Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/16/2005 11:36:11 AM EDT
Is shooting an AR with no brass deflector dangerous?

I have two old Colt ARs. One (safe queen) that I have barely shot, old SP2 with no deflector or assist. Second one I have I've shot the crap out of it, has a forward assist, but no deflector. One of my "know it all" shooting buds said that he "heard" incidents of brass flying back into the shooter's face.

Is this your typical gun shop legend, or is there any truth to this?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:44:01 AM EDT
Unlikely unless you are shooting left hand, and then...very likely that you'd catch one in the face.

Tack
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:20:27 PM EDT
+1
my step-father was shooting my A0 lefty this week and he has a nice red "hickey" on his cheek from getting hit with a shell.

I need to find one of those old GI plastic shell deflectors.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:31:58 PM EDT
Thanks for the replies. I did notice some scratches on the assist where some of the brass seems to bounce off of it. That would mean that occasionally some of the brass does fly close to your head. Still I was just curious if anyone else had heard of this issue.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:38:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/16/2005 6:40:20 PM EDT by shamayim]

Originally Posted By Tack:
Unlikely unless you are shooting left hand, and then...very likely that you'd catch one in the face.

Tack

I've owned an SP1 carbine, class3d and XM177E2d, for over 25 years; and only ONCE in countless thousands of rounds has an empty hit my body. Hundreds have bounced off the right earmuff, and in fact I think the one that ended up on my neck also hit the earmuff but bounced left instead of right. This happens only in benchrest shooting. In position shooting, most of them don't even hit the earmuff, and those that do just graze the outer edge of the earpiece.

The two early profile full rifles don't even sling them to the earmuff off the bench.

The reason for empties heading for the rear on early types is that many (most?) of the early pieces have weak extractor springs. The solution? Heavy duty extractor springs from Wolff Gunsprings. These change the angle of ejection to a more forward place. A cheap solution for lefties who want to shoot the early types.

A side benefit for those who do shoot the later ejection hump types, whether right or left handed, is that w/the changed ejection angle, empties just barely touch the outer tip of the hump on the way out, leaving only a small smear that wipes right off w/solvent. For that reason alone I'd use the Wolff springs, even if I wasn't a southpaw.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:10:10 PM EDT
I shoot southpaw and have to be careful where I put my cheek weld. Too far forward and I get brass pinging off my cheek. Too far back and I don't like the sight picture. There is a spot which is just right and I've worked a long time to get it so I go there automatically. This is with any AR, for me at least, with or without brass deflector, although the deflector gives a tad more leeway.
Top Top