Grren or Flat Dark Earth.

It just makes sense. The original AR stocks were Black, but painted Green. Most primitive plastics of that era were Brown or Black; one can see why the inherently conservative military mind would like the Brown color; after all, rifle stocks, being wood, had been that color for hundreds of years. The first M-16s had Green stocks, but green would have been too jarring a transition to the modern age, even if was better for field cammo; anyway, the Green paint was not really durable. So, the M-16 stocks were left in Black, which was a dye injected as part of the fiberglassing proccess. And so almost all of the modern rifles that followed the M-16 also had Black stocks; it is interesting to speculate what would have happened if the M-16 had been accepted into service with Green furniture. Would the other rifles have had Black stocks anyway, or would they have followed the leader and gone Green as well?

There is no excuse for that nowadays, since we can make plastic in any color we want. The first rifle to go into mass production in Green was the AUG, though the G-3 had been made in some numbers with optional Green furniture. Steyr also made the AUG in Tan for the Arabs. More recently the Canadians have gone Green, retrofitting their M-16s with Green stocks. And now our Army has specified that the new SCAR can NOT have Black as a major color.

Since I have been born the only constant is change change change...we are engaged in a real conflict in places all over the globe; Black may have sufficed for the do-nothing garrison army of the 1970s, but the World has changed.

I have been shooting ARs for over 20 years now, and I have decided to cast tradition aside and let the Black stocks go. Now is the time for Optics, short barrel rifles and telestocks...and stocks that are made of colors found in Nature. Yay!

I don't get all this anti black stuff.  Shadows, dark earth.  I could see maybe in the desert why, but I'm not there and black doesn't seem all that unearthy to me.  Of course I hardly ever where camo because I work in the city and deer hunt.  And deer hunting is done with blaze orange on.  Maybe I should paint mine blaze orange.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:25:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Damn right. That's why all of my rifles are known as Evil Pink Rifles...  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:28:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Color quandry:  black is too severe, green is not me, I know - Earthtone!!!!

I think you've been watching the Home Decorating channel a little too much lately.  Step away from the color charts and have a beer.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:33:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I got bored with

14.5" vs. 16"

Hbar vs. Superlightweight

Aimpoint vs. Eotech

Larue vs. Daniel Defense

Larue vs. ARMS

Larue vs. KAC

but nobody wants to play
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:21:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Sorry Ayeguy, I'll play.

Does this receiver go with these mags?  I don't think so either.  How about this charging handle?  Too Larue for the 200yd range?  Have you seen the new Hbar from BM?  Like butter I tell ya.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:31:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Good choice if you ask me.

My AR has OD green furniture.  If I build up another one it will be in FDE/coyote brown.

I also have an OD green AUG, and OD furniture for my HK91. I even ordered some OD green 1911 grips.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:11:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I'll stick with black. It's classy, has a "slimming" effect, and it's easy to find accessories that match.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:24:51 PM EDT
[#15]
And 'Basic Black' is still so 'in' with the after 11:00 crowd.  Hey, party down or highbrow; you can't go wrong with 'Basic Black'!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:45:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I only camo the furniture..some day Im gonna get brave enough to do a whole rifle.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:23:41 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I got bored with

14.5" vs. 16"

Hbar vs. Superlightweight

Aimpoint vs. Eotech

Larue vs. Daniel Defense

Larue vs. ARMS

Larue vs. KAC

but nobody wants to play

Easy:

14.5"
Superlightweight
EoTech
Daniel Defense
LaRue
KAC

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:35:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm working on my ECR

evil
camo
rifle
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:12:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:30:25 PM EDT
[#20]
It's not just for rifles anymore....

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:52:09 AM EDT
[#21]
BLACK IS BEAUTIFUL!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:00:52 AM EDT
[#22]
It's too bad Cav Arms stopped making their rifles in so many different colors.

Blue, red, gold (yellow), pink, etc.

I had such plans....
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:16:57 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
It's too bad Cav Arms stopped making their rifles in so many different colors.

Blue, red, gold (yellow), pink, etc.

I had such plans....

Managed to score a set after they discontinued them. Cost me more than I ever wanted to spend on colored furniture, but ya know what, my girlfriend is one happy lady

ETA:: I've since fixed the gap in the handguards by bending in the handguard cap
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:26:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Me like green:

BTW, the original Colt's AR-15 furniture was brown fiberglass painted green, here is a close up:

I like brown too:

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:31:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Excellent!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:00:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Yar!

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:07:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Well since we're on this.  I've been debating a tango down grip in OD but on Steves site they look more like "ELECTRIC" green than od.  Same with the handguards and those foregrip thingy's.  Does anyone got a picture in real life what they look like???  

P.S. don't tell anyone I'm thinking about changing colors.  Because I do like black.   But I have this old OD sling on mine that I got with my CMP garand and thought I might match a few things, or as like someone said "accessorize".

See what I mean?  Of course it's more like baby crap brown now due to being so old and probably used in vietnam or something. (yeah right)

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top