Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/3/2004 8:03:30 AM EDT
Hi all,
I will soon be starting my second AR build.  The new rifle will be used for coyote and fox hunting and the occasional paper punching at the range.  I think I read somewhere that there is an upper reciever that does not have a forward assist at all.  
Question #1 - Is there such a thing and where could I get one?
Question #2 - Is it available in a flat top?
Question #3 - If there is such a thing what are the pro's and/or con's of this design when used for the purpose I intend?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:17:55 AM EDT
[#1]
DPMS makes low-pro and high-pro upper receivers : www.dpmsinc.com/10Browse.asp. (select upper receivers under "Category" there to view them)

They have no Foward Assist and no dust cover.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:07:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, Les Baer carries uppers without forward assists.
I have a flattop model, and they retail for about $100, stripped.
I'm running mine without the dust cover as well as part of a fixed magazine AR pistol.
I also have 2 DPMS lo-pros and like them very much, but they are slightly heavier than the standard flattops due to the significantly thicker sidewalls.

Pros: theoretically less weight, one less part to add to a stripped upper

Cons: it isn't really a thinner profile for the the brass deflector is still there on the Les Baer model.
The upper required a lot of fitting to a non-Les Baer lower, but the result is a super-tight matchup.
No forward assist when you may need it (obviously)  -- this is an issue with a finicky AR pistol recoil spring assembly often failing to fully close the bolt carrier in semi-auto fire.  (I haven't tried my stronger recoil spring yet) It may or may not be an issue for you.

Having tried the standard flattop upper sans the f/a route, I would recommend against it (unless you use the lo-pro).

Cheers, Otto

(just checked www.lesbaer.com/pricnga.html $108 stripped.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:12:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I just ordered a couple Vulcan carbon-fiber uppers.  They are flat top, no forward assist and no dust cover.  Not to mention Damn light.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top