Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/18/2005 1:52:14 PM EDT
I've recieved a few IM's from people wanting XCR updates. Robsinson has finalized the design and is tooling up for full rifle production. That's the last I heard. Robinson has clammed up for the past couple of months. But for those who are interested Here is a 14.5 inch barrel with Aimpoint pic I created because I was bored

Link Posted: 6/18/2005 2:03:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Has there been an approximate weight given for it?
Link Posted: 6/18/2005 2:08:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Has there been an approximate weight given for it?

Standard configuration sits at approx. 6.7 lbs

Now for something completely different. I'm curious. Since the SCAR and XCR can use 1913 AR15 sights, that means they should zero with the carry handle as well, yes?

Link Posted: 6/18/2005 2:32:02 PM EDT
[#3]
AHHHHH no more carry handles!

Actually, that doesn't look that bad.
Link Posted: 6/18/2005 5:49:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
AHHHHH no more carry handles!

Actually, that doesn't look that bad.

I actually like the carry handle. Rifles without them look wierd to me. My franken XAR sorta resembles a G36 I think

Link Posted: 6/18/2005 6:07:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

6.7lbs with a railed forend and a piston based gas system and conversion kits to AK mags/ammo?

Damn thing is going to sell like hot cakes..
Link Posted: 6/19/2005 11:38:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

6.7lbs with a railed forend and a piston based gas system and conversion kits to AK mags/ammo?

Lets hope Robinson has beat that rifle to death to keep any bugs from popping up. A couple of M96 style  recalls and the XCR will be stomped by a sure to be bullet proof SCAR which targets the same market
Link Posted: 6/19/2005 11:51:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Assuming FN intends to sell SCAR civilians.

John
Link Posted: 6/19/2005 11:52:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Vaporware.
Link Posted: 6/19/2005 11:52:36 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

John

Word is that they  intend to do so by no later than 2007.  I'll be waiting.
Link Posted: 6/19/2005 11:59:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I must resist... but I do like the looks of it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2005 12:03:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I wonder if there will be a post-ban version for us poor bastards in ban states.

- BG
Link Posted: 6/19/2005 12:13:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I wonder if there will be a post-ban version for us poor bastards in ban states.

- BG

Ha ha ha, oh no, wait a second, I'm in a ban state.
Link Posted: 6/19/2005 12:26:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lets hope Robinson has beat that rifle to death to keep any bugs from popping up. A couple of M96 style  recalls and the XCR will be stomped by a sure to be bullet proof SCAR which targets the same market

I highly doubt the XCR will ever have to compete against the SCAR in the civilian market. FN will never even offer it to us mere civilians.
Link Posted: 6/19/2005 12:39:56 PM EDT
[#14]
At first I recoiled in horror at the pic of the XCR with the carry handle. Then the more I looked at it......... Yeah, baby!
Link Posted: 6/19/2005 12:51:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I highly doubt the XCR will ever have to compete against the SCAR in the civilian market. FN will never even offer it to us mere civilians.

Quoted:

Word is that they  intend to do so by no later than 2007.
 I'll be waiting.

Link Posted: 6/19/2005 1:04:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

John

Word is that they  intend to do so by no later than 2007.  I'll be waiting.

I will believe it when I see it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2005 1:26:27 PM EDT
[#17]
I believe the XCR is designed well. I just hope that it all comes together. One thing is for sure, the bolt release is in the right place. I can't understand why the ARs have not seen that mod yet. God knows ARs have seen every other possible tranformation made.
Link Posted: 6/19/2005 2:30:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FN still says their p90 and F2000 are on track for late this year. So a SCAR isnt impossible. Oh, and last I heard, the BATF gave their stamp of approval for P90 sales to civilians.

