Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/27/2003 1:52:02 PM EDT
I am looking for the best type of night vision set up for taking out varmints. I will be using a 16" M4-gery with an EOTech 552. Which is better, weapon mounted or head mounted? The varmints in question are 'yotes between 50 and 100 yards. Also, I will be mobile on a four wheeler. I was thinking that goggles would be good because I would not have to use the lights on the 4WLR. But, how well do goggles work with an EOTech? Any one ever tried both? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 2:31:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Monocular not goggles.  Can be head or weapon mounted.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 4:31:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, weapon mounted is the way to go for close range varmits. Even the first gen. stuff can cover that range.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 5:08:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Helmet mounted monocular are best, only if you are aiming with a laser (IR). It is not realistic to put a helmet mounted Monoucular behind a rifle mounted red dot as it is near impossible to line up anything. Weapons       monoculars are best used mounted a bit higher, (1/4-1/2") than the red dot so you can use the aiming dot, but also so you get more ambient light, larger field of view, and not have tunnel vision. For best results of clear picture depends on the spacing between the Monocular and day optic, and what actual make devices you are using.
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 9:00:14 PM EDT
[#4]
yep, helmet mounted goggles or monocs are best used with IR pointers, and weapon mounted NV monoc is probably the best setup for hunting, but it IS possible to wear a monocular on your weak side eye and use an eotech at the same time (if you don't have a nice pvs-14 to mount behind the eotech, or your monoc doesn't have weapons mounts available).  you shoulder the rifle same as you normally do, and use the normal reticle setting (not night vision).  keeping both eyes open superimposes the reticle on the night-vison aided view with the weak side eye (since all the strong side eye sees is the reticle against darkness).  
as far as trying to line up a goggle like the pvs-7 behind the eotech, forget it (i've tried).  the tube just bangs against the rifle constantly and it's extremely awkward at best.
cheers,
MM
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top