Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/25/2004 9:42:13 AM EST
Yesterday at the range, there was a guy w/ an Olympic AR about 2 lanes down. As I was plinking away, all I heard from his lane was "bam" .... a LONG wait ... "bam" .... repeat. Made me think that he's probably messing w/ the gun. Then this went on for a while.

As I sat down to reload my mags, I saw him messing w/ the charging handle, looking around the chamber and etc. I asked him, is there anything wrong? He told me that it kept on jamming. So, I checked the weapon, opened it and noticed that the inside was COMPLETELY dry. The bolt, carrier, handle, etc. Seems as if all the parts were NEVER lubricated AT ALL.

So I took everything apart, gave them a good wipe down, examed it, CLP, put it back together and it stopped jamming.

My question is ... what long term damage could've he caused by doing that? The kid was fairly young, I'd say 18-20 yrs old, probably tried to clean the gun w/ out any CLP.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:19:57 PM EST

So I took everything apart, gave them a good wipe down, examed it, CLP, put it back together and it stopped jamming.
Funny how they work like that. I doubt there would be any damage from the (I assume) limited firing he did. BTW, what range?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:39:44 PM EST

Originally Posted By Eric:

Funny how they work like that. I doubt there would be any damage from the (I assume) limited firing he did. BTW, what range?

Wades over in Bellevue. Thankfully he wasn't able to put more than 10 rounds through it, I mean this kid has messing w/ it for 10 minutes for every shot fired. Argh ... sometimes I wish they would just RTFM.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:11:59 PM EST
I shoot alot out in a Sandy, Windy Area. I never Lube.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:18:37 AM EST

Originally Posted By chaos4570:

You never had any cycling problems?

When I examed the bolt and pushed in the ejector it actually STAYED IN. I almost dropped and just started laughing. I was like .... eh ... it's supposed to be "SPRINGY" so that it can actually eject stuff.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:15:06 AM EST
Even in dusty conditions you should lube any gun! Metal to metal friction is not good and wears out the gun 100% faster!

If you lube right and only leave a thin layer of lube it will be fine and not collect grit. I live and shoot in very dusty, windy conditions and I never have a problem with my guns jaming from having oil in them and collecting sand and dust.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:33:43 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:43:56 PM EST

Originally Posted By M4Kid:

When I examed the bolt and pushed in the ejector it actually STAYED IN. I almost dropped and just started laughing. I was like .... eh ... it's supposed to be "SPRINGY" so that it can actually eject stuff.

Sounds like it was not only dry, But Dirty also!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:42:26 AM EST

Originally Posted By garr:

Sounds like it was not only dry, But Dirty also!

This statement can be taken so many different ways.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:07:45 AM EST

Yesterday at the range, there was a guy w/ an Olympic AR about 2 lanes down. As I was plinking away, all I heard from his lane was "bam" .... a LONG wait ... "bam" .... repeat. Made me think that he's probably messing w/ the gun. Then this went on for a while.

Until I saw you were from WA, I'd have sworn we were at the same range. Saw the same thing here. Poor guy got alot more "help" from the range master than a guy could ever want, including a sales pitch.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:14:21 AM EST

Originally Posted By ghengiskhabb:
Until I saw you were from WA

Doh, sorry, I was playing w/ my profile yesterday trying to figure out how to put an avatar under my name or a signature. I think you have to be a paying member for that.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:18:25 AM EST
I NEVER lubricate hunting firearms. Old habit from sitting in a sub-arctic treestand waiting for bambi to show his flank.

Lubrication is about a controversial topic in firearms, methinks, as which is better, 9mm or .45ACP.

I tend to listen to Rob Lethams advice on a target gun, "I want the lube oozing out of the gun.".

Hell ya... on a range blaster... the wetter the better!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:37:01 AM EST

Originally Posted By nationwide:
I tend to listen to Rob Lethams advice on a target gun, "I want the lube oozing out of the gun.".

Hell ya... on a range blaster... the wetter the better!

Dang, come to think of it. My best day shooting steel targets with my .45 came with the stuff oozing out of the gun. I was kicking myself for overlubing it, but I was shooting both accurate and fast, so I didn't mess with it.

Gonna have to try that again next competition.
Top Top