A SCAR could happen
Link Posted: 6/19/2005 3:07:24 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hope they really learned something from the M96 CF. The XCR "sounds" good, but so did the M96 originally and RobArms didn't help themselves with the why they handled the problems that surfaced.
Link Posted: 6/19/2005 3:32:08 PM EDT
[#20]
The SCAR has the machine screws holding parts of the rails and reciever together instead of welded in rails or use of rivets. The SCAR most likely will be a problematic weapon unless they change this in the design not to mention two different metals, steel/aluminum. Those machine screws fall out and you have an expensive paperweight.
Link Posted: 6/19/2005 3:32:21 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I believe the XCR is designed well. I just hope that it all comes together. One thing is for sure, the bolt release is in the right place. I can't understand why the ARs have not seen that mod yet. God knows ARs have seen every other possible tranformation made.

I always wondered the same thing myself .
Link Posted: 6/19/2005 3:50:53 PM EDT
[#22]
It would be nice if they would offer this as a upper that would fit on any AR lower.  I like the collapsable stock better then folding.  Plus I already have an AR lower.
Link Posted: 6/19/2005 4:27:17 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm waiting for a SCAR instead.  It will be out for civ purchase, maybe sooner than you think, but probably with a polymer receiver.  Even the select fire version might have polymer.  

Hopefully, I can put my hands on one within a month or two. (Friend of a friend kind of thing)
Link Posted: 6/19/2005 5:35:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Having now seen video/pictures of the moving parts of both rifles, I like the XCR better. The XCR uses a bolt and carrier much like that used on the SIG 550 (AK-like) while the SCAR uses an almost exact copy of the G36's (modified AR18) bolt assembly.

I think the AK style bolt and carrier are probably more robust.
Link Posted: 6/19/2005 8:17:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Kinda has the SPAS 15 look...
Link Posted: 6/19/2005 8:39:35 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Having now seen video/pictures of the moving parts of both rifles, I like the XCR better. The XCR uses a bolt and carrier much like that used on the SIG 550 (AK-like) while the SCAR uses an almost exact copy of the G36's (modified AR18) bolt assembly.

I think the AK style bolt and carrier are probably more robust.

Personally, I favor the FN-SCAR but the XCR is definately a viable alternative in my book.  [wishful thinking] I guess I'll just have to get both [/wishful thinking]
Link Posted: 6/19/2005 10:28:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Kinda off topic, but my dealer told me the FN P90's for civie consumption will not take the standard 50 rd mags. It will probably be some PC garbage 10 rd setup. The XCR from Robinson does look interesting. Does anyone have any experience with them or are they not available yet?
Link Posted: 6/19/2005 11:00:15 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Kinda off topic, but my dealer told me the FN P90's for civie consumption will not take the standard 50 rd mags. It will probably be some PC garbage 10 rd setup. The XCR from Robinson does look interesting. Does anyone have any experience with them or are they not available yet?

Before I say anything, here is a disclaimer.

I dont work for Robinson, I have no stake in the company. I dont endorse Robinson in any way

I've held an early model XCR. I havent shot it, so I dont know if recoil is better than the AR15 or not, and I dont know if it is more accurate.

What I do know is the build quality was very good. Finish was nice and even, nothing rattled or had any play, including the free float quick change barrel. The folder was super tight as well. Controls were all in the right place and the package was very ergonomic.

I wish the handguards were longer. I dont like that much of the barrel exposed. I feel the same about the M4 as well.  Barrel profile was too thin for my taste, I supppose to save weight. I would go with an HBAR personally, but I dont have a problem with 7lbs carbines though.

I have no reservations about being an early XCR adopter because RA is local to me so I can go right over to their site in 15 minutes if something doesnt work correctly. I also think because the XCR was always intended to be a military product, RA has debugged it better than the M96

Link Posted: 6/19/2005 11:29:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Here is the configuration I intend to build when I buy my XCR
YHM front and rear sights
Phantom 5C1
14.5" HBAR
Rail covers protecting all the exposed rails, even the top

Kinda like this concept I drew
Notice I changed to USGI mags in the pic as well. Pretty cool looking I think
Link Posted: 6/19/2005 11:43:43 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Phantom 5C1
14.5" HBAR

acstest2.com/XCRAC.JPG

Somebody's been up late photoshopping. Looks cool, but are you sure about the rail covers on top?
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 12:05:48 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Phantom 5C1
14.5" HBAR

acstest2.com/XCRAC.JPG

Somebody's been up late photoshopping. Looks cool, but are you sure about the rail covers on top?

