Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/11/2015 7:35:49 PM EDT
I broke down and bought my first "melonited/nitrocaburized" barrel this past week.

Does anyone know of any "special" break-in procedures for these barrels? Or is it like any other barrel?

Thanks ahead of time
MM
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 7:39:45 PM EDT
[#1]
You'd be wasting money trying to break it in.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 7:39:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Just shoot it. The guy who built my bolt gun runs a few rounds through them before having them treated.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 9:02:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm dying to understand. So, can you explain?
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 9:04:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I mean, I understand that it is a chemical process that affects the surface of the barrel material, but why wouldn't you have a "break-in" period like other materials?

Honest, I'm trying to understand.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 9:10:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I mean, I understand that it is a chemical process that affects the surface of the barrel material, but why wouldn't you have a "break-in" period like other materials?

View Quote

Because it is not necessary.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 9:24:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote
It is extremely hard. Anything you are trying to wear in, won't

Link Posted: 4/12/2015 9:42:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And it's extremely slick.

Clean it, lube it and shoot it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 12:40:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Last two folks nailed it.   Here's my super secret/must be done to shoot well break in procedure I do for all my rifles:

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 11:26:15 PM EDT
[#9]
And, as I understand it, it is not just the bore and chamber - its the whole barrel, inside and out. It has higher wear resistance and higher corrosion resistance than chrome. Plus, they bore the barrel precisely, then do the treatment, which changes no dimensions - this compared to the chrome-lined where they bore the barrel larger then bring it back to correct dimension with the chrome lining - except its not a very precise process. I only have one such barrel, on a SIG 556R 7.62X39. I haven't seen any particular accuracy out of it yet but most of that is 'Operator trouble - loose nut behind the wheel' :) and cheap ammo.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 7:36:46 AM EDT
[#10]
You can't break it in once it is treated.  Just shoot it.

It may or may not extend service life.  It certainly makes the bore harder and more resistant to cleaning rod damage and similar, plus the added rust resistance.

It doesn't change the melting point of the steel...so you still get heat checking/fire cracking forward of the chamber which is what primariliy kills a barrel anyway.

It is a double edged sword.  On untreated barrels, the throat will polish and improve slightly with break in.  On treated barrels, it is what it is...good or bad.  

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 3:01:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Right from AR Performance's page on barrel break in --

Not needed for chrome-lined or Nitro-carburized barrels.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:23:32 AM EDT
[#12]
3 rapid 30rd mag dumps and call it good.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:12:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Nothing to be said for deep cleaning any residual salts out of the pores before coppering them back up?
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top