Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2003 5:54:29 PM EDT
I am trying to learn about night vision before I make a purchase.  The more I read and the more sales people I talk to the more confused I get.

I think I want a PVS14.  I want to use it as head mounted monocular with a weapon mounted IR laser.  I also want to be able to mount it in front of my 4x acog.

So as I was shoping I was trying to pay attention to the resolution of the different models for sale.  Some are 54lp and some are 64lp. However I just spoke to a sales person that told me resolution does not mean that much and that any itt NV avaliable to civilians will have a much shorter effective range than available to millitary/LE because of the tube quality.  He said just because you find a unit with 65lp resolution does not mean you will be able to id targets at extended ranges.

Is this right?

And is it true that only the night quest line is avalable to civilians and the the night enforcer line is availabe only to LE and is the true mil spec stuff?

He told me for $310O a night Quest pvs 14 will have a "b" tube that will have no better performance than some of the high end 2nd gen stuff and no where near the range of military issue.

Is this true?

Also I am seeing some "d" or "delta" tube modles for sale in the $4500 range.  Are these significantly better tubes in terms of effective range?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:58:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:14:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:24:01 PM EDT
[#3]
You need to define what do you want to do with the night vision scope.
Then you need to verify how much you want (or can) spend.  You are right, the price can go easily to the $4000 for a good Gen3.

Then you may want to check these websites:

This is an excellent scientific website:
http://www.photonic-science.ltd.uk/tn_007.html

http://savvysurvivor.com/night_vision_gear_is_it_worth_it.htm

This is a vendor but has a very good forum:
http://www.nightvisiononline.com/index.cgi

I own a ATN Paladin Gen 1.  Works quite fine for what I want it to do.  If I could afford I would get a PVS-14 with 64lp resolution.

For what I have seen around you can get what you want if you pay for it.  Of course, assuming you are here in the US.  Gen 2 and 3 cannot be exported unless you have an special authorization.

Cheers!

Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:33:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Wes

Can I bother you with a few more questions?

1)At what range will a $3100 NQ PVS 14 with a "B" tube allow me to identify targets both head mounted and in front of the 4xACOG?

2) Is it likely that the $4500 units I am seeing advertised meet omni IV specs?

3) IF so, what do I look for on a tube data sheet "to prove it"?

4)How do I get what you and Paul use and how much should I expect to pay?
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 2:43:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Nathan,
shoot me an e-mail. I have something you may be interested in but your IM mail box is full.

Full-Auto
[email protected]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 3:24:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Nathan,
shoot me an e-mail. I have something you may be interested in but your IM mail box is full.

Full-Auto
[email protected]
View Quote

What do you have for me?  If you post it on this open forum then maybe Wes and others here can help me decide if it's what I want.  

I also cleaned out my IM box.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 5:17:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 8:29:54 AM EDT
[#8]
OMNI V photocathode sensitivity is also lower than for OMNI IV: 1500 vs 1800.

OMNI V S/N is 19.2

Another difference is the number of spots allowed. Again, OMNI V is poorer than OMNI IV.

Anyone have a Pinnacle for sale?

jvn

Link Posted: 7/3/2003 2:20:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Wes, as usual you are a wealth of knowage and a ton of help.  I am not trying to be a pain in the ass but --- I am really trying to nail down the real world differences between the $3100 "b" tube and the $4500 "Delta".  I know you can't tell me their usful range because it is dependent on many variables but relatively speeking, in terms of usefull distance, how much better is the "delta"

If I were to buy either and put it up to my eye I would not even know what to expect.

Thanks again
Kris

Link Posted: 7/3/2003 7:26:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top