Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/11/2018 9:43:15 AM EDT
I currently have a ta33 w/ slr mount on my go to ar.

I'm not getting in target as fast as I would like at close range.

Would a nightforce 1-4 in a geissele mount be a good replacement? How would it compare in glass quality?

Also what reticle should I be looking for?
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 9:49:52 AM EDT
[#1]
FC2 and FC3G are great reticles.

Has been discussed at length in this forum- the 1-x will provide greater flexibility than a fixed power prism.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 11:00:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Personally I've found myself marginally faster with my TA33 than I was when I had my 1.5-4x Leupold. Just going to be personal preference largely.

The exceptionally forgiving eyebox on the TA33 makes it very quick and easy, closer to a red-dot than most scopes.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 5:19:06 PM EDT
[#3]
The FC3G reticle is really good.

At 1X it’s big and bold enough that you can run it in no light with a white light no problem.  It’s second focal plane so it a has a very generous eyebox.   The main drawback is edge distortion and to a very lesser extent the image can look a little yellow at dawn/disk conditions.

At 4X the reticle is still good, the BDC is fine enough to be precise at 300+, the exit pupil is still good to use in very low light and the illumination turns down enough to use in those conditions.

The illumination is not daylight bright, but the reticle is good enough that it just doesn’t have to be.

It’s a great little optic that Nightforce should have updated with better glass and illumination.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 6:08:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Razor HD II 1-6.

Daylight bright red dot at a true 1x.  The glass is very clear and it comes with a few reticles to choose from.

Rugged, but a little heavy.  Do curls.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 6:19:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

At 1X it’s big and bold enough that you can run it in no light with a white light no problem.  It’s second focal plane so it a has a very generous eyebox.   The main drawback is edge distortion and to a very lesser extent the image can look a little yellow at dawn/disk conditions.

At 4X the reticle is still good, the BDC is fine enough to be precise at 300+, the exit pupil is still good to use in very low light and the illumination turns down enough to use in those conditions.

The illumination is not daylight bright, but the reticle is good enough that it just doesn’t have to be.

It’s a great little optic that Nightforce should have updated with better glass and illumination.
View Quote
They basically have updated it with the NX8, same weight/size just different reticle, definitely daylight bright though.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 6:26:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They basically have updated it with the NX8, same weight/size just different reticle, definitely daylight bright though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kinda.  Eyebox is very tight, and the mil reticle isn’t as good (IMO) as the BDC on the FC3G, and being FFP it’s big on 8X.  No wind holds on the lower stadia, but a huge thick reticle and an elevation turret.

They said it was spec’d for a government contract.  It looks like what you would expect the government to come up with.  It’s a fucked up scope.  I have an ATACR 1-8 and love it though.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 8:09:40 AM EDT
[#7]
How long have you had it? Are you using it with both eyes open?
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 8:40:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I switched from the 1.5x ACOG to the NF 1-4 w/ FC-2.  The performance improvement easily overshadowed the minor increase in weight.

With the 1-8s coming out, there are some deals to be had on 1-4s, too.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 8:41:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I switched from the 1.5x ACOG to the NF 1-4 w/ FC-2.  The performance improvement easily overshadowed the minor increase in weight.

View Quote
what did those 2 optics cost you?
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 9:00:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How long have you had it? Are you using it with both eyes open?
View Quote
Admittedly I didn’t spend much time with it.  I just didn’t like it from the get-go.   The circle dot is too thick for precision at distance, there’s no wind holds below that so you reLly ned to dial elevation and hold wind but now you’re trying to hold off in the mess of the circle dot.  Just didn’t look like anyone thought the scope out.

I could see how it would be a good scope for 0-200 yards or so, but the reticle and turret arrangement doesn’t work together for me.

I may still use it, but I’m really content with the ATACR.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 9:52:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did a bunch of horse trading to get each of them as used items, so no where near retail.

If memory serves, I sold the ACOG for around $700 (new with a Larue mount was ~$1050).  The NF was a law enforcement trade-in.  I think the going rate has been $750-900 for those.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 10:04:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On the EE here I found the ATACR for $2150 and the NX8 for $1450.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 8:47:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
whats the differences between these 2 optics? Whenever I see Nightforce being talked about on this forum its those 2 optics.
@samuse
In what application would you use each one, in your opinion? (on what kind of rifle setups)
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 9:45:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
whats the differences between these 2 optics? Whenever I see Nightforce being talked about on this forum its those 2 optics.
@samuse
In what application would you use each one, in your opinion? (on what kind of rifle setups)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@samuse
The NX8 is very compact 17oz 30mm FFP 1-8, the ATACR is a big 21oz 34mm FFP1-8.

The only thing I saw that the NX8 has going for it is small size and light weight.  It should have been a second focal plane with a the FC3G BDC reticle.  It would have been optically mich better and easier to use.   The reticle would have been a lot better on 1X and 8X had it been 2FP.

The ATACR has a much better reticle, has a better eyebox, is just an easy scope to get behind.  It has capped turrets and a reticle that has elevation and wind holds.  The illumination is very daylight bright.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top