How about an M4 profile lol. Okay okay its late, I'm going to bed
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 1:58:32 AM EDT
[#32]
The m96 was shit, hope they do better on this one.
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 9:28:30 AM EDT
[#33]
I must have one of these guns... now how to get one in CA... hmmm.
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 2:56:01 PM EDT
[#34]
I just spoke with robinson and begged for more information. They said August is the earliest they can expect to begin shipping, and they are working on getting the MSRP down as well.

I'm impatient, I'll give them till august though. Much longer than that and I might just get a POF upper instead.

Please Robinson, get it together.
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 5:22:06 PM EDT
[#35]

Oh, and last I heard, the BATF gave their stamp of approval for P90 sales to civilians.
A SCAR could happen

Where did you hear this and how can it be verified?
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 5:24:30 PM EDT
[#36]
I know some prices have been thrown around but what is this thing going to sell for if civis can purchase, BOTTOM LINE!
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 5:36:37 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Will be shipped with 30 rnd mags but will accept 50 rnd mags.
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 5:37:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Double Tap...sorry...
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 5:47:49 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Oh, and last I heard, the BATF gave their stamp of approval for P90 sales to civilians.
A SCAR could happen

Call FN. They were very friendly and helpful with P90 info
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 9:43:17 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A SCAR could happen

Will do thanks.
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 10:11:43 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A SCAR could happen

Will do thanks.

This is the FN contact info I used:
Commercial and Law Enforcement
PO Box 697, McLean, VA 22101 USA
Phone: (703) 288-1292 • Fax: (703) 288-1730

Notice their website is down. It's being updated, perhaps  to add the P90, F2000, and revised FNP-9m. Some other products as well I hope. I happen to be big fans of FN. Maybe they will throw in an FNC carbine as well

And this is the collection I want  completed in 2006
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 10:52:25 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Notice their website is down. It's being updated, perhaps  to add the P90, F2000, and revised FNP-9m. Some other products as well I hope. I happen to be big fans of FN. Maybe they will throw in an FNC carbine as well

That M4 is the nicest one you've got there.  Right now the main thing Robinson's got going for them is the novelty. I've got a friend that's shot it with Robinson himself, (is his name Alex? Blonde younger guy?) and he said he'd still take an M4 anyday. Sorry, I'll go crawl back into my cave....

Then again, you get that collection and I just might be hanging around your place waiting to go shooting with you.
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 12:27:42 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

acstest2.com/trio.JPG

That M4 is the nicest one you've got there.  Right now the main thing Robinson's got going for them is the novelty. I've got a friend that's shot it with Robinson himself, (is his name Alex? Blonde younger guy?) and he said he'd still take an M4 anyday. Sorry, I'll go crawl back into my cave....

Then again, you get that collection and I just might be hanging around your place waiting to go shooting with you.

I dont know if I'd decsribe the XCR as a novelty. No more than I would consider the 55X, FNC, FAMAS, AUG, etc as a novelty. Despite all sharing the same caliber, each is different in form and function and appeal to shooters in different ways. Pink AR's are novel

Since you're local you're more than welcome to shoot the XCR whenever robinson gets their thumb out and starts selling it. I have money burning a hole in my pocket and CMMG calls out to me in my sleep so I'd better start seeing XCR's soon
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 3:03:42 AM EDT
[#44]
The FN P90 sporter looks like utter ass:

* 16" barrel (on a M4 it looks good, on a P90 it looks like shit)
* stock mags are not of 50 rd cap.
* If you want 50 rd P90 mags, assuming they will work with the P90 Sporter, they are generally $70-$100 a piece. Drop a fully loaded P90 mag and you just might jam it so bad that you can't fix it at home.
* 5.7x28 ammo is hard to find and expensive
$1400 expected price
The P90 Sporter is a novelty.
The good part about the P90 Sporter is that the barrel is so long that the possibility of you accidentally shooting your off-hand is next to nil. From what I heard, LOTS of self-inflicted injuries occur because the real full auto P90 has such a short barrel that you can forget your off-hand is right in front of it, then BAM.

