Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/13/2003 6:41:40 PM EDT
I'm not very good at photography, but I know when I was considering getting night sights, I wanted to know what they would look like on the gun.  Here's a pic I took of my trijicons.  The dots are actually green, but the camera isn't very good.  They show up even in pitch black darkness.

http://www.throttlejunkies.com/forum/files/nightsights.jpg
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 7:30:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 7:48:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the pic!

I think I need a tritium front sight for all my ARs.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 6:02:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I have yellow on the rear sight and green in the front.  I had read some posts here of individuals that didn't llike the rear tritiums, but I have to say I like tje combo.  It appears as two fuzzy yellow globes with a clear green dot in the center.  When focusing on the front sight, the globes fade and become non distracting. No batteries included, none needed.just $.02
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 8:54:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have yellow on the rear sight and green in the front.  I had read some posts here of individuals that didn't llike the rear tritiums, but I have to say I like tje combo.  It appears as two fuzzy yellow globes with a clear green dot in the center.  When focusing on the front sight, the globes fade and become non distracting. No batteries included, none needed.just $.02
View Quote

I personally am one of those who doesn't like to have same color tritiums in the rear as in the front, since the rear tritiums will look larger than the front (closer to your eyes), and therefore make it harder to aim quickly (the rear sites could distract you from finding the front site quickly).

However, if they are different colors, I could see how that could actually be beneficial.  There'd be no confusion as to which color site the front site is.

Link Posted: 12/14/2003 10:35:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Just an observation.  If you have a standard FSB and night sight there, when you look through an ACOG at night you will see the dim glow, kind of distracting.  During the day the tiny blur on the bottom of the scope doesn't bother many people, but at night the tritium glow will show nicely in the sight picture.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 10:39:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Serious question:

The rear trijicons... can you REALLY use them effectively?  I mean, with proper cheekweld and "nose to the charging handle", you're RIGHT up on the rear sight.  I've been thinking about just putting a trijicon front post on, and leaving the rear apeture alone.  How effective are the rear trijicons?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 11:06:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Gloftoe you would do well to only use the front sight post.

I can barely make out my rear sights.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 12:52:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I had just the front sight post for a while.  In extremely low light, the rear dots DO help, because the rear aperture can blur out completely into the dark, but it may not be worth the money to you.  The front sight post is very useful, because it can be invisible on sillhouetes of whatever you are shooting, and also on black bullseyes sometimes.  The dot gives you the contrast you need.  The rear aperture is nice if you can afford it, if not, the front works great alone also.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:53:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:00:30 PM EDT
[#10]
oh yeah I forgot about that.  I remember trying to sight in without the rear on in the dark, and it was just about impossible to find the hole.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 2:24:59 AM EDT
[#11]
The color of the rears has nothing to do with the speed of aquisition.  The rear sight is necessary for precision night shooting.  Anyone who says the rears are not needed or the color of the rear sight can effect speed is trying to transfer knowledge of pistol tritum irons to the AR irons.  You cannot effectively make precision shots without the rears with tritium at night.  You can actually judge the center of the rear aperature perfectly by getting the front small globe to be in the middle of the rear globes.  

The rear globes are just as usefull and symetrical as the front.  The rears are simply larger and dimmer and "see through" The issue is knowing how to line up the rear globes and front globe and how that relates to the POI.  Your distance from the charging handle will determine how far apart the rear globes are or if they cross each other (as in nose to the charging handle) then you have to determine where the front globe should rest in relation to those globes to get accurate hits.  

For example you could have two over lapping rear circles (think VISA symbol) and put the front dot in the middle of the overlapping rear circles.  You could then use the top intersection of the rear circles as an aiming point which is well above the front sight tritium.  This relationship will change depending on your distance from the rear sight.  As you can see without reference you will not be able to make hits as accurately at night as you can during the day.  

A front tritium only makes about as much sense as a front sight post and no rear aperature since you can just put the front post on your target and fire.

FWIW the pic above is NOTHING like the sight picture you will see if you shoot with night sights.  The rears will be HUGE in your FOV and actually touch or overlap most of the time.  They are also NOT blurry as they will have perfectly defined edges.  When someone says blurry they mean out of focus, however they are very precise once you figure out how to use them.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 2:39:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I agree with Devl on this one.

I first decided I needed something on my rifle that would work at night when I went outside one night with my dad to see what went bump. I was unable to see my sights, hell it was so dark on our farm that I could not see my rifle in my hands when walking under one of our trees. I got a Meprolight front sight. I thought that was the shit, until I tried to shoot anything past 25 or so yards. And those shots were just aimed not sighted shots. I then got into the OEG and later the ACOG.

Two years ago I set up a rifle for my wife. It needed to be light and I did not have the cash to put an optic on it at the time. So I put a set of Trijicon night sights on it. They work great and are easy to use at any range that you can see your target. Having the front and back in 100 times better than just having the front. You can sight in on your target not just aim in its direction. I have the green on green and have no trouble distinguishing the front and rear sights.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:19:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Can you put these on the ARMS 40 buis?  Also, as Duffy stated is there a noticible blur if you are co-witnessing through an Aimpoint or any other glass or do you not notice it?
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 12:35:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes you can put it on an ARMS 40 and Yes you can see it through an Aimpoint and No I dont find it distracting any more than the front sight already is during the day.  Your idea of distracting may vary.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 1:26:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Perfect illustration of why I dont like them.

Notice the distance of the tritium dot from the top plane of the sight?
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 11:10:39 AM EDT
[#16]
You just have to learn how to compensate.  You have a different sight picture when all you can see is tritium.  Thats like saying you dont like a scope etched BDC becasue it does not match up with your particular load...you simply learn how to use it and its a benefit.  The tritiums offer 100% of the accuracy you can get from irons during the day you just have to know how to use them.  Why would anyone limit themselves to day only irons?
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 12:15:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Thats great if you limit yourself to daylight on the range and dont shoot under stress in varying lighting conditions.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top