Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/16/2004 9:13:03 PM EDT
I just installed two barrels and wanted to check the headspace on them but can't find the gauges (not in my tooll box, workbench or cleaning box) anywhere. Is there anything else I can use to make sure they're safe  to shoot?
TIA
M
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:41:34 AM EDT
[#1]
headspace is usually checked on factory made barrels when the barrel extension is installed, what is the brand of barrel ??
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:25:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Not that I know what I'm talking about, but aren't snap-caps made to SAAMI standards as far as min and max cartridge AOL?  Could you use one as a field-expedient headspace guage?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 12:12:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
headspace is usually checked on factory made barrels when the barrel extension is installed, what is the brand of barrel ??

No markings on the barrels or any other parts that I've noticed. I did this for a friend, if they were mine I'd just shoot them but I'm not willing just to hand them over to him without some sort of "safety" check.
Thanks again.
M
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 12:38:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Load up a couple of mags with factory ammo (not reloaded), and cycle through by hand.  Does it feed smoothly?  If so, go shoot.

Examine the fired brass.  Look at the primers for pressure signs.  Look at the side of the case, just above the extractor groove, roughly 1/4" up.  Are there little shiny rings running around the circumference of the case?  This means the case is being excessively stretched.

If the ammo cycles through smoothly, and the brass looks good after firing, you are good to go.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:10:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Load up a couple of mags with factory ammo (not reloaded), and cycle through by hand.  Does it feed smoothly?  If so, go shoot.

Examine the fired brass.  Look at the primers for pressure signs.  Look at the side of the case, just above the extractor groove, roughly 1/4" up.  Are there little shiny rings running around the circumference of the case?  This means the case is being excessively stretched.

If the ammo cycles through smoothly, and the brass looks good after firing, you are good to go.

That's a great idea. I was just about to tear my room apart looking for the missing gauges and that'd eat what daylight is left.
Thanks again.
M
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:21:38 PM EDT
[#6]
They both shot great, thanks for all of the input.
M
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top