Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/2/2006 7:38:26 PM EDT
Thoughts?  I am looking for a scope to go on my 24" AR-10 build.  Without considering cost which scope would people use?  (Other brands are also acceptable).  The other question is what magnification would people consider?

-C4-
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:48:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:25:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I think Nightforce has the edge on the glass quality-

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:59:52 AM EDT
[#3]
never owned a leupold but will pick the nightforce
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:56:09 AM EDT
[#4]
My price range is $500 to $1500ish...  I would prefer to spend around $1000.

-C4-
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:16:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Also look at the IOR 2x12-32 or 3X18-42.  I have the 2X12-32 and I am going to do a review of it and post it here as soon as the medium rings come in.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:20:01 AM EDT
[#6]

I have 4.5-14 X 50 M1 , 3.5-10X40 M! w/ Illuminated recticle, NSX 5.5-22 X 56 and the NSX 3.5-15 X 50

Recticles

If having a illuminated recticle is important  the NSX recticle choices ( lots of choices ) is way better than the Leupold illuminated . Only complaint ( minor ) I have is its a pain to change the recticle illumination brightness on the NSX . Dead easy to do on the Leupold

Some people find the NSX recticles buys but I think they are awesome for holdover references ( like the NP-R2

Turrets
The nightforce turrets have more positive clicks than the M1s and best of all you can get the ZERO STOP option in the NSX . Extremely handy if you you dial in elevation . Doesn't  matter if you never touch your turrets

Optical Clarity - I would have to give the slight edge to the NF ( yes same power setting and dia obj was compared ) .

If money was not an issue I would pic the NSX over the MK4 . You might not like the fact that the NSX is made in Japan ( Leupold lenses are from Japan BTW )

Not to confuse the issue but neither of these scopes are actually my favorite choice for a 308 . I have a Schmidt & Bender PMII (3-12 X 50 ) on my 308 . The PMII line is absoloutly outstanding . As good as the NSXs are the PMII is awesome

Things you will like with PMII

1. It will make its full elevation in one turn ( or you can go with their super cool "double turn option".  This setup is waaaay better than the leupold M3 single turn turret . Have no idea how they make the clicks so small yet positive feeling ( clicks are about 2.5 times finer than the M3 single turn - 1cm click on S&B vs about 1" on M3 turret )

2. Build quality is outstanding. You have to see the turrets off to appreciate the machine work and precison ( like a watch )

3. Optical quality is outstanding . This scope pissed me off because I could see the targets  clearer than my spotting scope ! Could't have that so it "Made" me buy a new spotting scope !

4. Parallax ( 3rd turret ) adjustment better than the Leupold

Things you will not like with PMII

1. Cost - they are ridiculously overpriced now ( pricing has increased significantly over the past couple years ) About $2500 for PMII vs $1000 to $1500 for the NSX and Leupold

2. Front focal plane recticle. Good if you range with mil dot . Not the greatest for shooting paper a long ranges

BTW the USMC and Canadian forces new issue sniper rifles both chose to go with PMIIs . Not to say the other contenders are bad choices ( quite the opposite the USO is outstanding products ) but just useless trivia

MAGNIFICATION

That question all depends on what you are doing with it. For real world stuff like hunting the 10 to 12 power is ideal ( 15 with NSX )

If you like long range target shooting you can't go wrong with the 22 -24 power .
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:02:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Night force 2.5x10 w/ NPR2.  Mike is a good guy at CSgunworks.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:17:53 AM EDT
[#8]
As of right now I am leaning towards the 8-32x56 NXS with the MLR Reticle.  I am also thinking about the 12-42x, but don't think I will ever be shooting anything that would really use 42x and that I may get annoyed with the 12x minimum.  

-C4-
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:21:16 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I have 4.5-14 X 50 M1 , 3.5-10X40 M! w/ Illuminated recticle, NSX 5.5-22 X 56 and the NSX 3.5-15 X 50

Recticles

If having a illuminated recticle is important  the NSX recticle choices ( lots of choices ) is way better than the Leupold illuminated . Only complaint ( minor ) I have is its a pain to change the recticle illumination brightness on the NSX . Dead easy to do on the Leupold

Some people find the NSX recticles buys but I think they are awesome for holdover references ( like the NP-R2

Turrets
The nightforce turrets have more positive clicks than the M1s and best of all you can get the ZERO STOP option in the NSX . Extremely handy if you you dial in elevation . Doesn't  matter if you never touch your turrets

Optical Clarity - I would have to give the slight edge to the NF ( yes same power setting and dia obj was compared ) .

If money was not an issue I would pic the NSX over the MK4 . You might not like the fact that the NSX is made in Japan ( Leupold lenses are from Japan BTW )

Not to confuse the issue but neither of these scopes are actually my favorite choice for a 308 . I have a Schmidt & Bender PMII (3-12 X 50 ) on my 308 . The PMII line is absoloutly outstanding . As good as the NSXs are the PMII is awesome

Things you will like with PMII

1. It will make its full elevation in one turn ( or you can go with their super cool "double turn option".  This setup is waaaay better than the leupold M3 single turn turret . Have no idea how they make the clicks so small yet positive feeling ( clicks are about 2.5 times finer than the M3 single turn - 1cm click on S&B vs about 1" on M3 turret )

2. Build quality is outstanding. You have to see the turrets off to appreciate the machine work and precison ( like a watch )

3. Optical quality is outstanding . This scope pissed me off because I could see the targets  clearer than my spotting scope ! Could't have that so it "Made" me buy a new spotting scope !

4. Parallax ( 3rd turret ) adjustment better than the Leupold

Things you will not like with PMII

1. Cost - they are ridiculously overpriced now ( pricing has increased significantly over the past couple years ) About $2500 for PMII vs $1000 to $1500 for the NSX and Leupold

2. Front focal plane recticle. Good if you range with mil dot . Not the greatest for shooting paper a long ranges

BTW the USMC and Canadian forces new issue sniper rifles both chose to go with PMIIs . Not to say the other contenders are bad choices ( quite the opposite the USO is outstanding products ) but just useless trivia

MAGNIFICATION

That question all depends on what you are doing with it. For real world stuff like hunting the 10 to 12 power is ideal ( 15 with NSX )

If you like long range target shooting you can't go wrong with the 22 -24 power .

Thanks for the info.  I would really like to get one of the PMIIs, but just don't have the $2500 to spend...

-C4-
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:51:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Why not the 5.5-22x50?  Better cheek weld and you don't necessarily need 32x mag for a .308.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:46:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I would not go more than the 5.5-22x50 Nightforce for an AR-10. In my opinion 20x is border line to much magnification when it comes to the mirage after a few rounds and 5.5x gives a pretty limited FOV for a semi-auto.

I would recomend the Nightforce 3.5-15x50 for a more balanced scope/rifle combo.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:14:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Nightforce NEEDS to come out with a 3.5-15x40. For the AR you need a small objective but still want to gather light. USO makes one. Leupy makes one. NF should make one. I have owned the NF2-10 and the IOR2-12 and both of them are good scopes. I like the adj. objective with the IOR. Both tracked well and had positive clicks. Mike from CS Gunworks is a top notch guy to deal with. Good luck.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top