Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/20/2002 2:58:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/20/2002 7:52:45 PM EDT by FieroLoki]
Hello all,
I have decided to go ahead and take the plunge and get an AR15. Was thinking about this as a base www.rockriverarms.com/rra_le_a4_tactical_car.htm Is this a good start?
Also, I have some military M16 30rnd mags, will they work with this gun?
What would be some good "Extra's" to get as add-ons?

Thanx
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 4:09:43 PM EDT
Unless you're law enforcement, you'll have to get the Post Ban model, which will limit what you can put on it. Still a very nice rifle though.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 4:57:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/20/2002 4:58:07 PM EDT by Kevin]
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 7:52:06 PM EDT
Well, guess I didnt put enough info. :) I know I will need the Civ version. Which is the same gun except the stock? bayonet thing and flash thing right? As far as the mags, there like 10 years old, so thats before the ban right?

Thanks agian
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 12:26:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By FieroLoki:
Well, guess I didnt put enough info. :) I know I will need the Civ version. Which is the same gun except the stock? bayonet thing and flash thing right? As far as the mags, there like 10 years old, so thats before the ban right?

Thanks agian

As long as the mags are made before 94' or not marked, they are alright. But even that depends on what state you live in.

Keving67
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 12:36:49 AM EDT
I live in Texas. Anything about rifles and TX I should know?
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 2:01:13 AM EDT
Yes in Texas you need to know that there are no restrictive laws. You can carry a rifle concealed in your vehicle and even loaded too. But when the cop sees it and asks for backup and 8 other cop cars pull up you wont think it was such a good idea anymore! Oh you can walk in Downtown Houston with your loaded AR over your shoulder. The Black Panthers did it with AKs last year.
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 4:07:34 AM EDT
Wont be walking in any downtown loaded but hey. :) As long as im ok at home and carrying back and forth to places im ok.
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 5:29:08 AM EDT
Grew up in Texas and moved out in 1985. Never had an issue transporting firearms. I have found Texas police officers to be the most gun loving cops in the country. I have had friends that had their guns confiscated when found in their cars but upon contacting the station got them back. The cops were very polite and wanted to check out the guns to see if there was a history. May have wanted to discourage the transport method as well. Houston for sure and I don't know about the rest of the state banned the pickup rifle rack so careful.
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 5:39:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/21/2002 5:40:25 AM EDT by EX11B]
FieroLoki, welcome to the wonderful world of the black rifle. your gonna find this site very helpful with every firearm question imaginable. and about every other question too!!. your gonna learn about tinfoil hats, the bible, best ammo for a zombie, personal info about other members that you did not want to know, that many people spend way too much time on the computer arguing about subjects that are just plain silly, and lastly, that it is illegal to bring fire onto a plane. dont say i didnt warn you.

Link Posted: 9/21/2002 6:00:59 AM EDT
Welcome !!!

You can find out tons of info on this site .That's what drew me here .

But there is a real "cast of characters " here as well . And that's what makes this a fun place .

Try to cut thru all the BS with tech questions and go to the manufactures sites for the real info and then YOU can decide what it is you need to know .

Link Posted: 9/21/2002 6:56:29 AM EDT
Thanx for the warmed over welcome. this is something ive wanted for along time but just now getting around to acctually doing it. Anywho, I know ill have ALOT more questions to ask so bare with me. :)
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 7:24:03 AM EDT
I think I asked the same question about a week ago. I got tons of excellent help!!! This was really great!

I considered all of the option carefully, and bought a RRA M4 Entry Tactical. I felt this was the best quality/price weapon on the market. I will put a collapsible style stock and a ACOG TA31A on it this week.
Here's the link:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=139803

TSL
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 2:27:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/21/2002 2:28:42 PM EDT by Sharkman]
"I will put a collapsible style stock and a ACOG TA31A on it this week."

You realize that you can only put a collapsable stock that is FIXED IN THE FULLY EXTENDED POSITION on that rifle, right?
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 9:32:20 PM EDT
fieroloki,

i just got my RRA tactical entry two weeks ago and it rocks. you will be very happy. its outstanding features coupled with the reasonable price makes it (arguably) the hands-down winner for a first AR. i did a lot of research, too… and the RRA kept coming out on top; so i bought one.

as far as any "accoutrements"… personally, i'd pass on the pinned "collapsible-style" stock. what good is a "collapsible" stock if it doesn't collapse? seems like fashion before function to me. i just stuck a good ol' A1 stock on mine and it works just fine. imho, anyway.

i've also got an AAC vertical foregrip/ rail mounting system coming shortly. an addition that seems to the hot thing for black rifles these days. i like foregrips b/c of the control + they're comfy for my hands (i have one on my AK). you may want to check it out at the advanced armament website or flip through shotgun news; vertical foregrips for ARs are everywhere!

you may also want to get an AR tool set (spanner wrench, sight tool, AR "multi-tool," etc.). those would come in very handy as you start to learn your way around the rifle.

optics are a very personal preference. you may want to consider a good red dot (ACOG, docter optic, bushnell holosight, ATN, etc.) if you won't be doing much shooting past 100-200 m. i'd like one for mine, but i haven't decided– the iron sights work so well.

oh, and start purchasing .223 in bulk or get to reloading… you're gonna shoot this thing a lot!

that's my $.02, anyway. have fun and good luck!
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 2:38:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/22/2002 3:23:20 AM EDT by NORTH556]

Originally Posted By TomJefferson:
Grew up in Texas and moved out in 1985. Never had an issue transporting firearms. I have found Texas police officers to be the most gun loving cops in the country. I have had friends that had their guns confiscated when found in their cars but upon contacting the station got them back. The cops were very polite and wanted to check out the guns to see if there was a history. May have wanted to discourage the transport method as well. Houston for sure and I don't know about the rest of the state banned the pickup rifle rack so careful.

Not to get off subject, but what do you mean by "wanted to check out the guns"? That's like impounding your car to check your registration! It sounds like total BS. Texas does not require the registration of Handguns or Long Guns. In Texas it is LEGAL TO CARRY A LOADED/UNLOADED RIFLE OR SHOTGUN ON YOUR PERSON/AND OR CAR.

If you get pulled over, when the officer asks to search your vehicle you say NO... Know your rights, as it's not the officer's job to inform you of your rights. If asked if you have any weapons, you say "yes". Tell the officer where they are and offer to clear and give him any weapons you might have, but do not ever consent to a search... If you are doing nothing wrong, they can't just take your guns. If you ever have a problem with a patrol officer, you need to speak to his watch commander, end of story.

If you don't know why you should say no to a search and you live in Dallas/Ft. Worth area, listen to the show, Law and Disorder 105.3FM Sats 730p-900p www.law-disorder.com
Top Top