The FN 2000 has more going for it, in the fact that it can take AR-15 mags and shoot .223/5.56x45. This solves a whole slew of logistics regarding extra mags and ammo.

XCR / SCAR is a good idea - piston uppers with the XCR being capable of using 7.62x39, however I heard custom mags must be used for 7.62x39 and NOT regular AK mags due to the design of the receiver.

If this has changed and we can now use AR-15 mags AND AK mags with the XCR, it will sell like meth-laced hotcakes in a meth clinic.
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 3:43:26 AM EDT
[#45]

I have money burning a hole in my pocket ...

Glad I'm not the only one.  Fund for an XCR has been stashed away since I put my name on the guinea pigs list
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 5:24:26 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Glad I'm not the only one.  Fund for an XCR has been stashed away since I put my name on the guinea pigs list

Whats the price of the XCR going to be?
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 6:09:34 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whats the price of the XCR going to be?

$1,249 for the basic carbine.

XCR Price List:
www.robarm.com/XCRTm_Initial_Pricing.htm
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 11:58:40 AM EDT
[#48]
So here is my dilemma.  I'm very close to giving up on the RA XCR.  I've been waiting since March and every month they promise it will be delivered two months later.  

So do I bite on the hook and wait until August or just go ahead with a DSA C.R.O.S. or get the Bushmaster E2S Modular Carbine with Tele-Stock?

I'm a bit concerned that the XCR won't live up to expectations given the delays that keep occuring.  I understand the "first time out" problem of manufacturing a new weapon but give me a break.

Link Posted: 7/9/2005 12:21:57 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
So here is my dilemma.  I'm very close to giving up on the RA XCR.  I've been waiting since March and every month they promise it will be delivered two months later.  

So do I bite on the hook and wait until August or just go ahead with a DSA C.R.O.S. or get the Bushmaster E2S Modular Carbine with Tele-Stock?

I'm a bit concerned that the XCR won't live up to expectations given the delays that keep occuring.  I understand the "first time out" problem of manufacturing a new weapon but give me a break.

Before purchasing the XCR, ask yourself,  what do I want and need in this gun. For some people it's just the novelty of a new toy that no one else has.

I'm lucky enough to have handled the XCR and I see the value in some of its features that make it a viable option. Ergos, folder, piston, fast barrel change, these are things  I consider important enough to make me want to own the gun, but I still wrestle with purchasing new AR15 rifles. I might go buy an RRA today in fact, which would delay my XCR until fall

Best advice would be to get the XCR in your hands first, play with it and determine if it is the gun for you. Who knows, it might come out and you may hate the design, or maybe love it, but you wont know till you see it first and you cant do that till august RA says at the moment
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 1:17:32 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Before purchasing the XCR, ask yourself,  what do I want and need in this gun. For some people it's just the novelty of a new toy that no one else has.

I'm lucky enough to have handled the XCR and I see the value in some of its features that make it a viable option. Ergos, folder, piston, fast barrel change, these are things  I consider important enough to make me want to own the gun, but I still wrestle with purchasing new AR15 rifles. I might go buy an RRA today in fact, which would delay my XCR until fall

Best advice would be to get the XCR in your hands first, play with it and determine if it is the gun for you. Who knows, it might come out and you may hate the design, or maybe love it, but you wont know till you see it first and you cant do that till august RA says at the moment

Let's see:

Ergonomics:
Vepr or AR-15 fit the bill

Folding Stock:
What for?

Piston:
Vepr has it, I wish the AR-15 had it, but I'm not about to shell out $1000+ for something my $500 Vepr already uses.

Fast Barrel Changes:
Doesn't exactly instill confidence in the durability of the barrel... If you want to switch calibers or something, the AR-15 can do that. Notice how long it takes to change calibers on the XCR.
From .223 to 7.62x39 takes longer than it would to just swap upper receivers w/ the barrels installed, and to swap out the entire bolt carrier assembly. The XCR takes custom made AK mags - NOT any ordinary AK mag. Lot's of potential WECSOG to be had with these "custom" AK mags.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top