Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/27/2003 12:41:51 AM EDT
I have little to no experience with nightvision outside of a few trials by a local dealer. I was to say the least impressed and this was with the Gen 1 tubes. For the sake of price lets stay with Gen 1 for now. Now as far as setup:

There is a weapon mounted setup monocular. Now this can be mounted to my AR or other flatop rifle along with my aimpoint in front correct?

Could this also be used as a head mounted monocular and used in conjuction with the aimpoint?

If possible I would like to see some setups that others have if possible?

In closing anyones thoughts, experience would be appreciated as this can be a costly venture and I would like as much knowledge as I can before I proceed. Rather than trial and error. Thanks
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 7:21:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know that you are goping to be abvle to find a generation1 tube in a size that will allow it to mount behind the M2 on a flattop upper or a rail that's stable enough to mount the two w/ the Aimpoint out in front of the receiver.
The newer tubes and scopes AN-PVS14, 18 etc. are samll enough to fit behind the M2, and can also be used as a head/helmet mounted monoc. but, you're not going to be able to use the head/helmet mount and the M2, in conjunction, w/ any proficiency, because of head alignment and positioning issues.  You would need a head/helmet mt. settup in conjunction w/ an IR target designator (IR laser) like the PEQ2/ATTILA/CORSAK etc.

Others here, WES at MSTN, [url]www.mstn.biz/[/url]doesn't sell NVDs any more but has a lot of history w/ them and a lot of understanding of their capabilities, alimits and liabilities.
Check w/ him, he's not selling them, and does a lot of business here, and elsewhere, so he may not be able to make the "Q" a priority but he's always gotten back to me.  Others here, are also very knowledgable on NVDs, try KevinB, too now that I think of it.  Sorry in advance guys, hope you don't mind, I'm trying to help him out.

Hope it helps.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 7:44:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Sulaco2: Okay so it will probably have to be a Gen2 or 3 inorder to work with an aimpoint or other? Well that makes since. So then the headmount is used in conjunction with the IR laser. Though if I am not mistaken this can be seen by anyone else with nightvision as well, giving them your exact location, right? Interesting? I will drop some of the people you suggested an email and see if they can help me more. Thanks
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 2:22:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's my setup for my carbine. I've gone ahead and removed the redi mag to shave down the bulk a little and the zip tie was a temp solution the night the NVD mount came as my CQB solutions MOUT sling hadn't arrived yet. Keep in mind that when set up in these two configurations the gun is more of a stationary piece or used for observation. If I were mobile I'd go to the helmet mount and shoot via the laser sight.

I've also since moved the Eotech fully forward onto the RAS mount to gain easy access to the controls.

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/074967.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/074968.jpg[/img]

And to answer your question, yes any IR signature that you emit such as an IR laser or flashlight with IR lens cover will be immediately visible to anyone with NVD capabilities. When you use night vision and it's complimentary accessories you will need to use the same discipline you would with a white light or visible laser.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 3:08:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

...So then the headmount is used in conjunction with the IR laser. Though if I am not mistaken this can be seen by anyone else with nightvision as well, giving them your exact location, right?...Thanks
View Quote

...yes, any IR signature that you emit such as an IR laser or flashlight with IR lens cover will be immediately visible to anyone with NVD capabilities. When you use night vision and it's complimentary accessories you will need to use the same discipline you would with a white light or visible laser.

Originally Posted By 1001001.
View Quote

Yup.  And, I forgot to add...

...when set up in these two configurations the gun is more of a stationary piece or used for observation. If I were mobile I'd go to the helmet mount and shoot via the laser sight.

Originally Posted By 1001001.
View Quote

In a defensive/fixed posture the combination is awesome, and very effective, when afforded the opportunity to remain static while observing a position the hit potential is tremendous teaming the 2 technologies, but moving w/ the weapon settup that way is difficult as a cheekweld must be maintained while maneuvering, in order to fully utilize the NV capabilities of the settup.

Thanks 1001001, very nice settup, when my AR's grow up, they want to be just like yours! [;)]

oh, and edblevi, don't mention it.

/S2
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 3:08:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Absolutely, even your TV remote will emit visible light when view through an NVD, never mind we're not likely to see TV remotes in a battlefield [:p]
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 7:15:26 PM EDT
[#6]
So where do you find an IR Laser? Also does anyone know where to get good quality night vision at an affordable price? Are there any places with US army buy back programs? Just wondered?
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 7:56:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Let me start off by saying very nice setup 1001001.

I've played around with NV here and there, and came to these conclusions for myself.

A weapon mounted NV is no doubt for stationary use. ( trying to move while looking through your optic will get you killed before you even meet the BG's )

The darker it is, the better they work. ( in city type areas where there is alot of surounding light, they work well for checking out the deep hard to see spots, which means on with the NV, off with the NV. not worth it )

As far as the fun factor, you won't be able to use them much. ( found myself driving around town at night looking for a dark area to see how far out I could recon. cows. Not even gun guys wanted to go with me )

I think your best setup for NV would be head gear, with a IR aiming laser like the PAQ-4. With this you could use NV in the few situations that it would come in handy without effecting your weapon otherwise.

Keep an eye out on the EE board for a IR laser, The're seen there often.

KZ
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 10:21:24 PM EDT
[#8]
So is there a gun somewhere under there 1?
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 10:23:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Off to the left somewhere.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 5:52:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Well couldn't the NV that 1001001 is using be mounted on some head gear? KZ45 I can see where living in the city would have it's draw backs. Personally I live out in the country where it gets nice and dark. I could use this setup all night long, take it camping, caving, hell it would be all kinds of fun.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 12:48:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Sure you can, it's a PVS 14 and I selected it over the PVS 7 goggles specifically for it's multiple capability features. It came with a headmount but that's somewhat uncomfortable in use. I prefer it with the helmet mount set up. Here's another picture of it on a Pro tec helmet that is much easier on and off than the headset and generally more comfortable.

It was due this set up that I had to go ahead and start working with the CT laser grips (which is what the Beretta pic'd has)as your going to find out quickly that's the only way you can use a handgun with night vision.

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/079098.jpg[/img]

One thing I might mention to you in passing is that you can use a visible laser with night vision, the beams pretty much look the same through the lens. And since with the laser you should be using the momentary pressure switch to activate it any damage to the intensifier tube should be avoidable. You just, of course, lose all your personal stealth advantage that you have with the IR capable ones.  

IR is preferable.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 12:59:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Thinking back to your post, you mentioned "caving". I imagine you mean exploring caves in your area. You might actually be better off with a white light in that area since NVD's limit you significantly on depth perception and peripheral vision. You might walk right into something.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 3:31:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Yes going in caves "splunking" I think is what the prfessionals call it. White light would be the best, just having the nightvision as a back up would be cool, not a neccessity. I was watching a program on the history channel where night vision in the military is starting to use thermal imaging as well in their nightvision. Hell pretty soon there will be no place to hide?
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top