Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/1/2003 6:55:59 AM EDT
I am thinking about putting Trijicon night sights on my AR, but I have some questions.  I have never used NVDs but want to own some in the future.  If using NVDs with an aimpoint will the tritium sights light wash out or interfere with the NVDs in any way.  Also how much easier is it for some one else with an NVD to see you if you have these sights?
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 10:17:14 AM EDT
[#1]
The Night sights shouldnt wash out the nvds. Dont know about other people being able to see the sights.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 10:34:04 AM EDT
[#2]
i have a cheap (500bux) NV scope ( i dont know bout the hi-dollar ones) but if ya use the IR illuminator to help ya see, then YES the other ppl (ones teh scope is pointed at) can see the red dot..i was disappointed in this when i used my scope..the hi-dollar may have more technology to keep ya more stealthy..on mine ya cant see teh beam, but IR lit up itself.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:56:43 PM EDT
[#3]
The closest way to describe a tritum sight when viewed through a night vision optic is "LED on your rifle"  It is quite visable in very dark conditions and will cast a glow on the shooter.  Folding front and rear sights solves this problem.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 10:02:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Depends.  If wear a head mounted NVGs you won't be able to sight the rifle normally.  That's why they have the infared lasers.  Lase target and where dot is you shoot.  If mounting the NVD on to the rifle say PVS-14 with aimpoint the aimpoint dot will appear in middle of NVD.  Other people won't see the tritium very well because of angles.  As stated anyone with NVG/NVDs can see anyone using IR, since IR is a luimating lite.

De Oppresso Liber
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 4:46:13 AM EDT
[#5]
The trijicons tend to cast light back on the shooter in the dark, making your face visible. The effect is not as severe as some cheaper red dot systems, which make your head glow like an Angel's halo.

But in all honesty, unless you are in the military or on some super elite counter-terrorism team, who are you going to be fighting that has night vision?

Yes it is possible, but highly unlikely.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top