Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2004 7:46:57 AM EDT
I put a small nick in my lower last night when I was installing the bolt release. I was using masking tape to help protect it. My punch went right thru the tape. This is a Rock River lower. Any way to patch the nick? It really is a minor nick and I know it should not bother me but it does.

Since I appear to have no manual dexterity any tips on how to protect my lower from me when I build my next one?

Thanks,

Steve
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:49:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Birchwood Casey flat aluminum black in a pen.

And next time, put a couple layers of duct tape on the side of the lower.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:50:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Next time put some thin cardboard on the side, it will give better protection than just tape.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:06:33 AM EDT
[#3]

For your next build, just use more tape and/or use a pair of pliers to press the pins in - less chance of slippage.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:14:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I use the thick, clear, slippery packaging tape.
I also use a roll pin starter/holder from ADCO firearms
Scroll down almost to the bottom, on the right.
That way you are hammering on the end of the roll pin starter, away from your receiver.

Buy a gas tube pin punch and gas tube pusher (especially this one) while your at it.
They also have a dedicated bolt catch punch tool, but with the others, you can skip this one, unless you want every tool, like I usually do.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:16:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I use the hard plastic punches you can get them from Brownells. The black ones are harder and work better then the clear ones. They will not leave any marks when the hit the lower.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:44:15 AM EDT
[#6]
To install the roll pin, I don't use a punch at all.

Instead, you get much more control using vice-grips with a double wrap of duct tape over the jaw that contacts the receiver.  

Fewer things to try and hold this way as well -- I've assembled a lower while in the passenger seat of a truck with vice grips, a flat-bladed screw driver and a spare front take-down pin (inserted from the left to hold the dent while the permanent one is lined up from the right)

It does help if you can slightly taper the inserted end of the roll pin with a small file and use soem CLP.

Cheers, Otto

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:25:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Otto!  My new best friend!  You mean I am not the only one to use Vise Grips?  

OK, guys, me and Otto are the bomb!  No scratched receivers for us!

Look at the thread about Damned Roll Pins.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=200583
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:21:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I use the black plastic, or sometimes the white ones, from Brownell's too.  They work fine and I don't have to admit that I ever used vice grips .
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:05:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

For your next build, just use more tape and/or use a pair of pliers to press the pins in - less chance of slippage.

+1.  AMAZING STUFF !!!! I tried some recently.  I am sold.  Great stuff.  Remember, this is NOT paint.  It is a treatment that stains the Aluminum.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:14:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Next time tape some thin cardboard over the side of the receiver, it's much tougher than tape.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top